Post your OVERLAND EXPO EAST 2018 photos here

• HTML tutorial

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

HI there - not really sure of your question...can you clarify and we'll try to answer from there?
I was talking to acouple of people at the expo and they made a comment about my Overland Bound southern patch and I ask them if they where from and they said that Overland Bound ..... And Overland Expo was not the same and that it was not part of Overland bound

McCamper

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SODDY DAISY / CHATTANOOGA TN
Member #

I was talking to people there that were supposed to be running the event and they ask about my Overland bound southeast patch and they said that Overland Bound and Overland Expo were not the same!
Yes that would be right. Overland Bound is just the forum and group your chatting on. And with.

Overland Expo East is part of Overland Expo west. That's the orginasation that put on the show this past weekend November 9 to 11

Halfbreed_Ovrlandr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evans, GA
Member #

I went with some friends as well. We did not get there at the time we thought we would as we stopped at REI in Greenville, SC and it put us behind. We ended up rolling in around 5:20ish. Had to wait about 15 mins before we were let in. We asked where OB was located at but they said there were most likely no spots left. Here's the funny thing. Going by the pictures we were on the other side of where you all were. In that one pic with the Zebra earth mover looking vehicle. We are pretty much right behind it.... I'll post some pics when I can.

As for the event. This being my first one and my friend who came with me went to the one the year before at the Biltmore. He said it was better last year. I/we did meet some great people though and the couple who stayed across from us "Tsavo_Touriung" were super cool. They live on the West coast so they attend that one all the time. He even said this year was not well thought of. The MUD sucked yes it did but at the same time its what made it memorable. At the same time I feel really bad for Reeb Ranch's land. There were talks from vendors saying they may not come back after this year and also talks that it may end up in Tennessee next year. I'll wait and see how this all turns out, but I am planning on attending next year on the Expo West just to meet up with friends that I met at this one and to have a good time.

Reactions: sabjku

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

I went with some friends as well. We did not get there at the time we thought we would as we stopped at REI in Greenville, SC and it put us behind. We ended up rolling in around 5:20ish. Had to wait about 15 mins before we were let in. We asked where OB was located at but they said there were most likely no spots left. Here's the funny thing. Going by the pictures we were on the other side of where you all were. In that one pic with the Zebra earth mover looking vehicle. We are pretty much right behind it.... I'll post some pics when I can.

As for the event. This being my first one and my friend who came with me went to the one the year before at the Biltmore. He said it was better last year. I/we did meet some great people though and the couple who stayed across from us "Tsavo_Touriung" were super cool. They live on the West coast so they attend that one all the time. He even said this year was not well thought of. The MUD sucked yes it did but at the same time its what made it memorable. At the same time I feel really bad for Reeb Ranch's land. There were talks from vendors saying they may not come back after this year and also talks that it may end up in Tennessee next year. I'll wait and see how this all turns out, but I am planning on attending next year on the Expo West just to meet up with friends that I met at this one and to have a good time.
I'm planning to go next years expo west too, itll be my first time hopefully. do you know when are you able to buy tickets for that?

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

There was a group of us camped down in the corner by the zebra rig, another half of the group up a row next to the soft spot that was marked off.

Reactions: sabjku and Dlock

Dlock

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pisgah Forest NC
Member #

IMG_1673.jpg I did make it out to the Overland Expo East. Man, what a great event. I will say, it was an absolute mud hole. My son and I made the best of it and even won a raffle drawing from the guys over at Off Grid Teardrops.

Reactions: Chadlyb and sabjku

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Here's a handful of pictures I got Saturday. I took significantly fewer pictures than I had intended, brought cards good for nearly 5000 pictures, and only took 71, which I can only excuse by saying it was cold, and I was busy. Some of the events I go to I take upwards of 2000 pictures, so I was really slacking!

Excuse the watermarks. I've had some people stealing and reposting pictures, which wouldn't be such a big deal but they don't even give me credit.

Last edited:

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

Here's a handful.of pictures I got Saturday. I took significantly fewer pictures than I had intended, brought cards good for nearly 5000 pictures, and only took 71, which I can only excuse by saying it was cold, and I was busy. Some of the events I go to I take upwards of 2000 pictures, so I was really slacking!

Excuse the watermarks. I've had some people stealing and reposting pictures, which wouldn't be such a big deal but they don't even give me credit.

That’s cool that expedition overland was there. I watch their show a lot

Reactions: ZRex

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

That’s cool that expedition overland was there. I watch their show a lot
I have watched all of their videos at least once, only started last year, but have thoroughly enjoyed every one and truly been inspired, Clay and his team have been a huge inspiration for me!

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I know the event was fun for many but there were probably just as many that had a miserable time. This event is getting bigger and the potential to be huge so the promoter needs to start thinking huge.

-Many paying campers were turned away. Some journeyed days to get there and had no back up plan. Not cool. Because of this all the local campgrounds were sold out. I know of one guy that had to drive an hour out of Asheville before he found a place to stay. All sales were on line so the promoter knows how many people are coming and knows how many people the venue will support, so this should never happen unless the goal was to just make money.
-This event has been to 3 different venues in 3 years. There is a reason for that. I will be very surprised if REEB allows this event back. If they want to keep it in the Asheville area then they are running out of places very quickly. Why not hold the event at the fairgrounds and let people figure out where to stay? There will be no mud so people will allow others to tour inside their setups and the vendors will have a good area to display their wares. Parking won't be an issue.
-At this one you had to park somewhere and then rely on a shuttle to get to the event. They had one shuttle that broke down. It took over two hours to get to the event because of this and two hours to get back to your car. The event is only open during daylight hours and now you have less time to see it. Ridiculous.
-I heard the one out west is held in a giant field so parking is not such an issue. We have giant fields here on the east also.
-Just one thing about the weather. Everyone knows that November is hit or miss here in the southeast. Last years was in October. It was fine.
-For the price of the tickets and camping, none of these things should happen. Except the weather, it happens.

There is probably more but I have said enough.
We will take it here in Indiana...tell um to just hit me up I got a great place for um....Paoli Peaks....

Reactions: Wallygator

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

All these complaints about the mud are disheartening...I thought Overlanders were suppose to be tougher than a little mud...come on mall crawlers get your rigs out and get them dirty and scratched up a little...I heard about one guy who borrowed a friends bike and gear so that his wouldn’t get dirty...it seems that a lot of people were there just to pose for pictures in their Patagonia and RTTs rather than challenge themselves and their rigs at all...but again I guess armchair overlands pay the bills for some companies...

KiloMike4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lewisville, NC, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

There was a group of us camped down in the corner by the zebra rig, another half of the group up a row next to the soft spot that was marked off.
We had a good group in the 'corner'. It was a pleasure to meet you!
My Suburban passed the 'graduation' test of getting us through the mud to leave Overland East!
After watching so many get bogged in front of us, it was a concern but she carried us out in fine fashion.
The weekend was a great time and will be memorable for the rain, mud and cold but there were some awesome rigs there and I'm more than happy to have been there. I know that many had wet tents but that goes with the territory. I didn't hear any complaints from those camping other than discussions about how to deal with the hand we were dealt. It was a great weekend that had some great comradery and friendship. I look forward to seeing the friends I met this weekend again!