Power Wagon Registry

• HTML tutorial

DoogieF18

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallon, NV
Member #

Don't think I've checked in yet on this thread. 17 PW at our Solar Eclipse campsite in Oregon. Love this truck.

Only a few mods so far (other than pinstriping on the first outing!)

White Knuckle sliders
Yaesu FTM-400 Ham Radio
iPad mount
BakFlip tonneau

Doesn't need much to be super capable off road and a driving dream on long road trips.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA

Don't think I've checked in yet on this thread. 17 PW at our Solar Eclipse campsite in Oregon. Love this truck.

White Knuckle sliders
Yaesu FTM-400 Ham Radio
iPad mount
BakFlip tonneau

Doesn't need much to be super capable off road and a driving dream on long road trips.

Share photos of your ftm mount? [emoji16]

DoogieF18

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallon, NV
Member #

Head unit: Edge Products A-pillar mount for a diesel programmer, plasti-dipped to match (only comes in beige). Takes a little bit of fab to fit the head unit but it is secure.

Radio is mounted to 1/4 plywood then secured under the drivers side rear seat.

Running a a mag mount antenna on the roof until I can get around to a permanent roof mount.

Reactions: aearles and crit_pw

ABomb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Mesa, CA
Member #

White Knuckle sliders
Yaesu FTM-400 Ham Radio
iPad mount
BakFlip tonneau

I'm curious about which iPad mount you're using and where you mounted it. You have a great setup! I also just added some nice pinstripes to my 2017.

DoogieF18

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallon, NV
Member #

Please forgive the fingerprints.

iPad Mini (only one that really fits) in a Ram Mount EZ-Roller mount attached to a 5" arm and anchored with an Arkon Heavy Duty Cup Holder Mount.

Figured we could afford to give up one of the 10 cup holders in the front. Lol.

If you adjust it just right it is easy to read in all lighting conditions and doesn't hit either the dash or center console. I use it mostly for topo maps but am looking at getting a wireless camera for the front I could call up for those times when the enormous RAM hood gets in the way of seeing what I'm about to hit or the next obstacle.

Reactions: crit_pw

ABomb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Mesa, CA
Member #

Please forgive the fingerprints.

iPad Mini (only one that really fits) in a Ram Mount EZ-Roller mount attached to a 5" arm and anchored with an Arkon Heavy Duty Cup Holder Mount.

Figured we could afford to give up one of the 10 cup holders in the front. Lol.

If you adjust it just right it is easy to read in all lighting conditions and doesn't hit either the dash or center console. I use it mostly for topo maps but am looking at getting a wireless camera for the front I could call up for those times when the enormous RAM hood gets in the way of seeing what I'm about to hit or the next obstacle.

That's a great idea. I've been looking for a way to utilize all of the cup holders haha. Thanks for the pic and info.

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA

Head unit: Edge Products A-pillar mount for a diesel programmer, plasti-dipped to match (only comes in beige). Takes a little bit of fab to fit the head unit but it is secure.

Radio is mounted to 1/4 plywood then secured under the drivers side rear seat.

Running a a mag mount antenna on the roof until I can get around to a permanent roof mount.

Creative use of that mount, very cool! I mounted my D710G in the sunglasses holder above the uconnect display, but that wouldn't work very well for the larger screen on the 400. I've been considering adding a second radio, possibly down underneath the seat heater controls but I like my external speaker there too.

My transceiver is mounted to the back wall of the cab behind the small seat, that I recently removed altogether for a cooler platform.

Antenna is a Larsen NMO2/70... just do it dude. [emoji16]

DoogieF18

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallon, NV
Member #

Thanks. Struggled for a while trying to figure how out to best mount the larger display. Professionally an ambidextrous button pusher so it works for me on the left.

If I'd moved over the D700 I have in my other truck it would have gone in the same place yours is.

The permanent roof mount is coming, more a factor of time to get it right than caring about the hole. Did you run the coax up the c-pillar? Any issues with airbags or other stuff above the headliner?

I also have the external speaker mounted below the center dash. You can just see a part of it in the frame on the left of the ipad picture I posted. Works well there for me.

Clean looking install! Always a challenge in these trucks. Don't see many that look as good as yours.

Reactions: aearles and crit_pw

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Thanks. Struggled for a while trying to figure how out to best mount the larger display. Professionally an ambidextrous button pusher so it works for me on the left.

If I'd moved over the D700 I have in my other truck it would have gone in the same place yours is.

The permanent roof mount is coming, more a factor of time to get it right than caring about the hole. Did you run the coax up the c-pillar? Any issues with airbags or other stuff above the headliner?

I also have the external speaker mounted below the center dash. You can just see a part of it in the frame on the left of the ipad picture I posted. Works well there for me.

Clean looking install! Always a challenge in these trucks. Don't see many that look as good as yours.

Thanks man!

Yes, coax runs down the driver side C pillar. You can see the airbag stuff clearly when you remove the C pillar plastic cover, I just ran the cable behind it safely out of the way. You can do the whole job through the high brake light hole and seal it up while you're in there (notorious for leaks), no need to drop the headliner. I struggled with he headliner for probably a couple hours trying to get it down without creasing it, couldn't figure it out so I gave up and just fished the cable toward the corner and made sure I wasn't going to interfere with the sunroof by looking and measuring through the brake light hole.

Maybe you've already discovered this, but there is a slit in the carpet under the driver seat, if you unbolt the floor storage compartment covers and the rear seat bracket bolts, and remove the plastic carpet plugs in the under backseat storage area, you can get your arm through there to fish cables to your transceiver. I guess you can probably just use the door sills too in your case.

DoogieF18

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallon, NV
Member #

Thanks man!

Yes, coax runs down the driver side C pillar. You can see the airbag stuff clearly when you remove the C pillar plastic cover, I just ran the cable behind it safely out of the way. You can do the whole job through the high brake light hole and seal it up while you're in there (notorious for leaks), no need to drop the headliner. I struggled with he headliner for probably a couple hours trying to get it down without creasing it, couldn't figure it out so I gave up and just fished the cable toward the corner and made sure I wasn't going to interfere with the sunroof by looking and measuring through the brake light hole.

Maybe you've already discovered this, but there is a slit in the carpet under the driver seat, if you unbolt the floor storage compartment covers and the rear seat bracket bolts, and remove the plastic carpet plugs in the under backseat storage area, you can get your arm through there to fish cables to your transceiver. I guess you can probably just use the door sills too in your case.

Good to know, thanks. Was hoping I could get the coax down the c-pillar without affecting the airbags. Guess I have no excuses now to get 'er done. I found the carpet slits but built a wore loom that runs neatly under the door sill.

Next project (after the antenna) is figuring out where/how to mount an onboard air compressor and tank. I have a Viair with a 2.gal tank but can't seem to find a good place to put everything as the WKOR sliders take most of the frame rail real estate. Open to great ideas!

On a completely separate topic: if you missed the solar eclipse from the path of totality this time, make reservations for the 2024 event. You will not regret it.

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Good to know, thanks. Was hoping I could get the coax down the c-pillar without affecting the airbags. Guess I have no excuses now to get 'er done. I found the carpet slits but built a wore loom that runs neatly under the door sill.

Next project (after the antenna) is figuring out where/how to mount an onboard air compressor and tank. I have a Viair with a 2.gal tank but can't seem to find a good place to put everything as the WKOR sliders take most of the frame rail real estate. Open to great ideas!

On a completely separate topic: if you missed the solar eclipse from the path of totality this time, make reservations for the 2024 event. You will not regret it.

Horrible photo, but it's what I've got on my phone and it's dark out. My compressor is mounted on some vertical sheet metal under the bed, behind the driver rear tire. It gets hit with rocks and mud but it's been there for two years and still works great, I use it about every two weeks at a minimum. I don't have a tank but you're right, the sliders kill most of the ideal space for that.

BlkWgn

Rank 0

Contributor II

Horrible photo, but it's what I've got on my phone and it's dark out. My compressor is mounted on some vertical sheet metal under the bed, behind the driver rear tire. It gets hit with rocks and mud but it's been there for two years and still works great, I use it about every two weeks at a minimum. I don't have a tank but you're right, the sliders kill most of the ideal space for that.

I have not mounted it up yet but have test fit, and a 2.5 gallon viar tank will slip between the rails on white knuckle sliders and fit between the sliders and bottom of the cab on a 3rd gen

Reactions: crit_pw and aearles

DoogieF18

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallon, NV
Member #

I have not mounted it up yet but have test fit, and a 2.5 gallon viar tank will slip between the rails on white knuckle sliders and fit between the sliders and bottom of the cab on a 3rd gen
I've thought about putting the compressor back there but have been worried about damage, good to hear it is holding up.

Chris: Any idea of the WKOR are different spacing on the 3Gen vs 4Gen? Busted a few knuckles trying some test fitting ideas and could not, for the life of me, figure out a way to slip the tank between the rails. I do think I might just have to bite the bullet, drop a slider, fab up a plate to go on top of the rails for mounting, then reinstall the rail. Of course, I'll do this on the passenger side since installing the driver side slider is not worth doing twice. Still not sure I'll get it to fit without removing the buckets for the underfloor storage. Aren't these projects fun sometimes?

Last edited:

BlkWgn

Rank 0

Contributor II

I've thought about putting the compressor back there but have been worried about damage, good to hear it is holding up.

Chris: Any idea of the WKOR are different spacing on the 3Gen vs 4Gen? Busted a few knuckles trying some test fitting ideas and could not, for the life of me, figure out a way to slip the tank between the rails. I do think I might just have to bite the bullet, drop a slider, fab up a plate to go on top of the rails for mounting, then reinstall the rail. Of course, I'll do this on the passenger side since installing the driver side slider is not worth doing twice. Still not sure I'll get it to fit without removing the buckets for the underfloor storage. Aren't these projects fun sometimes?
Not sure of the spacing on the sliders, but I think the 3rd gen have more room under the cab. I will try and get put there this weekend and get some pics

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ABomb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Mesa, CA
Member #

It is infinitely better packing the family up for a quick trip in the Power Wagon than it is our Grand Cherokee. Not my preferred style but the wife is happy when there are bathrooms, and I just like getting out of the house. Trying to fill my time while I wait for the White Knuckle sliders to be ready.IMG_3618.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg

DoogieF18

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallon, NV
Member #

It is infinitely better packing the family up for a quick trip in the Power Wagon than it is our Grand Cherokee. Not my preferred style but the wife is happy when there are bathrooms, and I just like getting out of the house. Trying to fill my time while I wait for the White Knuckle sliders to be ready.View attachment 33022 View attachment 33023
Beautiful truck. And they say, a happy wife makes for a happy camp :-) No guilt in doing what it takes to get outdoors! I got my wife to accept that a CleanWaste PETT toilet with a shelter is cleaner and more pleasant than anything she'll find in a campground - and a shorter walk. Once she got adjusted to the "chore" of wag bag disposal (which really isn't a big deal) the world opened up and it is our preferred solution now. Just take you bathroom with you and the options really open up. Plus the PW give you the extra room over the GC to pack it. The WKOR sliders are worth the wait.

Reactions: fbledsoe and ABomb

ABomb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Mesa, CA
Member #

Beautiful truck. And they say, a happy wife makes for a happy camp :-) No guilt in doing what it takes to get outdoors! I got my wife to accept that a CleanWaste PETT toilet with a shelter is cleaner and more pleasant than anything she'll find in a campground - and a shorter walk. Once she got adjusted to the "chore" of wag bag disposal (which really isn't a big deal) the world opened up and it is our preferred solution now. Just take you bathroom with you and the options really open up. Plus the PW give you the extra room over the GC to pack it. The WKOR sliders are worth the wait.
I agree with the benefits of having a happy wife. I generally am out in the desert where a shelter is not necessary because nobody is remotely near (why I don't have a shelter yet)but I've been trying to convince her that a shelter will make a huge difference. The luggable loo I have has always worked well and I think once she's gives it a chance she won't be as negative about the whole concept.

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
I agree with the benefits of having a happy wife. I generally am out in the desert where a shelter is not necessary because nobody is remotely near (why I don't have a shelter yet)but I've been trying to convince her that a shelter will make a huge difference. The luggable loo I have has always worked well and I think once she's gives it a chance she won't be as negative about the whole concept.

I've always just made her use the camper shell, lol. Although the Decked is going to make that a challenge now, may need to get a shelter.

DoogieF18

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallon, NV
Member #

I agree with the benefits of having a happy wife. I generally am out in the desert where a shelter is not necessary because nobody is remotely near (why I don't have a shelter yet)but I've been trying to convince her that a shelter will make a huge difference. The luggable loo I have has always worked well and I think once she's gives it a chance she won't be as negative about the whole concept. ndss=

The shelter really does make all the difference. Changes things from "a place to go" (ok for most of us) to "a bathroom" (meets the wife requirement). I will grant it isn't something I want to set up during a lunch stop on the trail, but with the right quick set-up tent (which I spent a bit extra $$ on to be safe) I will make the sacrifice if it means we can get away from the campgrounds - and fortunately it is an extreme that hasn't proved to be necessary.

ABomb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Mesa, CA
Member #

The shelter really does make all the difference. Changes things from "a place to go" (ok for most of us) to "a bathroom" (meets the wife requirement). I will grant it isn't something I want to set up during a lunch stop on the trail, but with the right quick set-up tent (which I spent a bit extra $$ on to be safe) I will make the sacrifice if it means we can get away from the campgrounds - and fortunately it is an extreme that hasn't proved to be necessary.
Which shelter do you use?