Recommendations for Rain Gear

• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hello all, I'm looking for some input by those of you used to camping, hiking, photographing, & over-landing in the rain. I'm equipt for snow and staying out all night in cold weather but rain is not much of an issue here in Co. It either hits and runs or floods and cancels the trip (or as in 2013 closes down towns for a few days).

I'm planning a trip to the PNW and from what I'm seeing in the average weather for the current plan has a better than 50/50 shot of having more than a couple of days with rain.

Can those of you with experience weigh in on what types of rain gear you use and would recommend for spending a day or 2 hiking / backpacking along the Washington and Oregon coast. My pack is weatherproof as are the truck and tents. So I'm asking about what works for staying comfortable in the field till we get back to camp.

Boort

Jasalvas

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Petaluma, CA
Member #

I have used Arc'teryx gear for years and have never been disappointed. I currently have the Beta AR pants and Beta AR jacket. Solid combo and will meet and surpass any weather you put them through. I have used the gear while hiking and camping in the rain. Last winter I re-shingled part of my roof in the pouring rain to repair a leak. The abrasive shingles caused no damage to the pants... I simply love their gear. In my overall experience with rain gear, you definitely pay for what you get. It all depends on how you buy tools/gear, buy it to get you through a trip/day or buy gear that will last seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Luckily there are ton of options out there. Since you are backpacking I'm assuming that weight is a priority, did you have a budget in mind?

Outdoorgearlab has a great set of reviews of rain jackets and pants, ranging from inexpensive to expensive, light to heavy, and breathable to not-breathable.
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/clothing-mens/best-rain-jacket
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/clothing-mens/best-rain-pants

Personally, I take a Marmot PreCip jacket and pants camping because they are fairly light, work well, and are quite inexpensive so if I get them dirty or torn it's not a huge deal.

But... if you are going to be backpacking out in the rain for several days and temperatures are going to be mild you might just want to resign yourself to being wet since even the best waterproof shoes are likely going to soak through eventually and it will be hard to dry them out. One school of thought is to make sure your gear is protected and wear a jacket, but then wear shorts and shoes that can get wet. You definitely would need to keep an eye on your feet though, just a thought.

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Jasalvas , @slomatt

I was able to try on the Arc'teryx Gear last weekend but even the largest size is not cut to fit me, and would be way too tight for hiking with any layers on under it. This is basically the same problem I have for my existing gear from when I was a Boyscout.

I'll see what I can find from the linked reviews.

I still have not gotten around to thinking too much about shoes. Current plan is likely going to be my Keen boots, with a pair of either NB trainers or some new sport sandals if the boots get too wet. We've got a couple of stops along the way where we'll have access to a washer/dryer to deal with things that get either too soiled or wet.

Boort

Jasalvas

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Petaluma, CA
Member #

@Jasalvas , @slomatt

I was able to try on the Arc'teryx Gear last weekend but even the largest size is not cut to fit me, and would be way too tight for hiking with any layers on under it. This is basically the same problem I have for my existing gear from when I was a Boyscout.

I'll see what I can find from the linked reviews.

I still have not gotten around to thinking too much about shoes. Current plan is likely going to be my Keen boots, with a pair of either NB trainers or some new sport sandals if the boots get too wet. We've got a couple of stops along the way where we'll have access to a washer/dryer to deal with things that get either too soiled or wet.

Boort
You may want to look into Patagonia products as well. I haven't purchased any of their rain gear but everything else I have purchased runs large and seems to have a fuller fit for me. Good luck with your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

All

Thank you for the input. I ended up going with the Columbia Watertight jacket and some no name rain pants. Also per @slomatt suggestion I picked up a pair of quick dry zip off pants for splashing in the surf and streams. This setup worked well and kept me comfortable in the rain, wind, fog and night hikes we took.

Boort