Rescue One! My 1999 Jeep Cherokee!

• HTML tutorial

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

Hey everyone! My names Jason and this is my 1999 Jeep Herokee! My build is about four years in the making now so you're going to have to hang with me while I try to recap everything I've done while keeping up with everything I am doing! But before we get into it let's start with what I have.

1999 Jeep Cherokee
195,000mls and counting!

Motor:
4.0L

Transmission:
AW4

Transfer case:
NP231

Suspension:
2" lift

Front axle:
High pinion D30 with 3.55's

Rear axle:
XJ D44 with a factory LSD and 3.55's and a disc brake swap
(Originally had a D35)

Tires:
32" BFG KM2's

Current modifications include:

1. Lund sun-visor
2. Transmission cooler
3. LED interior light conversion
4. LED license plate light conversion
5. Red plaid headliner
6. Cree LED pods
7. Bushwacker Fender Flares (pocket style)
8.Poison Spyder Diff Covers (front and rear)
9. Swapped in a factory XJ Dana 44
10. ABS delete (necessary for rear axle swap)
11. Rear disc brake conversion (92 Crown Vic)
12. Accel ignition system
13. Optima Redtop Battery
14. K&N air filter
15. Factory bumper chop (stubby for clearance)
16. Next Venture Rock Sliders w/ aluminum step sides
17. Hitch mounted D-ring tab
18. 2" Fat Bob's Garage coil spacers
19. JKS Quick Disconnects
20. Rear Dodge Durango Leaf packs with XJ main
21. JK sport shocks
22. Magna flow high flow cat
23. Borla Cat Back System
24. Factory XJ front steering skid
25. Factory XJ TCase skid
26. Factory XJ gas tank skid
27. Mag light and mount by drivers footwell
28. Midland CB radio and Firestick Antenna
29. Rear dual USB port/volt meter/12v port
30. Rear mounted fire extinguisher
31. Med kit mounted on my rear drivers door
32. Emergency Hammer mounted on center counsel door
33. 15" steel wheels
34. Roof rack
35. Roof rack mounted Reese Jack
36. Roof rack mounted full size spare
37. Bull bar from a fs chevy
38. PA system
39. Headlight guards
40. Limb risers
41. Paracord grab handles
42. Factory XJ tow hooks and brackets
43. V8 ZJ tie rod conversion
44. Electric fan control (works like factory but can be switched to Manual on/off control)
45. Trailhawk badge
46. Trail Tuff Nets cargo Net
47. Gobi Ladder
48. Factory Jeep* rain visors
49. Brown Dog Motor Mounts
50. Alternator Splash Guard
51. JCR Mauler Bumper
52. Warn 10lbs synthetic line winch
53. Factor55 LLC. Extreme Flat Link
54. 136amp alternator upgrade
55. Battery cable upsized
56. Dodge Durango box swap
57. JCR power steering box spacer

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but that's the bulk of it.

By this point your probably wondering how my winch-less XJ earned the name "Rescue One." The name was given to my jeep by my old 4x4 club because I was an active member who always seemed to have the parts needed for the trail fix at hand. What really pushed it over the edge was my stock tie rod I carried with me , since I previously upgraded to the beefier V8 ZJ tie rod I had my original one as a spare. Since I've been carrying it, it has been on 6 different jeeps! It fits the XJ's ZJ's and TJ's which makes it quit versatile.

A list of standard gear I carry on any given wheeling or overland trip includes:

1. Metric/standard socket set
2. Metric/standard wrench set
3. Assorted pliers
4. Assorted screwdrivers
5. Assorted wire/connectors/fuses
6. Electrical tape
7. Wire crimpers
8. Hammer
9. Other misc tools
10. Tire iron
11. ARB tire repair kit
12. Adjustable tire deflators
13. Shovel
14. Tie strap (looped ends)
15. Fire extinguisher
16. Med kit
17. A few flashlights
18. CB Radio
19. Ratchet straps
20. Older model XJ starter (got it for $5, use it as a spare, needs manually jumps but works)
21. Factory D30/D44 diff covers
22. Diff fluid
23. Oil
24. Trans fluid
25. Brake fluid
26. Coolant/water (usually a mix so it doesn't freeze in the winter!)
27. Spare lower factory control arm
28. Factory XJ front drive shafts (fits many applications)
29. Factory XJ tie rod (fits ZJ/TJ/XJ models)
30. Factory XJ draglink (fits ZJ/XJ/TJ models)
31. Silicone
32. Jumper Cables
33. Jump box
34. Sometimes I carry a 2000W power inverter and power tools. I am working on hard mounting the inverter.
35. Reese Tractor Jack (high lift jack)
36. Factory bottle jack
37. High lift jack base
38. Copper Nickel Brake Line
39. Brake Line flare tool kit
40. 3/8's snap on electric impact

I have big plans for this little jeep! Now that I work for an overland company I have access to a lift and fab tools and can do as I please after hours. I hope to keep a steady stream of small mods going to this jeep as I save for a new project vehicle to purchase next year! But enough talk! Now for the juicy stuff!!!!

Some of these pics are older than others and won't have all of the modifications listed, if you have any questions or want to see something in more detail just ask! I also do some more aggressive wheeling with this jeep but since this is an overland forum I will try to keep it tame!

Last edited:

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

Also, how do you like your Gobi ladder? I have been looking at them for nearly a year and have yet to pull the trigger and buy one.
Yesterday was an insane day for me! So I did not get a chance to add to this post or read yours. Today will most likely be the same.

As to the gobi ladder? I absolutely love it! I had a bit of rubbing but over time it cleared itself and I then added some touch up paint where it rubbed to prevent rust! Otherwise it's insanely strong and durable! Even the finish has handled the pa salt and all the off-roading I've thrown at it! And it's fairly light!

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Yesterday was an insane day for me! So I did not get a chance to add to this post or read yours. Today will most likely be the same.

As to the gobi ladder? I absolutely love it! I had a bit of rubbing but over time it cleared itself and I then added some touch up paint where it rubbed to prevent rust! Otherwise it's insanely strong and durable! Even the finish has handled the pa salt and all the off-roading I've thrown at it! And it's fairly light!

I was concerned about the salt and the heavy-dutyness of it. Indiana gets a LOT of salt also. I have to scrape and paint my under body every year to keep it from rusting.

Reactions: Jason Galbo

Pap SJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Love it; I've been a fan of the box-style of the XJs (considering I drive an OBS Suburban, practically a road brick). Not to get on too much of a tangent line, but is this your only rig?

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

Love it; I've been a fan of the box-style of the XJs (considering I drive an OBS Suburban, practically a road brick). Not to get on too much of a tangent line, but is this your only rig?
For now it is, this upcoming summer I plan on getting a second project!

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

I have some time so I'll start by telling you a little about myself. Four years ago I was driving my dad's old four door ford focus station-wagon. I was working in a local cheese shredding plant making some decent money and with my younger brother coming up on 16 I knew it was time for me to get my own vehicle. During the time that I was fortunate to be borrowing my dad's second car I had worked hard and saved enough cash to get something of my own. I knew I wanted a four wheel drive vehicle. All my friends had one and because I lived in a rural area I wanted one to keep up with them when they went off the paved path! So enters a mostly stock 1999 Jeep Cherokee! By the small scratches down the side and the small stock sized mud tires I could tell that someone had previously had this off road but it had no rust, ran great, cost only 3 grand, had just 131,000 miles! I was in love! At the time I didn't have any experience with mechanical work but early on I decided that I wouldn't take my jeep to the shop unless it was something "serious." I started with basic maintenance, things like oil changes, brakes and spark plugs became easy, I soon became capable of doing slightly more advanced things like wheel hubs. Eventually I started doing small modifications. After awhile I decided that this is what I wanted to do with my life. I quit my job, took the money I had saved and went to school for automotive technology. Now, a few years after I graduated I've got a job with a company professionally outfitting four wheel drive vehicles for overland travel! I'm obsessed, I work it, I day dream about it, and above all else I live it! I am more of an off-roader but recently I started getting into overland and it has inspired several more modifications to my jeep! But this is a build thread not a bio! So I'll end this rant with a photo and hopefully the next post will be about my modifications . If you want to know about any of the mods I listed in detail please ask and I'll take pictures and post photos or give reviews! Just let me know!

(Pouring over a map on the hood of my brothers jeep at the last gas station before we left society, we tried to pick our landing spot for the night! From left to right: fellow adventurers Aaron Milz, myself, my brother Greg Galbo and his Girlfriend Kayla, taking the photo and always by my side is another fellow adventure and my girlfriend Carrie)

Last edited: