First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Amen!
Especially the Xterra, wasn’t it specifically built for this stuff?
Pretty much, yeah. I've had instances where I was able to get over an obstacle in 4hi, and the jeep behind me ended up needing lockers and 4lo to make it over.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Amen!
Especially the Xterra, wasn’t it specifically built for this stuff?
Pretty much, yeah. I've had instances where I was able to get over an obstacle in 4hi, and the jeep behind me ended up needing lockers and 4lo to make it over.
That’s probably the craziest and funniest thing I’ll hear all day. What’s he on some subpar tires or something?

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
That’s probably the craziest and funniest thing I’ll hear all day. What’s he on some subpar tires or something?
Nope! Ko2s, and I'm on worn down toyo at2s. It was hilarious!
It sure is!

Sounds like you are better at finding the right line than some jeep owners lol

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
It sure is!

Honestly, I think it was more a matter of momentum than anything else. I may have just used a bit more skinny pedal than he did.

I would have high centered in the Fronty though.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
It sure is!

Honestly, I think it was more a matter of momentum than anything else. I may have just used a bit more skinny pedal than he did.

I would have high centered in the Fronty though.
Ooh, you got my attention. Why so on the fronty but not the x?

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Ooh, you got my attention. Why so on the fronty but not the x?
Wheelbase and ground clearance. D22 X VS D40 frontier. The Fronty has all season tires VS all terrain (albeit worn) tires.
Noted! I thought there was an inherent flaw in the frontiers, but going d22 to d40 would def make a difference there

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Noted! I thought there was an inherent flaw in the frontiers, but going d22 to d40 would def make a difference there
Nope. I'm not aware of any flaws per se, other than SMOD and timing chain guides, which were resolved after 2010.

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

The short wheelbase is definately a plus. my fiance has a 2000 ford ranger ext cab 4x4 on same size tires as mine with about the same lift. The steering is more precise due to having rack and pinion but the 125" wheelbase compared to my 104.3 makes it not so pleasant off road. The xterra, full u-turn on three lane road. The ranger, 2 point turn at best. Anytime I know I'm going deep back in the woods I'm going to take xterra without a doubt.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
The short wheelbase is definately a plus. my fiance has a 2000 ford ranger ext cab 4x4 on same size tires as mine with about the same lift. The steering is more precise due to having rack and pinion but the 125" wheelbase compared to my 104.3 makes it not so pleasant off road. The xterra, full u-turn on three lane road. The ranger, 2 point turn at best. Anytime I know I'm going deep back in the woods I'm going to take xterra without a doubt.
Makes sense. I have a D22 extra short Crew cab and WD22 (wife’s) I haven’t noticed much of a difference between the two. But now I’m picking up what you’re putting down

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Makes sense. I have a D22 extra short Crew cab and WD22 (wife’s) I haven’t noticed much of a difference between the two. But now I’m picking up what you’re putting down
The turning radius of the first gens is WAY better than the second gens. I've noticed that vehicles with steering racks don't turn NEARLY as well as those with pitman/idler arm setups.

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Yeah. the xterra is so stinking easy to drive in tight parking lots and traffic without even thinking about. It just whips right where you point it. The ranger on the other hand, NOPE! You have to really think about where the wheels and the side of the truck is. It's kind of frustrating at times.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
A little update.

I spent last weekend disassembling and painting my drawer system (finally).

While it was out, I figured I'd take the time to clean up, and properly secure all my wiring in the back.

Went from this:

To this:

Much better looking, IMHO. now I need to get the hardware reinstalled, and get it back in the truck.

I've also found a metal switch box that will fit in the cubby in the center stack that I'm going to buy to replace my cheap plastic switch holders.

Then I need to figure out some folding legs to support the front of the sleeping extension.

That's all for now. If I can find time to get it back in today, I'll update the post.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
A little update.

I spent last weekend disassembling and painting my drawer system (finally).

While it was out, I figured I'd take the time to clean up, and properly secure all my wiring in the back.

Went from this:

To this:

Much better looking, IMHO. now I need to get the hardware reinstalled, and get it back in the truck.

I've also found a metal switch box that will fit in the cubby in the center stack that I'm going to buy to replace my cheap plastic switch holders.

Then I need to figure out some folding legs to support the front of the sleeping extension.

That's all for now. If I can find time to get it back in today, I'll update the post.
Looking good Brian.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Looking good Brian.
Thanks Mike! I also took the time to build a wiring diagram, so that in a year, I can look at it, and understand what this mess of wires actually does!

Although, in the diagram, I just realized that the rooftop light bar switch goes to the wrong relay! Whoops!! Fixing that in the diagram right after I post this....;)

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks Mike! I also took the time to build a wiring diagram, so that in a year, I can look at it, and understand what this mess of wires actually does!

Although, in the diagram, I just realized that the rooftop light bar switch goes to the wrong relay! Whoops!! Fixing that in the diagram right after I post this....;)
Do you use Sketchup? They have plugins for doing wiring diagrams as well.