Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all, to post pictures:

============================================================
Update: We have increased security on our web server. Some images may be showing a broken link. If you run into this issue, edit your post and see if there is anything appended to the end of your image like "?1" or anything else. If there is, the file will be rejected by the server and will not display. To fix this, simply strip the appended characters off the end. Using method number 2 below will avoid this issue entirely.
============================================================

If you want to upload a picture from your computer or phone (RECOMMENDED):
  1. Write a post per normal.
  2. At the bottom, use the "Upload a File" button. The picture cannot be too big, but we allow fairly large photos.
  3. After the image is uploaded, you will see the thumbnail.
  4. If you want to embed it in your post, choose, "Full Image" and it will embed at the cursor.

If you are hosting the image at some URL (NOT RECOMMENDED):
  1. Simply use the picture icon and add the url. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS! External URLS are not treated nicely by our internet security, and frequently get broken. Overland Bound has invested in powerful servers with lots of storage so we can host your images.
That's it!

YouTubeLogo.jpg

Last edited:

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

For those looking for image hosting, from experience IMGUR and Photobucket seem to be the easiest and quickest to use. They give you a direct link for posting to forums BBC imaging options.

Flickr works as well, but you need to copy and paste the BBC share code into body of your post.

Google Photos also works, but you need to use the absolute image link.
  • Click on image thumbnail.
  • Do not zoom in.
  • Right click
  • Open image in new tab
  • Copy the absolute image url from the url bar
  • Paste into forum image uploader

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Flickr you just need to select "all sizes" when viewing and image, then pick the size you want (it typically defaults to 1024x768), right click and and choose copy image link. Then you paste that into the URL path for your image. It is a bit cumbersome but I'm happy with Flickr overall.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
You can also find a picture on the internet, right click on image, Left click "Copy Image Address" and put it in picture icon box and .... BLAM you have a rad picture you found hosted by someone else.

It works, but if that site goes down, keep in mind you'll have a broken link. We encourage "attaching" images using the "upload a file " button. It's one extra step (right click, save image as), but permanent. You'll see broken images around the site. That's the reason.

Reactions: Lil Bear and Tim

UtahOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Heber City, UT
Member #

Need help. I'm replying to a post and don't see the "upload file" button. What am I missing????? I see it on this post, but not the particular post that I'm replying to. It only has "Post Reply" and "More Options".

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Is there a post count minimum for attaching photos instead of linking? I ask because I do not seem to be able to. They are smaller than the size limit and titles are generic (testing again with this, my second post).

Yeah, it acts like it is going to load them then nothing..

Thanks!

Attachments

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Haha, well I see it attached the pic, though I had no options or visibility to it while attempting. I'll keep messing with it. lol

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

You can also find a picture on the internet, right click on image, Left click "Copy Image Address" and put it in picture icon box and .... BLAM you have a rad picture you found hosted by someone else.
It works, but if that site goes down, keep in mind you'll have a broken link. We encourage "attaching" images using the "upload a file " button. It's one extra step (right click, save image as), but permanent. You'll see broken images around the site. That's the reason.

Posting just an images' web address is also often considered vampire-ing bandwidth, in that you're forcing someone else's site to serve the image here. If that someone else is a small business or solo website, it can drive up their bandwidth usage and eventually force them into a higher cost bracket, or take up their time changing or deleting the 'stolen' bandwith sources.

So, if that site allows right-click/Save as, it's always better to save the image to your desktop or hardrive then upload as attachment here, always with proper credit.

Last edited:

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Uploading here direct: You also don't lose pics when the TOS of your former hosting site change (see Photobucket). :p

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

For those looking for image hosting, from experience IMGUR and Photobucket seem to be the easiest and quickest to use. They give you a direct link for posting to forums BBC imaging options.

Flickr works as well, but you need to copy and paste the BBC share code into body of your post.

Google Photos also works, but you need to use the absolute image link.
  • Click on image thumbnail.
  • Do not zoom in.
  • Right click
  • Open image in new tab
  • Copy the absolute image url from the url bar
  • Paste into forum image uploader
IMGUR > Photobucket

I have used both but stopped using Photobucket entirely and will probably not use it ever again. Too many ads, long load times and awkward navigation. IMGUR is far superior…for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.