Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

What's in my recovery kit? Me - 'nough said

CB Radio
Front/rear recovery points
3 - shackles (1 being oversized)
10' ARB tree trunk protector (mainly used for making a bridle in the front)
30' ARB snatch strap
2 - snatch blocks
Engo 9k winch
Sharpened spade shovel

In addition I also carry a BLS med kit, 120+ piece tool kit, tankless on-board air, and gloves.

I'm looking to add two additional snatch blocks, one additional tree trunk protector, 4 traction mats (undecided on the brand) plus a highlift jack with accessories

Reactions: SLO Rob

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I know this list is very inclusive to encompass more than just recovery gear. I created this by researching multiple lists on other sites, my personal preferences and watching others I go out with. There are items on this list that are solely based on duration and location of the trip. Feel free to use and adapt to your travelling style.

Attachments

Reactions: Mad Garden Gnome

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

What's the most important item in your recovery kit?

Experience and my brain.

Seriously, I think there are a lot of people out there who think they know recovery and how to use the gear but in reality, do not. Or, they just buy the cheapest kit they can find and do little to no research on what they should be purchasing and how to properly use it. If you don't know the WLL or Safety Factor of your equipment, you should find out. Always buy your equipment from a reputable dealer/reseller.

Generally, I'll only use my own recovery equipment unless it's with friends I've wheeled with for a while and know what they have. If there's any a questionable piece of kit in a setup, I'll replace it with something from my own kit.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Lots of stuff already covered here but don't think anyone has mentioned an exhaust or air bag jack?

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I know this list is very inclusive to encompass more than just recovery gear. I created this by researching multiple lists on other sites, my personal preferences and watching others I go out with. There are items on this list that are solely based on duration and location of the trip. Feel free to use and adapt to your travelling style.
Thanks for the list.

Reactions: Gunnermoose
J

Jonovision

Super winch lp 8500
air zenith ob2
blue sea/optima dual battery
1/2" drive socket set
1/4" drive socket set
1/2" breaker bar
1/2" torque wrench
multi bit driver
obd2 reader
35mm axle nut socket
9x 3/4" clevises
8' tree saver
2x 20' 15,000lb dynamic recovery straps
mechanic gloves
nitrile glove
wd-40/dust and dirt resistant formulation
bbq lighter
hitch recovery point
10lb ABC fire extinguisher
2 person 2 day first aid kit
avalanche shovel
arb deflator
arb inflator
20' air line
48" hi-lift

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Greetings. I'm going on OTG but will not have my rig fully outfitted. I'd like to include some basic recovery gear designed to replace a winch... Any recommendations? Specific Items and preferred manufacturers. Thank you.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@ce4460 i went last year to OTG as quite inexperienced nor necessarily "outfitted". I would say shackles/recovery points front and back. It's a tight trail with a very large group that is slow moving. You'll never be without a dozen folks ready to jump in to help. I saw maxtraxx used once, as a 2wd Tacoma on street tires made a valiant attempt. (Didn't make it) and one starter broke on an epic older rig...there was a shop open and another bought and installed. Other than that, I didn't see any recovery, snatch etc at all. I never saw a winch used.
Any "tough spot", we lined up, had at least 10 cameras ready, and spotters all over the place!
That being said, recovery points and your own snatch strap would be a good start to build upon. I talked to people and looked at their set ups and made a "shopping" list through the weekend. It was honestly like school for me and everyone was ecstatic to share what they know and especially talk gear!
I now have a more built up recovery kit. OTG was the perfect, safe classroom of sorts, with fantastic teachers.

Reactions: Steve and ce4460

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
@ce4460 i went last year to OTG as quite inexperienced nor necessarily "outfitted". I would say shackles/recovery points front and back. It's a tight trail with a very large group that is slow moving. You'll never be without a dozen folks ready to jump in to help. I saw maxtraxx used once, as a 2wd Tacoma on street tires made a valiant attempt. (Didn't make it) and one starter broke on an epic older rig...there was a shop open and another bought and installed. Other than that, I didn't see any recovery, snatch etc at all. I never saw a winch used.
Any "tough spot", we lined up, had at least 10 cameras ready, and spotters all over the place!
That being said, recovery points and your own snatch strap would be a good start to build upon. I talked to people and looked at their set ups and made a "shopping" list through the weekend. It was honestly like school for me and everyone was ecstatic to share what they know and especially talk gear!
Thanks SLO Rob, that helps.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Just got a surprise at my door while sitting on the recliner. I bought a Warn winch about a month ago and with proof of purchase you get a medium heavy duty recovery kit. Hopefully this is a good start to my Overland Jeep I'm building and just might need a little bit more stuff to complete the kit. Couldn't be more happier with this free kit.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I need a winch and that's a nice perk.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Just got a surprise at my door while sitting on the recliner. I bought a Warn winch about a month ago and with proof of purchase you get a medium heavy duty recovery kit. Hopefully this is a good start to my Overland Jeep I'm building and just might need a little bit more stuff to complete the kit. Couldn't be more happier with this free kit.

Dude im waiting on that kit warn needs to hurry up and send me some free stuff lol.

Reactions: Jose

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I need a winch and that's a nice perk.
Thanks bud, they still have this perk going on until 8/31 and now they have another one where the winches are starting at $399.99. Look them up on the web you might be able to get what your looking for for a sweet price.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I'm checking it out online now. Thanks much.

Reactions: Jose

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Dude im waiting on that kit warn needs to hurry up and send me some free stuff lol.
Lol! I feel you brother I was the same way always looking at my front door when I would pull up from work and see nothing. Lol then tonight it came in. Well worth the Waite though.

Reactions: O.Dfj