Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Lol, I wish I could use the excuse of some giant send but I’m reality it was just me being stubborn and dumb. It’s the typical slow crawl of misjudgment thinking that because you made it over the last downed tree you can clearly make it over the next. Just make sure you’re not on very thin ATs.
Firestone ATs?

*Edited Fixed typo

Last edited:

Excaleburr

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Mount Vernon Illinois
First Name
Caleb
Last Name
Burrichter
Member #

Spent a week at Land Between the Lakes in Turkey Bay OHV. Wonderful place to relax and test the rig out.

I’ve recently been in that area. I haven’t been to the Turkey Bay OHV area, but I’ve been buzzing around the forest trails. It’s really pretty out there. I’m basically in a stock Tacoma, with some mud terrains. Do you think I should hit Turkey Bay, or wait until I have some more added to my truck?

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I’ve recently been in that area. I haven’t been to the Turkey Bay OHV area, but I’ve been buzzing around the forest trails. It’s really pretty out there. I’m basically in a stock Tacoma, with some mud terrains. Do you think I should hit Turkey Bay, or wait until I have some more added to my truck?
I would venture to say you'd be fine on the Primary trail. I don't know about further in though.

Pkins44

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kinsella
F

Firestone ATs?
For me that day I was on firestone destination ats and they were thin and fully aired up. So entirely my fault for their puncture.
I will say I was entirely impressed with them though. No road noise at all, great mpg, and even good on rock dirt ice and light snow, unbelievable to be honest. However their thin, and wet conditions off of pavement could get you there but will not instill confidence. But great tires

Reactions: SJ.Overland

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

Lol, I wish I could use the excuse of some giant send but I’m reality it was just me being stubborn and dumb. It’s the typical slow crawl of misjudgment thinking that because you made it over the last downed tree you can clearly make it over the next. Just make sure you’re not on very thin ATs.
Well, that happens sometimes. Once upon a time I would have never thought a branch or a log could puncture a tire. I have driven over plenty. Maybe your post will help to prevent someone else from doing that same thing.

One of the guys in my local 4x4 club who leads most of the trails I run with the club always calls out the logs or branches on or near the trail. He always says it can slice a tire as badly as a rock.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Pkins44

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kinsella
Well, that happens sometimes. Once upon a time I would have never thought a branch or a log could puncture a tire. I have driven over plenty. Maybe your post will help to prevent someone else from doing that same thing.

One of the guys in my local 4x4 club who leads most of the trails I run with the club always calls out the logs or branches on or near the trail. He always says it can slice a tire as badly as a rock.
I would say they do.
D7B05D32-2595-4EF2-80FE-425C422310BD.jpegD7B05D32-2595-4EF2-80FE-425C422310BD.jpeg

Pkins44

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kinsella
Spent a week at Land Between the Lakes in Turkey Bay OHV. Wonderful place to relax and test the rig out.

Reactions: North40overland

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice looking tires on your rig and how it is outfitted. Looking at new rubber for my HD. Used BFG AT's for years, went this last time with Toyo AT2.s. I liked them a lot, but with some med issues, the truck sat about 1.5 years with little or no travel. As such they have heat checking, and one had a blowout at 5 mph, so the other 3 are very suspect.

I'm Looking at tires, the Milestar Patagonias are in my sights along with maybe the Ironman MT's. Living in the SW, the heat just kills tires. For those like me who do not put lot's of miles on my rig, the overall mileage a tire might get does not become the factor it could be. That again is more due to 'heat checking' happening before tread life concerns. It becomes one over the other in almost every case.

What brand are the tires your using, and how do you like them?.........I am willing to put up with some compromises on a mud tire, as I under achieve the national travel average of 12,000 miles a year.....Pre Covid 19 of course:blush:

Fosters

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
Goldhawke
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4NTX
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice looking tires on your rig and how it is outfitted. Looking at new rubber for my HD. Used BFG AT's for years, went this last time with Toyo AT2.s. I liked them a lot, but with some med issues, the truck sat about 1.5 years with little or no travel. As such they have heat checking, and one had a blowout at 5 mph, so the other 3 are very suspect.

I'm Looking at tires, the Milestar Patagonias are in my sights along with maybe the Ironman MT's. Living in the SW, the heat just kills tires. For those like me who do not put lot's of miles on my rig, the overall mileage a tire might get does not become the factor it could be. That again is more due to 'heat checking' happening before tread life concerns. It becomes one over the other in almost every case.

What brand are the tires your using, and how do you like them?.........I am willing to put up with some compromises on a mud tire, as I under achieve the national travel average of 12,000 miles a year.....Pre Covid 19 of course:blush:
BFG Mud terrain KM3's in 315 size...nice and smooth, relatively quiet...long lasting

Reactions: Desert Runner

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
Desoto Falls is a great campground. We don't typically stay in organized campgrounds but that one is the exception. We really like it! Hope you had fun!