Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midwest
First Name
DJ
Last Name
Drift
Member #

@CQBSquirrel I would recommend a cb radio at the very least so you can stay in contact with the rest of the group while out on the trails. If you need help picking one out feel free to message me.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
OK I called GREENE-SULLIVAN STATE FOREST to inquire about reserving sites. The nice lady I talked to told me they do not do reservations on their primitive sites but that time of year they are never close to full. She said the sites allow 2 tents and 6 people per site so we can compact in if needed. She also recommended we stay in the Wampler Lake camp grounds. She is sending me out information today that will have maps and is going to mark the areas we discussed. When I get those I can scan and upload them to here for everyone. She also said that we can get one day fishing licenses locally or online if we are interested.
Awesome! Thanks for doing the leg work on this.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Ok, so the new guy will try and make it. I have nothing but a stock 4WD Tahoe and no camping gear. The most off roading I've done is taking it into the back yard of my house to drop lumber for my fence. I think you may want to add a maybe the poll.
This meet up is for anyone and everyone. There are several trails there. Also, it's just fun to get away, build a camp fire and hang out with new friends and talk about overlanding. I'm looking forward to learning new things. There is a wealth of knowledge on here. Just come and have fun, and only do what your comfortable with. And with a Tahoe, you can try out truck camping.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Here's some of the gear I'm bringing, so don't worry if you don't have much.
CB radio
Winch
Recovery strap
Shackles
D Rings
Snatch block
Tree saver
Hi Lift jack
Shovel
Ax
Gloves
Bottle jack
Air compressor
Tire gauge
Tire repair kit
Spare tire
Jump pack
Miscellaneous hand tools, sockets, etc.
Credit Card (I drive a Jeep after all, you never know when sh## is going to break :)

I don't have Maxtrax or anything like that. Someday hopefully. Any other items you think I should add, please let me know.

Advocate II

I'll have the following
CB
two way radios
D rings
Shovel
Ax
Gloves
Air compressor (crappy slime combo compressor/flashlight)
Tire gauge
Spare tire
Miscellaneous hand tools, sockets, etc.
Credit Card I drive a Jeep too lol :)
and anything else I can come up with before the trip

CQBSquirrel

Rank II

Member II

@CQBSquirrel I would recommend a cb radio at the very least so you can stay in contact with the rest of the group while out on the trails. If you need help picking one out feel free to message me.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Haha, good tip. I really was just looking for a CB for the past week. Kind of like the Cobra 29LX

Hank_

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson Michigan
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Heise
Member #

I just came across this thread and it sounds like a great time. I should be able to make it. I will be pulling my 1985 Coleman Colorado camper. I should be able to be there Friday through Sunday. I love the scenic off road routes the best too. It will be great to meet everyone. I will keep watching for campground info.

Hank

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I just came across this thread and it sounds like a great time. I should be able to make it. I will be pulling my 1985 Coleman Colorado camper. I should be able to be there Friday through Sunday. I love the scenic off road routes the best too. It will be great to meet everyone. I will keep watching for campground info.

Hank
@Wildland Outdoors has a camping place picked out for us. Most of us sound like we'll be tent camping. I would love to buy a tear drop or m416 to pull behind my Wrangler, but we're saving for a 5th wheel. He called and they said we didn't need reservations. However, if you need electrical, etc., may want to find out if that would require a reservation. That would be great if you can make it. I was planning on heading out after work on Friday, but, may try to head out Friday morning. I would like to get there mid day and get my stuff set up and relax.

SteveR

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marion, Iowa
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Richmond

Hank
We have a TT but would need to pull it with our other vehicle. We may do that if I can talk my wife into it. [emoji16]

Hank_

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson Michigan
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Heise
Member #

The nice thing about the Coleman is it only weighs 550 lbs. I stripped it down to the frame last year and restored it. I flipped the axle and added taller tires. It's a great little camper.

Reactions: SteveR and ShawnR

Advocate II

Looks like all of the camp sites are primitive sites. I'm sure you could set a camper up on the site but there won't be electrical or water.
@Wildland Outdoors has a camping place picked out for us. Most of us sound like we'll be tent camping. I would love to buy a tear drop or m416 to pull behind my Wrangler, but we're saving for a 5th wheel. He called and they said we didn't need reservations. However, if you need electrical, etc., may want to find out if that would require a reservation. That would be great if you can make it. I was planning on heading out after work on Friday, but, may try to head out Friday morning. I would like to get there mid day and get my stuff set up and relax.
Looks like all of the camp sites are primitive sites. I'm sure you could set a camper up on the site but there won't be electrical or water. However there are different places that may have electrical and water hook ups. @ShawnR I am planning on leaving after work on Friday as well, but if you decide to head out in the morning I may see about taking the day off so we can roll out together. Get there and get setup. We can get day fishing licenses if we want to do some fishing or what not.

Hank_

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson Michigan
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Heise
Member #

What kind of fishing? I'm going to take Friday off and head over. I love fishing so I may bring the fishing gear too. Looking forward to summer.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Ok, I'll have to put in for the day off at work and see if I can get it off. Might be difficult, might not. I'm all for heading out at the crack of dawn on Friday and getting there in the late morning. I'll have to check at work tomorrow and see if it's going to be possible. Hoping so. But will see.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
What kind of fishing? I'm going to take Friday off and head over. I love fishing so I may bring the fishing gear too. Looking forward to summer.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
I'm ready for summer too, lol. We should start looking at campground maps and getting an idea of where we want to camp. But yes, bring the fishing poles.

Advocate II

I just got the maps and info from the national forest I called. She has the best spot for us to camp and everything marked out already. Even included how to get to Redbird and a map of Redbird. I'll try to get a pic so I can post it up.

Reactions: ShawnR

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Sounds like this is gonna be a good time. I'm excited about it and have already started making a checklist of things to get done on the jeep before Redbird. I'm not much for fishing but as it gets closer to time of the event I'll see how work is going and see if I can get off Friday too and do 2 nights camping. I haven't been fishing since I was 15, so 10 years lol. Actually 11 years because yesterday was my birthday lol.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Sounds like this is gonna be a good time. I'm excited about it and have already started making a checklist of things to get done on the jeep before Redbird. I'm not much for fishing but as it gets closer to time of the event I'll see how work is going and see if I can get off Friday too and do 2 nights camping. I haven't been fishing since I was 15, so 10 years lol. Actually 11 years because yesterday was my birthday lol.
That would be cool if you can make it. I'm going to check today at work and see if it's even possible for me to get the day off on Friday.