Recovery Kits

• HTML tutorial

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Strictly recovery speaking here, not including any first aid or anything like that. I do NOT have a winch. Maybe someday who knows, I'm always adding and removing things from this list. Probably forgetting a few things but...

Always in/on the truck:
Hi-Lift X-Treme + Base + Rock Slider Adapter + Lift Mate
Full set of tools

Contained within 4 RotoPax black storage containers:
Warn Epic tree trunk protector
Warn 2" x 30' premium recovery strap
Warn epic shackle (x2)
Gorilla shackle (x4)
Bubba Rope 3/4" x 20' + 7/8" x 30'
Bubba Rope life saver
Bubba Rope Gator Jaw (x2)
Heavy duty towing strap 2" x 20' (x2)
Ironclad EXO impact gloves (x3 pair)
ESEE 5P knife

In drawer:
Council Tool Axe
Crovel Shovel
Silky POCKETBOY saw

When leaving urban/paved areas I include:
Midwest Rake mud shovel
The Source S-KIT 10B Air System + all relevant air up/down gauges & tools
Husqvarna 435 chainsaw (if needed)
MaxTrax (x2)
Powerbuilt Unijack

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

To the OP: please be sure to articulate, in whatever you are writing, that hardcore "offroading" is not a fundamental part of "overlanding." They do tend to overlap, but lots of people have also had fantastic overlanding experiences in stock 2WD vehicles, with little more than a shovel and maybe some traction mats.

This is certainly not to say I am against this overlap! I just bought a 2nd 4runner just I could keep one relatively clean (33s with a 2" lift) while I go a bit crazier with the other to increase capability and confidence which will hopefully let us reach more remote places. I will also use it for general wheelin' as well, though! I even had the vendor swap out the rear coils in my lift kit because I knew I would be carrying a good bit of weight in recovery gear on a daily basis, not to mention family, dogs, and gear probably 2 or 3 times a month! Hopefully the rig will be largely build by July, save for the new diff gears (probably coming in the Fall).

So, I am all for building a sweet "overlanding" rig, but please be sure not to confuse prospective overlanders by implying that all these fancy gadgets are *needed* for this hobby!

I am looking forward to reading whatever you compile!

Oh, and the kit I am putting together now:

-60" Hi Lift
-Home-brew Hi-Lift winching kit (as a back up / alternative / assistant to the bumper winch)
-Hi-Lift Lift-Mate (lifts the wheel itself)
-Hi-Lift slider cradle / mount
-2x Tree savers
-1x winch extension line
-1x Snatch Strap
-Compressor and tire deflator (I consider this a recovery item because it could easily make the difference between digging/winching and simply driving)
-Shovel

Coming eventually
-Home-Brew Alum Sand / Bridging ladders
-Pull-Pal

Reactions: ClarkT and ASNOBODY

ClarkT

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Clark
Last Name
Glenn
Member #

I have had so many incredible experiences in 2wd vehicles off the beaten path. I used to bring a cable come-along sometimes just for something simple like light sand in a 2wd. I truly believe that they number one piece of recovery gear is a good head on your shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

My recovery kit comprises of the following
12000lb winch
Shovel
Axe
Saw
Kinetic rope
Rope
Several shackles
High lift
Waffle boards
2 x snatch blocks
Tree saver
Winch extension strap
Compressor
Tyre repair kit
Spare fuel
Tool kit
Selection of spares
Jump leads
First Aid kit
Food
Drink
Sleeping bag
Comms system walkie talkies, cb and uhf/vhf radio

What could I do with out what I got rid off was the bottle jack that came with vehicle.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
My recovery bag. This is what I carry, not including the bits mounted to vehicle:
IMG_0627.JPG
I keep my Maxtrax on the rack:
image.jpg
HiLift and Pull-Pal on my tire carrier:
IMG_0440.JPG
My Xjack is between sports cage and back window:
image.jpg
I have a compressor under the hood, with a 2.5gal tank under the vehicle (between frame rails, with its own skid plate).

This is my current set up, but stuff gets added and subtracted based on conditions and destination. I tend to carry more if I'm alone, and less when out with a group.

Attachments

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

I wheel in 2wd most of the time... No need waste gas
That being said... I would much rather have the tools prepared than not have them.
The #1 most essential tool is always the one between your ears... Second to that will always be the one tool you didn't pack

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I wheel in 2wd most of the time... No need waste gas
That being said... I would much rather have the tools prepared than not have them.
The #1 most essential tool is always the one between your ears... Second to that will always be the one tool you didn't pack
I totally agree. Knowing how to perform a recovery is important. I have been blessed with opportunities to attend off road driving schools. Much of the gear I carry, is because of the training and past experiences with self recovery.