Rescue One! My 1999 Jeep Cherokee!

• HTML tutorial

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

Sweet. I'm actually from Hermitage Pa, like an hour north of Pittsburgh! (Most people have heard of Sharon, Pa which is right next door to my old home) but I moved to west Chester to work for Main Line Overland! And nice Truck81, maybe we'll have to hit some trails together sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Fellow Jeeper

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

Any interior mods done?
I've done a few. And I'm in the process of completing a few more, like a 2000w power inverter hard wired in that big empty pocket in the rear (you'll notice the cut interior panel, I'm going to make a beauty plate to cover the hole and hide the inverter)

In the front I have a mag light and CB

Med kit

Headliner, full Dome/floor interior lights LED conversion and a trail tough net

My every day gear in the rear and fire extinguisher

Constant hot 12v plug, and a volt meter and dual USB controlled by a switch

Paracord grab handles made by my girlfriend!

Last edited:

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Nice. I have my CB mounted in the same place.. My fire extinguisher is in the back too, but mounted on the pillar on the passenger side. I also ran all of my switches up to the right of the shifter, was going to do ash tray but my XJ has factory heated seats and the switches are there. I really like that Gobi ladder, i am going to have to order one soon!

Aaron Mills

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Hermitage, Pa
Member #

I have some time so I'll start by telling you a little about myself. Four years ago I was driving my dad's old four door ford focus station-wagon. I was working in a local cheese shredding plant making some decent money and with my younger brother coming up on 16 I knew it was time for me to get my own vehicle. During the time that I was fortunate to be borrowing my dad's second car I had worked hard and saved enough cash to get something of my own. I knew I wanted a four wheel drive vehicle. All my friends had one and because I lived in a rural area I wanted one to keep up with them when they went off the paved path! So enters a mostly stock 1999 Jeep Cherokee! By the small scratches down the side and the small stock sized mud tires I could tell that someone had previously had this off road but it had no rust, ran great, cost only 3 grand, had just 131,000 miles! I was in love! At the time I didn't have any experience with mechanical work but early on I decided that I wouldn't take my jeep to the shop unless it was something "serious." I started with basic maintenance, things like oil changes, brakes and spark plugs became easy, I soon became capable of doing slightly more advanced things like wheel hubs. Eventually I started doing small modifications. After awhile I decided that this is what I wanted to do with my life. I quit my job, took the money I had saved and went to school for automotive technology. Now, a few years after I graduated I've got a job with a company professionally outfitting four wheel drive vehicles for overland travel! I'm obsessed, I work it, I day dream about it, and above all else I live it! I am more of an off-roader but recently I started getting into overland and it has inspired several more modifications to my jeep! But this is a build thread not a bio! So I'll end this rant with a photo and hopefully the next post will be about my modifications . If you want to know about any of the mods I listed in detail please ask and I'll take pictures and post photos or give reviews! Just let me know!

(Pouring over a map on the hood of my brothers jeep at the last gas station before we left society, we tried to pick our landing spot for the night! From left to right: fellow adventurers Aaron Milz, myself, my brother Greg Galbo and his Girlfriend Kayla, taking the photo and always by my side is another fellow adventure and my girlfriend Carrie)
Yea buddy I'm always glad to go on adventures with you guys :) can't wait till the next one

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

So time for a review. If you've been in the off-road scene at all you know how important it is to protect those gears in your axle, and we all know those flimsy little stock diff covers don't do anything more than keep fluid in. The best thing you can do is upgrade to a stronger diff cover. Since I also tango in the hard core off-road scene I wanted something that would offer tons of protection and could really take a beating. So I went with Poison Spyder's armored diff covers. (The same ones made by Riddler) I've run my front Dana 30 for over two years, and it's taken a beating without any damage nor does it leak. However I have started to wear down the edges of the lower bolts. Im not saying Poison Spyder or Riddler is he best diff cover option out there but if you are serious into exploring the limits of your 4x4 I would personally recommend them. Now for the Juicy stuff! Photos below!

Besides their strength I also love the look of the diff covers! They allow you to paint them to match your vehicle and give your rig a cool look!

The current status of my front diff cover, the rear is much newer and has far less damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron Mills

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

Any info or guide you followed? I definitely need to do that. Looks pretty simple I should be able to make something similar.
Thanks Aaron I somehow missed this comment! I just removed the headlight bezels, took some expanded metal, traced out the shape I wanted and used tiny hardware with washers to hold on the expanded metal. I used tin snips to cut it out. The hard part is finding small enough hardware to where the nuts can fit in the back of the bezel. I'll grab pics in a second!

Last edited:
Reactions: zachtyler

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

Any info or guide you followed? I definitely need to do that. Looks pretty simple I should be able to make something similar.
Here are the pictures I promised! I also went back and fixed my previous post, my grammar was terrible!

The rust is an area that rubs when I use my high lift jack, I paint them every so often. I've been running them for almost four years.

Last edited:

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

Started working on my visors. For almost 4 months now I've been cruising around with them off of my jeep waiting to get the motivation to tear them apart and redo them the way I want them. For the upholstery I followed a video by Matt on his YouTube channel BleepinJeep

Here they are factory.

Without any fabric

Broke down the mirrors so I could paint the casings a textured black and to upgrade to LED bulbs

Cut the fabric so it's ready when the mirrors are! (Note those rockin slippers!)

I decided I liked the factory airbag warning so I taped it off and cut it out with an exacto knife!

Finished painting, just need to touch up around the warning labels

Just waiting for the lights to come in this week, I decided to also get some fake warning labels for the other side. I'm not normally one to do something corny but I found a set of Jeep Cherokee warning labels I liked that at first glance looked factory enough.

I'll post more as they the rest of the parts come in and I finish them up!

Last edited:

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

How much fabric did it take to do your head liner, I want to re do my head liner on my 91 XJ. Your rig is awesome.
Thanks Elan! I think I used around 4-5 yards of fabric around 54" wide. My brother did the project as well on his 97. Both of us had fabric to spare after doing our headliners and visors. BleepinJeep also has a video on how to do the upholstery on he early model Xj visors, they are different than the ones on my 99 or my brothers 97!

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

More goodies in the mail!

A 60" all cast red highlift jack to replace my 48" Reese farm jack that finally quit the bed on me after 2.5 years of use and abuse and constant exposure to the elements. I'm sure it would work after a proper rebuild and I replaced some components but Ive decided to replace it with a high lift! But there's more to come with this upgrade so I'll keep you posted! Stay tuned!

Also if you are interested in wether or not my Reese jack will make it back to life my brother will eventually be reviving it in the future on his build thread, link below!

Last edited:

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I have the same Hilift jack...Also have the base and the accessory bag/kit. It is pretty cool that they are built here in Indiana. I stopped by their facility last year on one of my trips!

Reactions: Jason Galbo