Reoccurring - Ham Radio Weekly NET - 02/15/2019

• HTML tutorial

badmnky

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

PNW E. WA
Member #

What frequency will you be on? I don't have my license yet, but I'd love to listen in, obviously I can't use echolink yet either. I'm in Spokane, so it's unlikely I'll ever hear you anyway without echolink, since all I have to listen is a hand held.

Reactions: Ruff

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
What frequency will you be on? I don't have my license yet, but I'd love to listen in, obviously I can't use echolink yet either. I'm in Spokane, so it's unlikely I'll ever hear you anyway without echolink, since all I have to listen is a hand held.
Unless someone local to you connects a local repeater to the conference server, you don't have a way to listen in that I'm aware of. Maybe there's a OB member local to you and you could check the net out with them. With a licensed ham, you can check in with them as long as you follow the rules on doing that. Maybe someone will chime in and offer to have you join in with them!

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Unless someone local to you connects a local repeater to the conference server, you don't have a way to listen in that I'm aware of. Maybe there's a OB member local to you and you could check the net out with them. With a licensed ham, you can check in with them as long as you follow the rules on doing that. Maybe someone will chime in and offer to have you join in with them!
@badmnky
I sent you an email also. Almost word for word what Terry responded. When you get your call sign, let me know and I will walk you thru Echolink. We may have a Boot Camp article up by that time also. I am working on it Thanks Brent

Reactions: Dtyo and TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I haven’t picked it yet. At least it wasn’t an option for me.
Canada and US have different regulations. FCC issues you a call here. Some VECs have better linking and can get you your call sooner after testing. The group we use at the club is usually within a few hours. However, as soon as your call shows up in the FCC database you can print your license and begin operating.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Reactions: TerryD

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Reactions: ru108

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Thanks for everyone's support last night! I had a great time running the net and I think it was a great net, especially for our first go at it.

We had 15 check ins including a couple V-land guys and one gent from the UK.

There was a lot of good info passed and I hope it was informative for everyone!

Looking forward to Brent's official report! Hope everyone checks in again with Shane next week!

Reactions: Nate Saca

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks for everyone's support last night! I had a great time running the net and I think it was a great net, especially for our first go at it.

We had 15 check ins including a couple V-land guys and one gent from the UK.

There was a lot of good info passed and I hope it was informative for everyone!

Looking forward to Brent's official report! Hope everyone checks in again with Shane next week!
What I like best about this is the UK participation, we are a worldwide community and this net will help bring us all together.
Awesome Job everyone involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: TerryD

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

For future nets please consider having a look at The Quadnet Array. They multimode dmr d-star and ysf with real time transcoding so everyone can connect in one place regardless of mode. They have permanently linked multiple XRF reflectors with dmr TG 31012 and the Peanut app works wonders from any android device.
Connectios to the Array can be through:
- linked repeaters (if you have one close by) or
- dv hotspots (like I do - I have one permanently installed in my jeep and one at home) or
- Peanut app on android (which I also run on my phone and jeep's head unit.
20181206_170935.jpeg20181202_171950.jpeg