Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LaPlace, LA, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Wingard
Member #

Went for a little ride today to let the 4Runner stretch her legs a bit. Nothing at all technical or challenging in any way. In fact, I had intended to put it in 4 high and 4 low when I got off the pavement just to ensure everything is functioning but I forgot to. Anyway, I took advantage of the beauty of my surroundings in the form of Bayou Gauche (bye-you gosh) and tried to get some decent photos of the rig in her completely stock form. It's difficult to get anything resembling decent composition with so narrow a space to work with. Perhaps the drone can create better compositions. I'll have to see about that for next time.

4runner bayou gauche 1.jpg

4runner bayou gauche 2.jpg

4runner bayou gauche 3.jpg

4runner bayou gauche 4.jpg

4runner bayou gauche 5.jpg

4runner bayou gauche 6.jpg

4runner bayou gauche 7.jpg

4runner bayou gauche 8.jpg

4runner bayou gauche 9.jpg

4runner bayou gauche 10.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Went for a little ride today to let the 4Runner stretch her legs a bit. Nothing at all technical or challenging in any way. In fact, I had intended to put it in 4 high and 4 low when I got off the pavement just to ensure everything is functioning but I forgot to. Anyway, I took advantage of the beauty of my surroundings in the form of Bayou Gauche (bye-you gosh) and tried to get some decent photos of the rig in her completely stock form. It's difficult to get anything resembling decent composition with so narrow a space to work with. Perhaps the drone can create better compositions. I'll have to see about that for next time.

View attachment 115603

View attachment 115604

View attachment 115605

View attachment 115606

View attachment 115607

View attachment 115608

View attachment 115609

View attachment 115610

View attachment 115611

View attachment 115612
Very nice, I envy your short trip, beautiful transportation too. Do you use it for off roading , or just pleasure ?

Reactions: Big Easy Overland

Big Easy Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LaPlace, LA, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Wingard
Member #

Very nice, I envy your short trip, beautiful transportation too. Do you use it for off roading , or just pleasure ?
Thanks. We will be using it for off road, the long term goal of which is the Trans America Trail. In the mean time I'll be slowly making mods to improve the capabilities of our 4Runner and learn as much about recovery gear and how to safely use it and all the other off road competencies that will make our adventures enjoyable.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks. We will be using it for off road, the long term goal of which is the Trans America Trail. In the mean time I'll be slowly making mods to improve the capabilities of our 4Runner and learn as much about recovery gear and how to safely use it and all the other off road competencies that will make our adventures enjoyable.
Nice, that's the goal of all hopefully. I'm still working to improve mine as well, S L O W L Y

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Hey everyone. I haven't been on the interwebs much lately but a lot has changed over the last year. I sold the Jeep and the Hiker trailer. Started over with a new (to me) truck and have been working on outfitting it for mountain bike and camping trips.

IMG_20180511_193740.jpg

P5200016.jpg

IMG_20190831_065632.jpg
IMG_20190902_082346.jpg

I still have a few mods to make but the new rig has been working out great for weekend trips in the Northern Rockies.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The beginnings of our multi-purpose/overland trailer..... A chopped 1946 CJ2A.
some suspension work, new wheels and tires, new LED lights and it's roadworthy. Inspected and plated today.

FIRST CLASS RIG. The matching wheels on the trailer really set it off !!

Reactions: Clang

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey everyone. I haven't been on the interwebs much lately but a lot has changed over the last year. I sold the Jeep and the Hiker trailer. Started over with a new (to me) truck and have been working on outfitting it for mountain bike and camping trips.

View attachment 116167

View attachment 116170

View attachment 116168
View attachment 116169

I still have a few mods to make but the new rig has been working out great for weekend trips in the Northern Rockies.
That's a big change. Did you sell the trailer too ?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Like to make that trip myself and stop to smell the roses everywhere I found interesting for more than a few hours !

Reactions: Big Easy Overland

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Do you miss it ?
I've definitely missed having it on a couple trips, but the new rig has been great too. One of the best things about the trailer was being ale to keep it packed and ready to go at anytime. The truck functions similarly. I've been able to leave an overnight bag, and everything I need to camp in the canopy. The bed is always made and is nearly as easy to access as it was in the trailer. Three different times this summer, I decided to camp wherever I was at the time, even though I hadn't planned to stay out when I left the house. With the trailer, you couldn't be quite as spontaneous. The other thing that was really nice about the trailer was being able to leave it at camp and have the truck free for shuttles or whatever. The Alu-Cab tent is so easy to setup/breakdown. I can still be on the road in less than a minute from the moment I decide to go for a drive.