Radio Suggestions

• HTML tutorial

overlandozzy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey guys, I'm happy to join the Overland Bound community! AS a new member I figured I would start off with an intro. I already made a post on the New Members post but here it is for y'all who haven't seen it. Im in Western NC (Sylva area), I'm 22, no longer in college, married, and I have a pretty much stock 06 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD OR. It's currently on a 3" Toytec with springs and shocks, NO SPACERS lol. I threw a set of 22x12 XD Grendades on it a few months ago when I was showing it at shows but I've decided to start the offroad/overlanding route. I dont have any other mods other than exhaust and my wheels/tires/lift. The first thing I figured I'd get was some communication ability. I've owned Jeeps and trucks and have always went with a CB. As I have done some research everyone around in my area either uses a marine band or HAM radio. I like the simplicity of a CB, however everyone I have talked to has said the power and range is what end up not working for them. So, with being new I want everyones opinions on the CB's and HAM radios. I don't have my license to operate a HAM radio and nor do I have any close friends who enjoy camping or offroading or Overlanding for that matter that use a HAM radio. Are there advantages and or disadvantages that I gain or loose with either one? IF you have any good write-ups or threads in regards to installs I'd love to see them! I'm looking forward to growing and getting some experience to eventually make my first overlanding trip this time next year after I finish with my build! I look forward to meeting some of y'all and seeing how everything goes!

Reactions: Luis Merlo

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
There is a lot of info that comes along with your Ham license that will improve your ability to communicate, plus a network of Hams across the globe. The range is better than CB and it's also much clearer and better regulated so its reliable and you don't have to worry about guys covering 2-3 channels with splatter and noise.

It's also a neat hobby to have. I got into it for simple coms reasons but have become a fairly active Ham, doing things like contests as well as local and state wide emcom stuff. Find your local club and tap into their wealth of knowledge. They'll help you get licensed and teach you the ropes.

That said, I'll also be installing a CB in my rig, but just for truck to truck coms when the group I'm with doesn't have their license.

Good luck and 73
Terry KJ4TOZ

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I'd recommend the FRS radios over CB. They work better in most cases for vehicle coms and are far easier and simpler to install and use.

Another option is GMRS. Some of the benefits of HAM, but the license is $ instead of a test.

Honestly, FRS radios work well enough. I wish I hadn't taken all the effort to install a CB.

-M

Reactions: macr88

overlandozzy

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'd recommend the FRS radios over CB. They work better in most cases for vehicle coms and are far easier and simpler to install and use.

Another option is GMRS. Some of the benefits of HAM, but the license is $ instead of a test.

Honestly, FRS radios work well enough. I wish I hadn't taken all the effort to install a CB.

-M
Can you give me some good examples or common FRS radios that guys are using you know?

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I have this: Motorola MT350R FRS Weatherproof Two-Way - 35 Mile Radio Pack - Orange.

But be advised that the only way they have a 35 mile range is if you write a message on a postit note and attach it and a rocket motor to the radio and hope the wind is blowing in the right direction.

Reactions: macr88

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
You can get a four pack of the frs/gmrs radios off Amazon for about $30 and have them to pass out to people you're with and not be so heart broken when they get stolen or destroyed. Two of mine got broken at Uwharrie last year.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
A Ham radio is much more functional than either FRS or CB, especially if you get a vehicle mounted unit that transmits at a higher wattage.
You also have the ability to use repeaters as needed and as you learn more. And all of what @TerryD said.

That said, I have all of the above because some people on a large trail run use any of these. It gets complicated trying to cross-communicate but it's better than nothing.

It's totally worth it to spend the time to get your Ham license, if nothing other than the knowledge that you gain from it IMO.

CB's are useful from rig-to-rig at a short distance, FRS are a little clearer but don't get much more distance than a CB unless you have an external antenna somehow, and that's where GMRS comes in I guess, which is good but usage seems to be fairly regional from what I can tell.

You may not have a lot of friends that overland or go 'wheeling now, but your spectrum of 'friends' may just have changed by you joining this community!

Welcome aboard.

Reactions: TerryD

overlandozzy

Rank 0

Traveler I

I thought about just doing a Cobra 75 install for trail usage only for the time being and if I don't like it, then I can always take it out and install something else. Does anyone have an install of the Cobra 75?

overlandozzy

Rank 0

Traveler I

A Ham radio is much more functional than either FRS or CB, especially if you get a vehicle mounted unit that transmits at a higher wattage.
You also have the ability to use repeaters as needed and as you learn more. And all of what @TerryD said.

That said, I have all of the above because some people on a large trail run use any of these. It gets complicated trying to cross-communicate but it's better than nothing.

It's totally worth it to spend the time to get your Ham license, if nothing other than the knowledge that you gain from it IMO.

CB's are useful from rig-to-rig at a short distance, FRS are a little clearer but don't get much more distance than a CB unless you have an external antenna somehow, and that's where GMRS comes in I guess, which is good but usage seems to be fairly regional from what I can tell.

You may not have a lot of friends that overland or go 'wheeling now, but your spectrum of 'friends' may just have changed by you joining this community!

Welcome aboard.
I am wnating to do a camping trip here soon either in Northwest GA on the Refuge or down in Deep Creek in Bryson City NC. I hope to make it URE for the 4th and do some easier trails since my tacoma is still a daily driver but I have missed the past 2 years going down for the 4th. If anyone is interested in meeting up shoot me a PM. I would love to chat with as many of y'all as possible.

Reactions: reidbailey

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I thought about just doing a Cobra 75 install for trail usage only for the time being and if I don't like it, then I can always take it out and install something else. Does anyone have an install of the Cobra 75?

You're talking about the 75 WX-ST, right? That's what I have, it's pretty functional, the only issue is the size of the mic/radio since everything is in there.

It's not too bad because I have large hands, but to hang it anywhere, it has to be pretty solid, and it gets hot when used a lot.

Other than that I've been very happy with the performance when matched with a 4' Firestik antenna.

Dan.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

-M
Part of the new reform for FRS is that it now shares 22 channels with GMRS and is allows 2 watts on channels 1-7 and 15-22. Channels 8-14 (467Mhz channels) will remain 0.5 watts. Also there will no longer be FRS/GMRS combined ("bubble pack") radios. Any radio capable of more than 2 watts will be classified as GMRS and require a license, 2 watts or less will be strictly FRS and be license free.

For GMRS the reform includes additional channels for GMRS bringing it up to 30 total and the license is going to be 10 years instead of 5. Some of the channels will be narrowbanded and unfortunately the power reduced to 5 watts on those channels.

Last edited:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Not really familiar with GMRS, do they allow external antennas? And will a Ham license allow me to use GMRS? So far I don't think so.
It's good news for the consumer I think. A further separation between FRS and GMRS functionality will make some more informed before they buy.
I still think there will be a lot of unlicensed GMRS operators though.

Sent from my SM-T350 using OB Talk mobile app

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Not really familiar with GMRS, do they allow external antennas?
Yes and there are mobile radios by Midland on the market putting out 5, 15, and 40 watts and GMRS allows repeaters.

And will a Ham license allow me to use GMRS? So far I don't think so.
No, they require their own licenses, as nice as that would be.

I still think there will be a lot of unlicensed GMRS operators though.
I am sure, but hopefully over time the number will go down as their combined radios die and they buy new FRS only radios. There will always be non licensed users though, regardless of what radio service you are using.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Crap. Now I'm in the market for a 40 watt GMRS. They use only 70 cm right?
I think it would be useful, but I've noticed that GMRS is more popular in the eastern US for some reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Crap. Now I'm in the market for a 40 watt GMRS. They use only 70 cm right?
I think it would be useful, but I've noticed that GMRS is more popular in the eastern US for some reason.
Correct, GMRS (and FRS) use channels in the 462Mhz and the 467Mhz frequency range.

I think GMRS radios are far more useful for vehicle to vehicle communication than CB. They offer more power, the mobile radios are smaller than most CBs, the antennas are super short compared to CB, and the audio is FM vs AM.

A 1/4 wave antenna for GMRS is about 6" tall compared to a 1/4 wave on CB which is 108" tall. Sure there are shorter CB antennas but they are more of a compromise and then they are mounted in a poor location on the vehicle and it's no wonder most people's CBs don't work well. A 6" antenna on the other hand can be mounted almost anywhere and work well as it requires so little ground plane.

I think part of the problem is most off roaders think the CB is the gold standard and aren't willing to move away from it. Some don't like rules and licenses. Some haven't been exposed to anything other than CB so they don't know the benefits.

Reactions: VCeXpedition