propane tanks

• HTML tutorial

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

How did you figure you were going to secure the tank to the rear of the GOBI rack? I had this same idea for when I bought my mini propane tank. I think Power Tank sells aluminum tank holders that can somehow be bolted to the frame or ladder of the rack. I guess I would need to see it in person.
I was going to fab something up from some ideas i had seen on youtube. but i think i can slim it down a lot and i will keep ya posted. i have purchased the parts just trying to find time, its boat show time.

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

pretty much late spring thru summer we use our 5lb bottle on the adventure trailer for cooking, when late winter early spring we use 20lb bottle for our cooking & running our Proplex H2000 tent furnace & the 5lb bottle on the adventure trailer is back up\spare.

Like some mention the 5lb bottle is costly. I use the AT Overland 5lb propane mount.
View attachment 83066
Got Air

jacobconroy75

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Montana
I decided to go with a 20 lbs. aluminum forklift tank. I typically fill it twice each year (for Propex and Partner stove). If I have to use a propane fire pit during burn restrictions I tend to go through 20 lbs. for an overnight trip. Don't have to worry about it rusting and it doesn't sit any higher than the RTT. I can reach the valve without a stool too!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I recently mounted a trailer tongue tool box on my off road camper and now I am 2 inches from getting my 11 lb tank to fit between the box and jack...its 12" diameter and I saw some 5 lb tanks that are 8" diameter. Now I need to find a twin tank mount to fit 2 of the smaller tanks. I saw a single tank mount for $100 and the tanks are around $70 each. That 2 inches is costing me big time...

Sonarman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North SF bay area
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Arietta
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KMA6AIU
Service Branch
US Submarine Force
pretty much late spring thru summer we use our 5lb bottle on the adventure trailer for cooking, when late winter early spring we use 20lb bottle for our cooking & running our Proplex H2000 tent furnace & the 5lb bottle on the adventure trailer is back up\spare.

Like some mention the 5lb bottle is costly. I use the AT Overland 5lb propane mount.
View attachment 83066
Did you buy or make the propane tank holder?

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Reactions: Nickzero

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I bought an 11lb LP Tank off amazon. I bungied it to my Gobi rack while traversing the TAT. So far it's been solid. (Do not lie these tanks on their side).

Check us out on YouTube!
Nikko and LeeView attachment 94178View attachment 94179View attachment 94180
I've heard that as well but I can't seem to find out why everybody says that. Lifestyle Overland went all the way to Alaska and back with their tank on its side the entire time it was up on the roof rack. That's several thousand miles. I asked them if they had any issues and they said none at all. They also said the same thing that everyone says not to, but not why not to.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

How about couple of these ? Only 23.1 x 7.2 x 6.8 inches
Worthington 299494 6-Pound Aluminum Propane Cylinder
Those are nice and all but $240 a piece? That's close to $500 for a pair. Wow, and I thought my Viking composite 8lb tank was expensive.

jacobconroy75

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Montana
I've heard that as well but I can't seem to find out why everybody says that. Lifestyle Overland went all the way to Alaska and back with their tank on its side the entire time it was up on the roof rack. That's several thousand miles. I asked them if they had any issues and they said none at all. They also said the same thing that everyone says not to, but not why not to.
Some tanks are made to lay on their side (usually for RVs, forklifts, etc.). They are very expensive compared to upright tanks. I have a 20 lbs. forklift tank mounted sideways on my roof rack and it is vapor service like a standard upright. Some sideways tanks provide liquid service...you don't want one of those.

But, I have yet to have my valve or regulator freeze up when below 0º. I'm not sure if I've been lucky, or if it has something to do with the extra internal plumbing that is required to provide vapor while sideways.

You can transport a standard upright tank sideways, but DON"T try to use it while laying sideways. It can inject liquid propane into your device and make a big boom.

I'm not an expert about any of this...but this is how I understand it.

Reactions: Kevin moody

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

@Nickzero , looks like your trip is off to a good start! You're moving out West, correct? I think I remember seeing you post that. If so, enjoy it out there! Tons of terrain!
Thanks! So far so good! We will be eventually moving out west not sure 100% on where though. We will keep trekking the TAT and we may find a new place to settle. Loving the scenic drive so far. Jeep is holding up great!

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Thanks! So far so good! We will be eventually moving out west not sure 100% on where though. We will keep trekking the TAT and we may find a new place to settle. Loving the scenic drive so far. Jeep is holding up great!

That's awesome to hear! Looks like you guys are having a blast...some great pics you've posted! I'll check out the channel tonight!

Reactions: Nickzero