Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Reno Overlanding Fun-Run Inaugural Trail Ride with Map & Video

The day started in anticipation with not knowing how may rigs would show for the Reno Overlanding Club’s first trail ride. It was a clear sunny day with a comfortable moderate temperature. The staging area was the parking lot next to Lemon Road McDonald’s at 9:30AM off North 395. Expecting no more than 8 rigs, based on the responses received, by the 10:00AM departure time we were at 19 rigs ready to roll. This was awesome and quite unexpected. :astonished::sunglasses:

IMG_6932.JPG IMG_6935.JPG

After recovering from the slight shock of such a great turnout we gathered the group and did a brief overview of some trail procedures. Not too long afterwards we were rolling out led by @sierrabob to what the locals call the valley area—Winnemucca Ranch Road.
Reno Overlanding 1st trail run.JPG

With ham radios and CBs at the ready, 19 rigs assumed their respective positions within the convoy. We made our way past the housing developments to our turn-off to take us to the valley between the hills and to get all shades of dirty.
Trail shot.jpg

A bit up the trail the rigs pulled to the side of the road for those who wanted to air-down.
IMG_6945.JPG

About 10 minutes later we were on our way to the first stop—Moon Rocks and a compulsory picture of the rig lineup.
Connie's 19 Rigs.jpg

Since this was a Saturday and there were ATV’ers and motorcyclist enjoying the surrounding trails at Moon Rocks, we continued down the trail to have lunch overlooking Newcome Springs with a view of Newcome Lake.
Last Import - 1 of 20.jpg

But first…. Time to kick up more dust and clean the tires with a North Fork Dry Valley Creek water crossing.
Rigs winding down hill.jpg
Last Import - 1 of 40 (1).jpg
Last Import - 1 of 40 (29).jpg

Now it’s time for lunch.
IMG_6984.JPG

Once lunch and exploring the area was completed, the kids (and adults) were called back and the drones were landed and packed. It was time to move on and climb a short Muddy embankment. Then up a short hill to stop at an overlook adjacent to Stateline Peak to view Honey Lake Basin.
IMG_6987.JPG
Last Import - 1 of 20 (3).jpg

After taking in this cool view, we headed south into Dry Valley. Along the way the 19 rigs maneuvered around part of a washed-out road to follow the trail further into a fire ravaged area and then into a pine forest. This eventually lead us into a vast open area where many slowed down to take pictures of the wild horses.
IMG_E6974.JPGhorses.jpg Last Import - 1 of 2.jpg

Soon it was time for the final water crossing at Fish Spring Creek. After this easy splash through the creek, SierraBob radioed that a herd of several dozen Antelope (Pronghorns) were seen in the open valley so get the cameras ready. Well bummer! By the time the last half of the rigs reached the location he mentioned, there were none to be seen. They all sprinted out of site. Oh well…next time.

After another 40 minutes on the trail the trip was over. It didn’t seem that it took 6 hours of driving through the hidden valley near Reno. But now to be remembered with pictures, videos, and the downloadable map file attached.

Thanks goes out to everyone who joined us on the Reno Overlanding Club’s first trail run. Especially @sierrabob for guiding us and @Kent R for encouraging us to start a local group.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Great trip we had a good time! Well run also.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

BettyWhiteOneSeven

Rank VI
Launch Member

Contributor III

Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
If I recall correctly, there were 3 two wheel drive rigs on this run.
Awesome. Bought a 2WD pickup truck before I got into off roading because it was what I needed at the time. Glad to see thee are 2WD rigs making these trips. Makes me feel a tiny bit less bad about my PreRunner. Lol.

Would love to make it out on the trials with a large group like this one day!

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Awesome. Bought a 2WD pickup truck before I got into off roading because it was what I needed at the time. Glad to see thee are 2WD rigs making these trips. Makes me feel a tiny bit less bad about my PreRunner. Lol.

Would love to make it out on the trials with a large group like this one day!
We would love to have you. Stay tuned, I'll be posting a trip pretty soon after I pre-run it.

Reactions: BettyWhiteOneSeven

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Awesome! Super new to OB, how would I stay in the loop about this trip? Still trying to figure out the app and site and all the features. Thank you!
So to stay current on Meets and trips for the Reno group follow this thread
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/reno-overlanding-meetings-and-trail-runs-thread.17576/

Also, you will find other threads to follow of groups nearer to you who do runs such as Sierra Foothills Overlanding which can be found at this thread https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/sierra-foothills-monthly-ob-meetup-11-21-2017.10663/

You can reach out to our Regional Ambassador @Kent R also. He is a wealth of info.

Hope this helps. Oh, and don't hesitate to ask me anything also. I'd be glad to help if I know the answer or where to get the answer :sunglasses:

Reactions: BettyWhiteOneSeven

BettyWhiteOneSeven

Rank VI
Launch Member

Contributor III

Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
So to stay current on Meets and trips for the Reno group follow this thread
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/reno-overlanding-meetings-and-trail-runs-thread.17576/

Also, you will find other threads to follow of groups nearer to you who do runs such as Sierra Foothills Overlanding which can be found at this thread https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/sierra-foothills-monthly-ob-meetup-11-21-2017.10663/

You can reach out to our Regional Ambassador @Kent R also. He is a wealth of info.

Hope this helps. Oh, and don't hesitate to ask me anything also. I'd be glad to help if I know the answer or where to get the answer :sunglasses:
Thank you! The Reno link works, but the Sierra Foothills one takes me to an error page.