Rath's Trailer Build - First Test Pull Done!

• HTML tutorial

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Hey folks, found this forum while looking at ideas for trailer builds.

I'm doing this trailer as a way to carry my supplies and have them secured at base camp while im out and about. Previously I just used a tent to store things in, but that has been proven an issue with wildlife.

Having a trailer will also allow me more room in the back of my truck for sleeping, as thats where my sleeping platform is.

Here are a few photos of progress so far.

bought a 2k lb axle and swapped the hubs out for some 5x4.5 ones

tossed on my summer 35" tires to make it a roller and check clearances to see what size wheel/tire would be best.

1,250 lb leaf springs mounted to the axle, and using wood to make the layout/design I had in mind, and make changes with this. much cheaper than experimenting with steel.

Thats about where I am at right now. Tire size I plan on running is either a 33x10.5 15 or a 235/85r16. Haven't decided yet!

haven't decided what im going to do for a top on it yet, either doors on the side/back to access storage with a roof basket on the top of the trailer. or a flip up lid on the top. not sure yet. open to suggestions!

Last edited:
Reactions: tundra21

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

yikes, sorry about the giant photos. didnt know this forum doesnt resize. will fix previous post and take note for future postings.

took all my measurements today, slapped on a small piece of leftover as a cross piece, and used my tallest (current) items to see what size my uprights need to be to clear. added another inch to the 1/2" clearance I gave it, so it should be good (also taking into account the floor thickness, I almost forgot to consider this hehe).

kinda gives an idea of height. Wish I had more 2x2's to continue around the perimiter to get a better visual. But, measurements taken, will sit on them for a day or two in case I think of something else then I'll be ordering steel and getting to welding!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yikes a wooden frame... you pulling that with a Flintstone car... just given ya heck... interested to see where this goes.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

using wood to make the layout/design I had in mind, and make changes with this. much cheaper than experimenting with steel.
sorry if that was confusing, meant I was simply making a mockup with wood. Final build WILL be steel lmao

pulling with my 06 ranger!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

yikes, sorry about the giant photos. didnt know this forum doesnt resize. will fix previous post and take note for future postings.

took all my measurements today, slapped on a small piece of leftover as a cross piece, and used my tallest (current) items to see what size my uprights need to be to clear. added another inch to the 1/2" clearance I gave it, so it should be good (also taking into account the floor thickness, I almost forgot to consider this hehe).

kinda gives an idea of height. Wish I had more 2x2's to continue around the perimiter to get a better visual. But, measurements taken, will sit on them for a day or two in case I think of something else then I'll be ordering steel and getting to welding!

Awesome, I'm a big fan of mocking it up to finalize the dimensions.

Reactions: Rath

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
sorry if that was confusing, meant I was simply making a mockup with wood. Final build WILL be steel lmao

pulling with my 06 ranger!
Awesome. Really I do like your concept and wanting to see how this goes.
Yikes a wooden frame... you pulling that with a Flintstone car... just given ya heck... interested to see where this goes.
That was supposed to be a joke. I agree with your decision to use wood over steel for mockup. I do the same quite often.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Hopefully will be ordering steel sometime this week. Then i can slowly get to welding it all up.

Due to it being winter it may take a while since my shed is barely big enough to fit it, but I'll make it work!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Due to it being winter it may take a while since my shed is barely big enough to fit it, but I'll make it work!
We don't really have "winter" here in Cali but, I still cleaned out the garage so I can work when its wet outside. Don't know what I would do if I had to deal with snow.

Reactions: TexasGMG

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

I have no issue working out in the snow and cold, I've swapped leaf springs on my truck in -35 temps haha. More so the raw steel and snow/salt issues and the cold and trying to weld issues that are stopping me :P

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

quick question, am I right in thinking that a 2.5" x 2.5" square tube with a 1/4" wall would allow a 2" hitch to slide in?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you don't get an answer, I'll look when I get home. The math says yes but seamed tubing may cause an issue with the ID.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Yeah that's what I was curious about.

Not in any rush to get metal ordered up, would greatly appreciate if you could check and get back to me whenever!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
quick question, am I right in thinking that a 2.5" x 2.5" square tube with a 1/4" wall would allow a 2" hitch to slide in?
yes And no... yes it will fit, no it won’t fit well... people usually shim the tubing to make it work

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

what sizing would work best then? or is that gonna be as close as I can get it?

or would using 2x2 tube be best, and then buy a receiver to slide over and weld/bolt on, be better?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
They sell receiver tubing... and it’s called just that... it comes in 20’ sticks, but your metal store should be able to cut it to length.

the next best thing is what you already proposed.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

I'll look into it. I'll be ordering it through one of my customers who buys metal (they get a much better deal, large quantities and what not) so if they can get that I'll go that route then. Thanks!