Tree saver
Snatch block
Clevis, x2, vanbest
Gloves, leather, x 2 pair

Need

Clevis, x 2
Snatch block x 2
Tree saver x2
A synthetic winch rope to replace the steel widow maker I have now.

Reactions: Big110 and ce4460

Ranger

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Have

Shovel , spade
Shovel, snow
Hi lift
Winch
Hatchet
Hand saw
Kinetic recovery rope, master pull
Tow strap, non kinetic
Tree saver
Snatch block
Clevis, x2, vanbest

Need

Clevis, x 2
Snatch block x 2
Tree saver x2
Also need max tracks type devices.
Ok, this is my recovery Kit.

1. Shovel
2. Axe
3. Kinetic rope
4. Shackles several ones
5. (not sure about the word) 1 tree band, 4 pull bands. Please correct me.
6. High Lift
7. 2x Dragon Winch Sandladders for sand and mud
8. 2x Steel Sandladders for bridging and heavier problems
9. Winch.

And of course, tools for repair and such.
First Aid kit
Food and drinks for at least one day. More you dont need here in Holland.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: K7CWJ

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

So now i have that kit plus a master pull kinetic rope all stuffed in the warn bag. No more random gear floating around the back of the fj.
Awesome!! Brother I had a 30' 30,000lb strap laying around also in the back of the jeep with some extra glove and just added it to the warn bag as well. Looks cleaner back their again. Lol

Reactions: O.Dfj

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

Have

Shovel , spade
Shovel, snow
Hi lift
Winch
Hatchet
Hand saw
Kinetic recovery rope, master pull
Tow strap, non kinetic
Tree saver
Snatch block
Clevis, x2, vanbest

Need

Clevis, x 2
Snatch block x 2
Tree saver x2
I notice you have a Master Pull Super Yanker in your arsenal, nice. If going to synthetic rope winch line, your snatch blocks should be specifically designed for synthetic. Master Pull has one of the best snatch blocks for synthetic rope, and the lightest!

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Saw this got brought back up..
Here's my recovery gear:
Winch
Shovel
Axe
Kinetic rope
Soft shackle
20' tow strap
30' tow strap
Assorted D ring shackles
Front tow hooks
Gotread sand ladders
Snatch blocks

What I want:

Synthetic winch rope
Synthetic winchline extension
Rear tow point
Tree saver strap
Chainsaw
Factor 55 pro link closed winching system

Here's my gear pod with most of my tow straps ropes and s rings...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Inmused

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Victoria, Australia
Member #

Having finalised my tool kit, it is time to review my recovery kit.

Note that I do not have a vehicle winch. I have just installed a new custom front bar on the Land Rover and a winch will be coming soon. I have only needed a winch twice in the time I have been ovelanding. I prefer to make good decisions...but sometimes I make bad ones.

The Kit

• 1x 800kg snatch/kinetic strap
  • 1x Tree-Saver/Bridle Strap
  • 1x 20m/60' winch extension strap
  • Winch safety dampener
  • 2x 4.7t bow shackles (21mm pin)
  • 2x 3.2t bow shackles (19mm pin)
  • Jack-mate
  • 10m/30' drag chain
  • Thumper air compressor with enough 10mm line to get to my trailer wheels (with dialled inflator).

Not pictured (in or on the truck)
  • 50mm (rear) receiver recovery point
  • ARB style rapid tyre deflator
  • Long handled shovel (Roof)
  • Hi-Lift jack (Roof)
  • 1x set of Maxtrax (Roof. Orange of course)

My most used items are my tyre deflator and compressor, and my Maxtrax. Next would be my Hi-Lift to use with the Maxtrax. I use the Drag chain and winch extension as a manual winch if I get desperate.

Safety Equipment
  • 2kg powder fire extinguisher in the truck and the trailer.
  • Custom first aid kit with fracture and additional haemorrhage support.
  • High Visibility Vest for breakdowns on the sealed road or for flagging obstacles.
  • Good leather gloves
  • Spot Gen 3

Last edited:

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
My Kit has:
  • 6' Tree Saver
  • 6' Recovery Strap
  • 2 D-Ring shackles
  • 30' Recovery Strap
  • Hi-Lift
  • Shovel
  • Gloves
  • Spare Tire
  • Often-needed wrenches, sockets, breaker bar, screw drivers, etc.
  • First-Aid kit
  • Maps
  • Charged smart phone
  • Luci

My Kit needs:
  • MaxTrax
  • Winch
  • Compressor / CO2 Canister
  • Axe
  • Chain
  • More shackles / hooks / other attachment items (can you have too many?)

Reactions: Inmused

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

There is always an exhaustive list of potential items to bring... And everyone always has a slightly different list of what they want and what they consider quality gear...
So, I won't go into my list of gear... Most of it has already been put out there.
What I will add is this. And I've said this before. You are hopefully out there with at least one other vehicle.
The two or more of you should prior to leaving on this trip go through your recover gear together. It is always a good idea to know where your gear is as well as what it is. And to know where the gear of your companions is stored and what it is... That way, if you need it, and they are not in a position to move, You'll know where it and you can get to it.

I wouldn't worry about having more than one of something either... I've been in a few recoveries that took many multiples of certain recovery gear...
First to mind is a flopped Jeep on a V cut down hill... Took us 4 winches, 3 of them on snatch blocks, a bunch of shackles,
plus a few straps, tree straps and others... You never know what you'll need in a recovery till you're in the thick of it.

Reactions: Captain Josh

raycie

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Kapolei, HI
Member #

Wonder how many people don't use winches and just have a hi-lift to use as a come along...

I don't have a bumper currently, and not sure if I will be needing one. Thought about a fring hitch reciever and a hitch mounted jack, but not sure of that either.
Currently have a 60" hi-lift, hi-lift winch kit, 5' of grade 70 chain for the truck end, 15' of chain for the winching end, and am planning to pick up 50' of synthetic winch extension, and a snatch block. I know that a come along is a lot more work, but this would be for the (rare) cases that I am the only truck and other options like TREDs don't work. The daily driver weight would be saved as well and could winch from all sides of the truck.

Thoughts?

Inmused

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Victoria, Australia
Member #

There is always an exhaustive list of potential items to bring... And everyone always has a slightly different list of what they want and what they consider quality gear...
So, I won't go into my list of gear... Most of it has already been put out there.
What I will add is this. And I've said this before. You are hopefully out there with at least one other vehicle.
The two or more of you should prior to leaving on this trip go through your recover gear together. It is always a good idea to know where your gear is as well as what it is. And to know where the gear of your companions is stored and what it is... That way, if you need it, and they are not in a position to move, You'll know where it and you can get to it.

I wouldn't worry about having more than one of something either... I've been in a few recoveries that took many multiples of certain recovery gear...
First to mind is a flopped Jeep on a V cut down hill... Took us 4 winches, 3 of them on snatch blocks, a bunch of shackles,
plus a few straps, tree straps and others... You never know what you'll need in a recovery till you're in the thick of it.
Well raised points.

I also have my vehicles recovery, emergency and shelter in place capabilities listed in my Emergency and Recovery Protocols document what is lodged with my emergency contacts.

Inmused

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Victoria, Australia
Member #

Wonder how many people don't use winches and just have a hi-lift to use as a come along...

I don't have a bumper currently, and not sure if I will be needing one. Thought about a fring hitch reciever and a hitch mounted jack, but not sure of that either.
Currently have a 60" hi-lift, hi-lift winch kit, 5' of grade 70 chain for the truck end, 15' of chain for the winching end, and am planning to pick up 50' of synthetic winch extension, and a snatch block. I know that a come along is a lot more work, but this would be for the (rare) cases that I am the only truck and other options like TREDs don't work. The daily driver weight would be saved as well and could winch from all sides of the truck.

Thoughts?
I don't have a winch, but I do carry the gear to convert my Hi-Lift into a hand winch.

I have also practised using it as a winch. No use doing it for the first time when adrenaline is pumping. Accidents WILL happen.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
I don't have a winch, but I do carry the gear to convert my Hi-Lift into a hand winch.

I have also practised using it as a winch. No use doing it for the first time when adrenaline is pumping. Accidents WILL happen.
Especially with a Hi-Lift. Everyone with one should do this regularly.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I have just got the kit to make the hi-lift into a "winch" but I need chain. Once we do that it is practice and learning. I do carry 2 snatch straps, D rings, shovel, saw, hatchet, hi-lift with the wheel lift attachment, gloves, jack boards, I am also going to be buying some Max Trax soon before going to the outer banks.

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Tree-strap, snatch-block, strap, chain, gloves, axel strap. Small d-rings, large d-rings, hitch d-ring, and since I'm stock right now...[emoji12]

'11 Rubicon ; '09 Outback ; '09 Yamaha FZ1

raycie

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Kapolei, HI
Member #

Played a bit with my hi-lift as a come along... yes it is work, and slow going, but will work if all else fails. Again, will only be using if alone (rare), and other things (i.e. backing out, TREDs) don't get my out