• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hello all,

I've been told that the loops on the front of my truck are for tie-downs not recovery. I don't want to replace the Bumper at this time just add a mount that I can use to get my truck out of trouble if I get stuck.

Does anyone know where I can get a rated Recovery point for a 2006 4runner V8?

I saw that ARB has one for the 2005+ Tacoma but could not find anything for the 4runner (or even Surf)

Boort

UPDATE: 7/2022 Received and installed the Apex Overland recovery points before Last year's camping season. Used them once for a winter recovery (pulling Neighbor's car out of a snow bank). Easy ~45 minute install and no issues since!. Thanks goes out to the folks here for their recommendations. @killallninjas You were dead on regarding the install. Piece of cake. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt337 and Shake

JoshT4R

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Goose Bay (Labrador), NL
Member #

Hello all,

I've been told that the loops on the front of my truck are for tie-downs not recovery. I don't want to replace the Bumper at this time just add a mount that I can use to get my truck out of trouble if I get stuck.

Does anyone know where I can get a rated Recovery point for a 2006 4runner V8?

I saw that ARB has one for the 2005+ Tacoma but could not find anything for the 4runner (or even Surf)

Boort
I was thinking of doing some type of weld on recovery loop directly to the front bumper, something like cutting into the plastic bumper cover and having the loop protrude out. Might look decent if done right. I'll let you know if I make any headway with it

Thanks - Josh

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@JoshT4R
I was thinking of doing some type of weld on recovery loop directly to the front bumper, something like cutting into the plastic bumper cover and having the loop protrude out. Might look decent if done right. I'll let you know if I make any headway with it
I'd like to see what comes of that idea. I saw a Video of a guy who build a rear swing away in the manner that you mention. (cutting away a small portion of the stock bumper cover and welding in a pivot and contact points. It looked really good when he was done.

@NorCalCrisp
The Hitch shackle is on my list. Any ideas for the front end?

Boort

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

@JoshT4R

I'd like to see what comes of that idea. I saw a Video of a guy who build a rear swing away in the manner that you mention. (cutting away a small portion of the stock bumper cover and welding in a pivot and contact points. It looked really good when he was done.

@NorCalCrisp
The Hitch shackle is on my list. Any ideas for the front end?

Boort
An aftermarket bumper will take care of it. [emoji16]

bravoleader

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tigard, OR
Member #

I am not sure if these will work for the 4Runner, but on my GX470 these work great as recovery points and there is a lot of chassis carryover between the two vehicles. Then I use a Treaty Oak Offroacd bridle between the two points.

Treaty Oak Offroad or Trail Tailor front recovery points (http://www.treatyoakoffroad.com/product/treaty-oak-offroad-120-series-recovery-point) (http://www.trail-tailor.com/store/p92/Tow_Points_GX470_120_Series.html)
IMG_0006 by Justin Sweet, on Flickr
IMG_0004 by Justin Sweet, on Flickr

Trail Tailor rear recovery points (http://www.trail-tailor.com/store/p95/Tow_Points_-_60_80_100_Series.html). These are technically for 60/80/100 Land Cruisers, but I just re-drilled the bolt spacing and it worked great, he may be offering the correct bolt spacing now though.
IMG_0615 (1) by Justin Sweet, on Flickr
IMG_0616 by Justin Sweet, on Flickr

Reactions: Crispy and Boort

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I am not sure if these will work for the 4Runner, but on my GX470 these work great as recovery points and there is a lot of chassis carryover between the two vehicles. Then I use a Treaty Oak Offroacd bridle between the two points.

Treaty Oak Offroad or Trail Tailor front recovery points (http://www.treatyoakoffroad.com/product/treaty-oak-offroad-120-series-recovery-point) (http://www.trail-tailor.com/store/p92/Tow_Points_GX470_120_Series.html)
Too bad they are sold out.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Check trail tailor back out...they have more in stock now. Just ordered these:
http://trail-tailor.com/store/p115/Rear_Tow_Points_-_GX470_and_others.html
and these
http://trail-tailor.com/store/p92/Tow_Points_GX470_120_Series.html

the GX470 front frame is identical to the 4th gen 4runner. And those rear points are made for the 4th gens as well.

One more thing, its a much debated topic about the factory tie down/tow points. There are toyota manuals out there that refer to those points as TOW points, not tie downs. I don't believe its absolutely necessary to use something other than them. That said, I prefer something beefier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crispy and Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@killallninjas
View attachment 63738 I just mounted these up today. They are from Apex Overland.
I'm looking into these per your pics and recommendation. Looks like 4 bolts per side, 2 under the SwayBar mount, the big one in the side and one up high. How long did the installation take? What was the procedure you took to install? What tools are needed; Were any special tools needed? What does the top bolt normally hold, Radiator mount?

I'm trying to determine if this is something I can tackle in the drive way (similar to my RCI Sliders) or more involved?

Thanks in advance!
Boort

Last edited:

killallninjas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

@killallninjas

I'm looking into these per your pics and recommendation. Looks like 4 bolts per side, 2 under the SwayBar mount, the big one in the side and one up high. How long did the installation take? What was the procedure you took to install? What tools are needed; Were any special tools needed? What does the top bolt normally hold, Radiator mount?

I'm trying to determine if this is something I can tackle in the drive way (similar to my RCI Sliders) or more involved?

Thanks in advance!
Boort
Super easy to install. I did it in my driveway with basic wrench and socket (I don't remember the sizes). I don't have an extensive tool set. Super, super easy. The toughest part for me was dealing with my slightly bent factory skid when I removed it.

Reactions: Boort

killallninjas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Those are definitely beefy and look strong, but since they're mounted so low and far back, is the front bumper at risk of being damaged or torn off if the pull is at an up angle?
Yeah. If you are pulling at a high enough angle, I suppose it could cause damage. Still a better option than the factory tie downs.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@killallninjas
Super easy to install. I did it in my driveway with basic wrench and socket (I don't remember the sizes). I don't have an extensive tool set. Super, super easy. The toughest part for me was dealing with my slightly bent factory skid when I removed it.
Sweet, Sounds like installing them should be right in my wheelhouse!. Thanks for the info. Now on to adding them to the Xmas list :D

Boort

Reactions: killallninjas