Power Wagon Registry

• HTML tutorial

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
The truck is amazing stock, you shouldn't need to do much! Rock rails are awful nice to have though, and White Knuckle is pretty nearby, they offer cash discount and local pickup for much cheaper than shipping them. Planning to do Death Valley and Mojave again this year, and probably some running around in Anza, I'm sure.

Reactions: BlkWgn

ABomb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Mesa, CA
Member #

The truck is amazing stock, you shouldn't need to do much! Rock rails are awful nice to have though, and White Knuckle is pretty nearby, they offer cash discount and local pickup for much cheaper than shipping them. Planning to do Death Valley and Mojave again this year, and probably some running around in Anza, I'm sure.
Sliders are going on very soon. Decided to go with Aluminess. They are local and was told at the shop that they are frame mounted like the white knuckle sliders.

I'll probably be heading to anza soon to break it in. Just wanted to wait until it cools down a bit. Also didn't want to add some desert pin striping on the new truck just yet. I'd love to do some trips like Mojave, sometimes it's hard to plan around the family activities.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Sliders are going on very soon. Decided to go with Aluminess. They are local and was told at the shop that they are frame mounted like the white knuckle sliders.

I'll probably be heading to anza soon to break it in. Just wanted to wait until it cools down a bit. Also didn't want to add some desert pin striping on the new truck just yet. I'd love to do some trips like Mojave, sometimes it's hard to plan around the family activities.

I'd double check on that dude, the photos on their site show them body-mounted.

"They bolt right on to factory mounts and provide great protection to your rocker panels."

http://www.aluminess.com/dodge/dodge-power-wagon-trucks-2010-2013/sliders/

BlkWgn

Rank 0

Contributor II

I'd double check on that dude, the photos on their site show them body-mounted.

"They bolt right on to factory mounts and provide great protection to your rocker panels."

http://www.aluminess.com/dodge/dodge-power-wagon-trucks-2010-2013/sliders/

When I had looked at Aluminess a while back they were all body mounted. I would also suggest a steel slider over aluminum. The aluminum is "sticky" and does not slide over things as easily as the steel will.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
When I had looked at Aluminess a while back they were all body mounted. I would also suggest a steel slider over aluminum. The aluminum is "sticky" and does not slide over things as easily as the steel will.
Their sliders are made of steel, I asked about this when I was shopping around but they have it mentioned on their site now.

Reactions: BlkWgn

ABomb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Mesa, CA
Member #

They are the only steel product they offer. I specifically asked the sales rep at the shop about what I saw online regarding the body mount and he told me they are frame mounted. I might ask again to be certain.

Reactions: BlkWgn and aearles

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Thinking of a used PW 2005 - 2010 anything I should be looking for? I have noticed that some have the factory sliders and some don't personally I'd really like the factory sliders! Am I missing anything else? Are the changes made in 2014 worth financing? - Thanks!

BlkWgn

Rank 0

Contributor II

Thinking of a used PW 2005 - 2010 anything I should be looking for? I have noticed that some have the factory sliders and some don't personally I'd really like the factory sliders! Am I missing anything else? Are the changes made in 2014 worth financing? - Thanks!
personally, I am a fan of the 3rd gen over the newer wagons. The factory sliders were only offered for a couple of years as an option and are pretty hard to find. They give you good rocker protection but offer no side coverage. White Knuckle Sliders offer far more protection and are a bit beefier than the factory sliders. The main things to look for make sure the winch is actually in it, make sure the sway bar and lockers are functioning. The ball joints are known to wear as well as the track bar bushings but both are easily taken care of. If it is pre 2008 then check and see if the steering recall has been done to bring it up to the 2008.5 "T" style steering.

Reactions: aearles and 1derer

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

3rd Gens are great if you want to mod and fix lots of stuff. But that is not a good era for Dodge. Body, rust, paint quality, interior quality, issues galore. Think 90's General Motors econoboxes. Just ask about how many people's grab handles fell off or dashes have cracked.

The 4th gens overall have better fit and finish. They changed the suspension in 2014 and added the 6.4L. We do have better on road stock handling and are immune to death wobble with the radius arms. I think the 6.4 is a better fit. We also have bigger axles than the 09-13 trucks. One of the reasons I didn't buy a Power Wagon back in 2013 was that I didn't think the 5.7 was enough for the newer 4th gens. The radius arm trucks kind of already have a long arm, but 4-link can flex out better. And you can always get Thuren alien arms and boom. Now you've got more flex than me.

2013 is the odd ball year, you get the updated interior that the 2014+ trucks have, but you get the 09-12 suspension.

That being said, there are more mod options if you want to go crazy with the 2009-2013 trucks, since they're using leafs out back and 4 link up front. They also feature 4.56 gearing, where my truck a 2015 has 4.10 gearing.

Another thing, the earlier trucks all have true shock mounts, I've got pin tops, which means the biggest I can go without cutting is 2.5 Kings or the like. But my friend with his 2011 has 3.0 Kings up front and 2.5 King bypasses out back.

Circling back around to the 3rd gen trucks, while I don't think it's a good era, and will bring higher maintenance costs I know a lot of people with them who really love them and have owned them for quite some time who are satisfied. It should be also noted, they're a tab bit narrower and have a little more ground clearance because of the design of the lower rocker panels on the two generations.

I've been told the factory offered Mopar sliders were frame mounted.

I suppose, in the end, it depends on what your goals and intentions are and how much comfort you are looking for, along with how much work or maintenance.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

@BoldAdventure thanks for the input. I am aware of the dodge line to some degree previous owner of 1995 12vlave and 2005 cummins. I always thought the cummins was a Dimond wrapped in a turd. Even the thought of going gas has me bothered a little but I am thinking I'd rather go gas and have the setup then get a diesel and outfit the whole truck.
I was under the impression the 3rd gen trucks were also 4.56 with larger axles?

Timeline of the Generations for me is still a little fuzzy let me see if this is about correct
3rd: 2005 - 2008
4th 2009 - 2013* mid design 2014 - Current

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

3rd gens are also 4.56, The front is an AAM 9.25 and the rear is a hybrid AAM 10.5 with the larger axle shafts from the AAM 11.5. In 2014 that changed to full AAM 11.5

You might see guys throw around 5th gen too, and the usually is 2014+ but to me it's the same body, so still a 4th.

I prefer gas to diesel offroad honestly. Guys in Jeeps crawling just fine with 4 bangers under the hood.

Reactions: crit_pw

ABomb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Mesa, CA
Member #

Looking for ideas regarding mounting some jerry can holders. It will be a while before any major additions such as a rear bumper with swing arms, so I was considering mounting them in the bed on each side behind the cab. Any suggestions?

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Looking for ideas regarding mounting some jerry can holders. It will be a while before any major additions such as a rear bumper with swing arms, so I was considering mounting them in the bed on each side behind the cab. Any suggestions?
I haven't come up with a good solution yet, that's usually where mine are, lined up against the back wall of the bed with a ratcheting cargo bar to secure them. I don't love it. I have a cap so I have to crawl back there to get them out and haul them over everything else in the bed, very annoying.

I'm installing the Decked drawer system tomorrow, and I bolted my cap down with unistrut rails on each side so that I have a foundation to build off of, hoping to come up with something soon. Either a box with dividers for each can along one side of the bed, or maybe just eyelets and a strap for each can since they'll be 12" higher on the Decked platform. Not sure yet...

Reactions: crit_pw and ABomb