Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Figured we'd start a thread for those of us who are at Overland Expo East 2018 to share photos in one place.

Hope to see some great photos. There is no way we'll be able to see everything here over the next few days.

Eric AKA Jeepsies Overland-Bound-Caravan-Expo-East.jpg
This was the Overland Bound crew that met at the Rally Point in Asheville checking in at Overland Expo East 2018. Thanks to @Wawa Skittletits for leading the convoy.

Trbanks

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spring Hill, FL
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Banks
Member #

I was at the rally on Saturday for the day but we were camped out in the smoky mountains park area. Have to say I was unimpressed with the set up this year. Took us two and a half hours to get to the event from the parking area. The deep mud made it near impossible for us old farts with bad knees to walk around. The camping area looked amazing Lots of cool rigs and set ups. Maybe next year if they don’t hold it at Reeb ranch again.

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
Re the weather, that's why I'm glad we live in the west - it can be bad enough. At least when it was at Mormon Lake, farther away from Flagstaff, access to the venue was easy. If it rained, or snowed and rained like it did in 2015, it turned into a muddy mess too. Well, it was set up in a "dry" lake bed. When I showed my trailer there I camped with the VMI Exhibit and didn't have to suffer with the mud much right around camp. The weather is why I'm hesitant to sign up months in advance for the classes. Here's my trailer with snow on the awnings in 2015. IMG_1729.JPG

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I’m still in route home....left this morning but taking the long way! Expo was wet and sloppy, but had some really cool rigs to look at in the camping area. Vendor stuff is always cool, but it’s stuff we’ve all already seen online,which is why I love walking the camping rigs. I’ll post more pics when back home!

Wawas
IMG_0577.JPG

Zombies
IMG_0575.JPG

Soup
IMG_0659.JPG

My favorite rig!
IMG_0691.JPG

JRELAXED and my Jeep
IMG_0735.JPG

Expo
IMG_0705.JPG

Uni!
IMG_0640.JPG

Old Scout
IMG_0724.JPG

Team Hunt!
IMG_0703.JPG

Attachments

McCamper

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SODDY DAISY / CHATTANOOGA TN
Member #

Me and my family were there. And just got back home. It was alot of mud. But in soddy thats our favorite thing to 4x4 in so not a big deal.

Also. I want to send out a BIG THANK YOU. To the OB members that help my little girl get warm while I stood in line waiting for the bus in like 20° Saturday. Your family was a godsend. I owe you alot. Thanks.

Favorite rig was this Subaru 20181110_133856.jpg20181110_133829.jpg

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Me and my family were there. And just got back home. It was alot of mud. But in soddy thats our favorite thing to 4x4 in so not a big deal.

Also. I want to send out a BIG THANK YOU. To the OB members that help my little girl get warm while I stood in line waiting for the bus in like 20° Saturday. Your family was a godsend. I owe you alot. Thanks.

Favorite rig was this Subaru View attachment 75652View attachment 75653
I was there on Saturday also it was freezing. I can actually see just the nose of my ZR2 in your second pic next to the black 4Runner lol

Reactions: Hourless Life

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
can you explain such things. I'm not familiar with the event
I know the event was fun for many but there were probably just as many that had a miserable time. This event is getting bigger and the potential to be huge so the promoter needs to start thinking huge.

-Many paying campers were turned away. Some journeyed days to get there and had no back up plan. Not cool. Because of this all the local campgrounds were sold out. I know of one guy that had to drive an hour out of Asheville before he found a place to stay. All sales were on line so the promoter knows how many people are coming and knows how many people the venue will support, so this should never happen unless the goal was to just make money.
-This event has been to 3 different venues in 3 years. There is a reason for that. I will be very surprised if REEB allows this event back. If they want to keep it in the Asheville area then they are running out of places very quickly. Why not hold the event at the fairgrounds and let people figure out where to stay? There will be no mud so people will allow others to tour inside their setups and the vendors will have a good area to display their wares. Parking won't be an issue.
-At this one you had to park somewhere and then rely on a shuttle to get to the event. They had one shuttle that broke down. It took over two hours to get to the event because of this and two hours to get back to your car. The event is only open during daylight hours and now you have less time to see it. Ridiculous.
-I heard the one out west is held in a giant field so parking is not such an issue. We have giant fields here on the east also.
-Just one thing about the weather. Everyone knows that November is hit or miss here in the southeast. Last years was in October. It was fine.
-For the price of the tickets and camping, none of these things should happen. Except the weather, it happens.

There is probably more but I have said enough.

Trick3d

Rank 0

Traveler I

CA
I know the event was fun for many but there were probably just as many that had a miserable time. This event is getting bigger and the potential to be huge so the promoter needs to start thinking huge.

-Many paying campers were turned away. Some journeyed days to get there and had no back up plan. Not cool. Because of this all the local campgrounds were sold out. I know of one guy that had to drive an hour out of Asheville before he found a place to stay. All sales were on line so the promoter knows how many people are coming and knows how many people the venue will support, so this should never happen unless the goal was to just make money.
-This event has been to 3 different venues in 3 years. There is a reason for that. I will be very surprised if REEB allows this event back. If they want to keep it in the Asheville area then they are running out of places very quickly. Why not hold the event at the fairgrounds and let people figure out where to stay? There will be no mud so people will allow others to tour inside their setups and the vendors will have a good area to display their wares. Parking won't be an issue.
-At this one you had to park somewhere and then rely on a shuttle to get to the event. They had one shuttle that broke down. It took over two hours to get to the event because of this and two hours to get back to your car. The event is only open during daylight hours and now you have less time to see it. Ridiculous.
-I heard the one out west is held in a giant field so parking is not such an issue. We have giant fields here on the east also.
-Just one thing about the weather. Everyone knows that November is hit or miss here in the southeast. Last years was in October. It was fine.
-For the price of the tickets and camping, none of these things should happen. Except the weather, it happens.

There is probably more but I have said enough.
Yeah, those are very fair issues. Does not sound like something i have any patience for.

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

I agree there was a lack of preparedness especially in the moto party. there was no cover, people had to stand out in the cold! They had a perfectly good barn but did not use it there was no fires allowed in the campground to keep people warm! The web site said there's going to be a fire pits and there was none, there was no way to drag the mud out of the way even though they had a tractor that could have pulled a drag that could have kept the water and mud down the Moto party was held outside in the cold with no lights other than little candles on the table the food was cold the exhibitors area was a mud pit no preparation on that I understand the weather is unpredictable but turning people away that have come a long way that have paid the price should not happen my best friend got there late and was told he had to go back home or find other accommodations elsewhere he had just driven 8 hours luckily I he was able to get ahold of me and I went to the to the front and told them I had a place saved for him already and they let him in

Last edited:

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

I agree there was a lack of preparedness especially in the mood to party there was no cover people out in the cold they had a perfectly good barn but did not use it there was no fires allowed in the campground to keep people warm it was said there's going to be a fire pits and there was none there was no way to drag the mud out of the way even though they had a tractor that could have pulled a drag that could have kept the water and mud down the Moto party was held outside in the cold with no lights other than little candles on the table the food was cold the exhibitors area was a mud pit no preparation on that I understand the weather is unpredictable but turning people away that have come a long way that have paid the price should not happen my best friend got there late and was told he had to go back home or find other accommodations elsewhere he had just driven 8 hours luckily I he was able to get ahold of me and I went to the to the front and told them I had a play safe for him already they let him in
I was also told to Overland Expo was not part of Overland bound is that true