Rath's Trailer Build - First Test Pull Done!

• HTML tutorial

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'll look into it. I'll be ordering it through one of my customers who buys metal (they get a much better deal, large quantities and what not) so if they can get that I'll go that route then. Thanks!
They should be able to...tell them the length you need... the stuff ain’t cheap

FLwelder

Rank 0

Contributor I

Naples, Florida
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Reed
quick question, am I right in thinking that a 2.5" x 2.5" square tube with a 1/4" wall would allow a 2" hitch to slide in?
Yes you can do it that way but you will have slop on the hitch. Some guys drill a hole in the receiver and weld a nut on the hole that way they can screw in a bolt against the hitch so it will take up the slop and not be banging around. You can also go to tractor supply or Harbor freight or various other places and they have the receiver material in small sections ready to go all you have to do is weld it on.I make these all the time.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
They sell receiver tubing... and it’s called just that... it comes in 20’ sticks, but your metal store should be able to cut it to length.

the next best thing is what you already proposed.
This. ^^^
I misread your question. You buy receiver tube. Its basically seamless. For some reason I was thinking you wanted to go outside the receiver tube. When I have something like that, I sand down the outside a little on my belt grinder for fit. For a receiver, I normally go 8" long minimum. When I buy my metal, I normally buy a 24" piece. I also have three or four feet of the hitch steel to go into that.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Any trailer supply place will sell premade receivers with the hole drilled in it and even a band around the exit for strength. I think I paid $13 for mine.
$13 for a 4 foot piece of tube? nahhh :P

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Keep in mind I'm in Canada.
unfortunately things like this are much more expensive up here.
I know, that’s why I posted USD... then add your currency exchange rate, and it comes out to about the same as the Amazon link

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

It's not just a matter of exchanging currencies, Lol that's not how it works, I wish it was.

I'll have my guy price one out, but anything I've found so far in my quick googling has been around $40 for a 2 foot piece. That's not taking shipping into consideration either.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Honestly it would probably be cheaper to drive to Grand forks ND, and buy one from home Depot LOL

Yeah, it's that bad on some things price wise.

Back in 2007 when building our house, we bought as much as we could down south. (regulations and certifications meant we couldn't get everything) but we saved approx 30,000 on materials alone by doing that. Gives a bit of an idea.

Looking more, I'm seeing at least $110 without shipping for what I'd need. Which is silly considering I can get square tubing cheaper than that. But I'm sure I can find something. After all, it's not about what you know. But rather who you know. I'm sure I can get a deal from someone I know

Reactions: M Rose

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

alright, I will be ordering steel next week!

had some extra lumber so I finished off the framing just to get a good visual.

Anyone have thoughts on using 1.5" wide 1/8" thick angle iron for the corners, and 2" wide 1/8" flat bar for the side uprights? using 1" 1/8" wall square tube as an upper perimeter? would this be sturdy enough? with using 1" wood deck boards (stained/treated) as the sides?

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Now you need the Flinstone Car to tow it with... if Barney Rubble were an overlander !!!
Just kidding with you. This is going to be a great trailer when you are done.

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

Honestly it would probably be cheaper to drive to Grand forks ND, and buy one from home Depot LOL

Yeah, it's that bad on some things price wise.

Back in 2007 when building our house, we bought as much as we could down south. (regulations and certifications meant we couldn't get everything) but we saved approx 30,000 on materials alone by doing that. Gives a bit of an idea.

Looking more, I'm seeing at least $110 without shipping for what I'd need. Which is silly considering I can get square tubing cheaper than that. But I'm sure I can find something. After all, it's not about what you know. But rather who you know. I'm sure I can get a deal from someone I know
it's funny to me that you think North Dakota is down south. Those of us in the south consider that far north

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

it's funny to me that you think North Dakota is down south. Those of us in the south consider that far north
Funny indeed! Just a 1 hour drive away. But somehow it's still "down south" lmao.

Progress on trailer, things came up and buying metal was put on hold for about a week or two. The joys of adulthood.

Reactions: old_man

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

Funny indeed! Just a 1 hour drive away. But somehow it's still "down south" lmao.

Progress on trailer, things came up and buying metal was put on hold for about a week or two. The joys of adulthood.
I've tried adulting, but at 57 I don't think it's going to work out for me