Launch Member

Enthusiast II

NV, USA
First Name
Solifuge
Last Name
Nexus
Member #

Are there any upcoming meetings? And how does one sign up for the email list? Thanks
The October meeting is tomorrow evening 6:00 pm at Famous Dave's BBQ 4925 Kietzke. Some folks come early to enjoy happy hour prior to the meeting. You can sign up for the email list at the meetup or perhaps send HappyOurOverlanding a pm. :sunglasses:

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
RO Patch.jpg Meeting Minutes October 9, 2019
Scott opened the meeting at 6:PM and had the new participants introduce themselves, Welcome! Some found us via Overland Bound and others via FB or Instagram. We were also pleased to have Mark and Sam from Hills Angels group visit and share their insights.

Scott doing Meeting.jpg

Hunter Lake Trail Debrief

A slide presentation was on loop prior at the opening of the meeting for everyone to see snippets of the Hunter Lake Trail Day Run. We had 13 rigs and over 20 participants on the run.

Learnings from the trip

• Only have one lead
  • Be prepared to alter your plan in the event of trail issues
  • Stay with the group and don’t split the group unless there’s an emergency
  • Always lend a helping hand
Thanks goes out to Aaron, Lance, Ken, and Marc for assisting with the broken-down Jeep and safely getting the jeep off the Mountain the next day.

A question was posed to Mark from Hills Angels, as the sponsor of the Hunter Lake Trail, what is expected or looked for on the trail besides basic trash clean up?

Mark first off emphasized that it was important to enlist likeminded local groups to rally together to assist in local events and clean-ups. In this way, trails are not arbitrarily shut down by BLM, National /State Forest services, or local/State governments. By coming together at events, we can be a stronger voice for keeping our trails open.

As for specific trail clean-ups, he mentioned that everything from building up parts of trails, brush trimming, braiding trails, barrier building to keep folks from straying off trail, and other shovel projects were needed based on the tree/brush growth or damage from the elements. Unfortunately, the budgets from the caretaker agencies have diminished or are non-existent. Therefore, getting volunteers and equipment/supply donations is also an important task in trail maintenance.

Bill and Scott (Reno Overlanding) will maintain contact with Mark for involvement in future events and cleanups so stay tuned for more on this topic.

And… now that we have a Trail to watch over (Peavine), it is incumbent on groups like ours to assist in trail maintenance, so trails do not get targeted for closures.

Remember, we will also post cleanups in the Overland Bound website as a trail guardian cleanup rally point. This will also help us pull more help from the surrounding groups. As a side note, the USNFS-Carson District is looking at a Fall clean up. Stay tuned…

Additionally, there is a Tread Lightly online review suggested by Kent R (the OB National Director) that we will ask participants to take. Details on this will be sent out separately.

League of Extraordinary Overlanders

Reno Overlanding has adopted the OB Challenge Coin program and will honor those folk who have gone beyond the norm to assist the Reno Overlanding Group, always steps up to help others, or any other extraordinary action. They will be in the League of Extraordinary Overlanders.

We already have recognized Scott, Marc B., Aaron, and this meeting we honor Ken for his dedication to the group and always being there to help out in any situation.

Lea.png

The Reno Overlanding group thanks you for everything you do.

Upcoming trips

Peavine Trail Sunset Run – Targeted for Oct 18th

Don’t forget to RSVP for the upcoming Sunset Run up Peavine. Here is the Link to the thread on Overland Bound US West - Peavine Peak Sunset Run

Sunset.png

And here is the link to the actual Rally Point to RSVP.

https://www.overlandbound.com/event/peavine-peak-sunset-run/

Packing Lists for Overlanding

Don’t forger to send in your suggestions/comments for the Packing Lists Pamphlet to

Bill at diverman1955@gmail.com

Tech Talk – Rig Check Out before overlanding

Scott handed out a basic check list and then reviewed how each section applies to a rig check out. Whether it is a new, used or gently used Rig, it is vital to do a pre-check of your rig for safe off-roading and to diminish any issues that may happen on the trail.

After reviewing the checklist that covered the interior and exterior of the vehicle to the under the hood and underneath the rig, the participants offered up suggestions…

• If your Rig has a serpentine belt, bring an extra one
  • Bring electrical wire in case of electrical wire burn (gage of wire is important)
  • A full size spare
  • Antifreeze/coolant
  • Bailing wire for strapping if needed
  • Tire plug kit
  • Skid plates should be examined for dents and looseness along with any debris that may be in between the rig and the skids. This could be a fire hazard.
It was suggested that the Exterior body check be changed to anything loose since dings and dents are not usually an issue to OffRoad rigs. AC and Heating are a ‘nice to have’ but not critical to operating a vehicle. However, if you have it, check it.

The final suggestion was made to have a rig check out before starting a run. This would assist in identifying any potential issue that could happen based on the type of trail being run. For example, if it is known that the trail is moderately tough and lifts are required and a non-lifted rig is in the lineup, then that person should be asked not to participate since damage will most likely happen.

Q&A and Suggestions

After a recap and the meeting was closed and everyone went outside to check out Rigs.

See ya at the next event

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok Reno, Looks like I will be moving to your area by the end of the year (end of Nov ish) and woould like to be added to any mailing/emailing list you have.......

Thank you, looking forward to meeting you all!

Jim

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Ok Reno, Looks like I will be moving to your area by the end of the year (end of Nov ish) and woould like to be added to any mailing/emailing list you have.......

Thank you, looking forward to meeting you all!

Jim
Look forward to having you. PM me your email address and I'll add you to the list.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Peavine Sunset Run

On Friday October 18th, 21 rigs met up at the entrance to Peavine road. They weren’t there to go on a long overlanding jaunt or go camping or hiking. They met to drive an easy trail up to about 8000 feet and take in the sunset and views just outside of Reno proper. Sometimes, overlanders just want a simple experience that mother nature has to offer.

Lead by Scott W up the trail, it wasn’t long before the gang was at the top with just enough room for all the rigs.

3.jpeg

2.jpeg

And as always, mother nature did not disappoint.

1.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg

The consensus of the participants was summed up in one word— Awesome! This will be on the ‘let’s do it again’ list for the Reno Overlanding group.

Thank you to Scott for setting up and leading the run.

Attachments

Reactions: Nataqua

andrewksu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Dickson
Member #

Hey all,

Just moved to Reno and looking to get involved and join in on some trail runs. Looks like you guys had a great ground and we'd love to be a part.

We've just been getting familiar with the area, but have really enjoyed how accessible all of the trails are. After living in the Bay Area for 4 years, it's a huge relief to have the freedom to roam!

My family (wife & two young girls) do a trail ride almost every week. Happy to join in or pair up with anyone doing some runs. We are running a 2001 Cherokee with 3" Lift, 31's, limited slip, and no fear of dents or scratches.

Nataqua

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

NV, USA
First Name
Solifuge
Last Name
Nexus
Member #

Peavine Sunset Run

On Friday October 18th, 21 rigs met up at the entrance to Peavine road. They weren’t there to go on a long overlanding jaunt or go camping or hiking. They met to drive an easy trail up to about 8000 feet and take in the sunset and views just outside of Reno proper. Sometimes, overlanders just want a simple experience that mother nature has to offer.

Lead by Scott W up the trail, it wasn’t long before the gang was at the top with just enough room for all the rigs.

View attachment 123002

View attachment 123001

And as always, mother nature did not disappoint.

View attachment 123000View attachment 123003View attachment 123004

The consensus of the participants was summed up in one word— Awesome! This will be on the ‘let’s do it again’ list for the Reno Overlanding group.

Thank you to Scott for setting up and leading the run.
That looks like quite a crew you had for that fun little run! I fully intended to make it being it's so close to home, but my Jeep is having front end issues (a residual problem stemming from the accident it was in last winter.) She's parked until I can get it sorted out with the guy's insurance and repaired.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
That looks like quite a crew you had for that fun little run! I fully intended to make it being it's so close to home, but my Jeep is having front end issues (a residual problem stemming from the accident it was in last winter.) She's parked until I can get it sorted out with the guy's insurance and repaired.
Bummer. Hope it's sorted out soon.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hey all,

Just moved to Reno and looking to get involved and join in on some trail runs. Looks like you guys had a great ground and we'd love to be a part.

We've just been getting familiar with the area, but have really enjoyed how accessible all of the trails are. After living in the Bay Area for 4 years, it's a huge relief to have the freedom to roam!

My family (wife & two young girls) do a trail ride almost every week. Happy to join in or pair up with anyone doing some runs. We are running a 2001 Cherokee with 3" Lift, 31's, limited slip, and no fear of dents or scratches.
Welcome to Reno. Please join us at our meeting too. We meet on the second Wednesday of every month except for January (no meeting). Look forward to you and your family joining us on some runs. If you have any questions, please PM me.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
RO Patch.jpg Reno Overlanding November 13th Meeting Minutes

Bill and Scott opened the meeting at 6:PM with 30 folk in the house. The new participants introduced themselves, Welcome! Some found us via Overland Bound or by an internet search for Reno Overlanding/four wheel groups in Reno and some via FB or Instagram.

Peavine Sunset Run Debrief

A slide presentation was on loop prior at the opening of the meeting for everyone to see snippets of the Peavine Sunset Run taken from a drone. Thank you drone master.

Learnings from the trip

• We had 21 rigs on the run which turned out to be almost too much for a trail run. It was felt and agreed that if so many rigs are present for a run to split the group in half and have them separated by possible 30 minutes.
  • Some of the group decided to go back via an alternative exit. If this is an option on other runs, it may be of interest to plan this type of exit strategy.
  • Make sure folks know what type of weather to expect on the run.
Thanks goes out to Scott for putting the run together. This will be on the future list for a photo outing.

Genoa Peak PreRun

Scott briefed the group on his pre-run to Genoa Peak. Unfortunately, this trail is closed on November 15th so any run will have to be in the new year when it’s open. It’s a great run for Photo opportunities, hiking a few different trails at the top, and doing a refresh on first aid.

Possible Winter Runs

Aaron asked if anyone in the group who are interested in some winter runs. Several said they were. Additionally, he wanted to know if anyone wanted to do a day run to go out for shooting practice. Again, several were interested. More to come on these events.

Toast the Holiday season at the Next meeting

The December meeting will be an open discussion meeting where we can talk Rigs or anything else someone wants to discuss, and just get to know each other.

Scott will have a drawing for some giveaways. No donations are needed to enter the drawing but you need to be present to win. See you there.

League of Extraordinary Overlanders

As you are aware, Reno Overlanding has adopted the OB Challenge Coin program and will honor those who have gone beyond the norm to assist the Reno Overlanding Group, always steps up to help others, or any other extraordinary action. They will be in the League of Extraordinary Overlanders.

We already have recognized Scott, Marc B., Aaron, and Ken. This meeting we honored Lance for always being there to help in any situation, his willingness to help fellow members, and teaching us a better way to start a fire.

2019 Scott-Marc-Aaron-Ken-Lance.JPG

The Reno Overlanding group thanks you for everything you do.

Packing Lists for Overlanding

Don’t forget to send in your suggestions/comments for the Packing Lists Pamphlet to

Bill at diverman1955@gmail.com

Map and Compass Review

A big thanks goes out to Jeremy who conducted the introduction to Map and Compass use.

20191113_183113.jpg
20191113_183123.jpg

He passed on as much knowledge as possible in the time allotted. It was apparent that there is much more to utilizing maps and compass as backup to any electronic map device failure. Because of this, he was gracious enough to agree to have a follow-up training in the field at an upcoming run since hands on knowledge is the best training.

Attached are the slides he used in his overview. Thanks again Jeremy for sharing your knowledge.

Q&A and Suggestions

After a meeting recap, Aaron asked for volunteers during the winter to assist him on recovery calls he may receive. Several folk volunteered to assist and he has added their names and cell numbers to his list. Thanks to those who volunteered.

The meeting was then closed and everyone went outside to check out Rigs.

See ya at the next Meeting

Attachments

Last edited:

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Wow I am really sad I missed this meeting... And hate to inform the group I have been sent to Arizona for work and we just signed a 6 month lease on a ranch and will be staying here.... We will miss you guys a lot and it has been great going on runs with you guys. We still need to come back and get our house packed up for the move and maybe we will get to see some of you then. I was really looking forward to doing a winter run and some shooting too... All of you have been great and a lot of fun to travel with.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Wow I am really sad I missed this meeting... And hate to inform the group I have been sent to Arizona for work and we just signed a 6 month lease on a ranch and will be staying here.... We will miss you guys a lot and it has been great going on runs with you guys. We still need to come back and get our house packed up for the move and maybe we will get to see some of you then. I was really looking forward to doing a winter run and some shooting too... All of you have been great and a lot of fun to travel with.
Happy and Sad for you but you're not that far away. Definitely make sure we get together when you're back in town.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
RO Patch.jpg Reno Overlanding Year End - Holiday Meeting - - December 11th

Remember to Join us for the final meeting of the year. This will not be a formal meeting but a casual get together to talk shop and get to know each other better. Additionally, there will be some giveaways during the meeting (A few in the pics below)

10266.jpeg
10259.jpeg

See you all at Famous Dave's BBQ.