Post your OVERLAND EXPO EAST 2018 photos here

• HTML tutorial

JRElaxED

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, Va
Member #

All these complaints about the mud are disheartening...I thought Overlanders were suppose to be tougher than a little mud...come on mall crawlers get your rigs out and get them dirty and scratched up a little...I heard about one guy who borrowed a friends bike and gear so that his wouldn’t get dirty...it seems that a lot of people were there just to pose for pictures in their Patagonia and RTTs rather than challenge themselves and their rigs at all...but again I guess armchair overlands pay the bills for some companies...
???? However people wanna have fun, let them. No set way to overland, just getting out there is critical. I would take 60 and sunny all day over this weather, but it was an experience. Got to winch out a Taco with my Jeep, so my weekend was all sunshine.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I guess the Warn guys had several things stolen from there exhibit tent. Even had a winch taken. They didn't know until they were packing up and lifted the box the winch was supposed to be in. I guess the thief had cut around the staples in the box so it looked like the box was still sealed.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
All these complaints about the mud are disheartening...I thought Overlanders were suppose to be tougher than a little mud...come on mall crawlers get your rigs out and get them dirty and scratched up a little...I heard about one guy who borrowed a friends bike and gear so that his wouldn’t get dirty...it seems that a lot of people were there just to pose for pictures in their Patagonia and RTTs rather than challenge themselves and their rigs at all...but again I guess armchair overlands pay the bills for some companies...
I don't see a lot of complaints about the mud cuz again, mud happens. But in defense to the vendors...they paid an awful lot of money to be there and the people who put this on knew there was going to be weather and did absolutely nothing to prepare for it. They could have had a trailer full of hay sitting there to help the vendors in their section of the venue. They could have done many other things but they got their money so they are fine. I am not surprised if half the vendors don't come back. The event was extremely unorganized and communication between the volunteers and the promoter was horrible. There are some saying that many many people were turned away, not just a few. Again, this could be huge event but it seems it's all about the money for the promoter. I won't be going back until things improve on the promoters end. Supposedly they are good people...actions speak louder than words.

Reactions: justjames

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I guess the Warn guys had several things stolen from there exhibit tent. Even had a winch taken. They didn't know until they were packing up and lifted the box the winch was supposed to be in. I guess the thief had cut around the staples in the box so it looked like the box was still sealed.
It's sad that people can't be trusted....

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I don't see a lot of complaints about the mud cuz again, mud happens. But in defense to the vendors...they paid an awful lot of money to be there and the people who put this on knew there was going to be weather and did absolutely nothing to prepare for it. They could have had a trailer full of hay sitting there to help the vendors in their section of the venue. They could have done many other things but they got their money so they are fine. I am not surprised if half the vendors don't come back. The event was extremely unorganized and communication between the volunteers and the promoter was horrible. There are some saying that many many people were turned away, not just a few. Again, this could be huge event but it seems it's all about the money for the promoter. I won't be going back until things improve on the promoters end. Supposedly they are good people...actions speak louder than words.
I can see your point for sure....I volunteered for the event and found it well organized up until the point of people getting turned away....I'd love to know the whole story on what went down....I saw many vendors taking matters into their own hands and laying down straw and chip bark mulch (OB booth)...I was working as bar back and helping get fires started and find wood....I was surprised that even with a pile of wood present people were expecting to be served and not taking things into their own hands....I guess some people are afraid to get dirty bruised or battered...I just expected more from the people than to wait to be served when camping....

Reactions: Wallygator

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I can see your point for sure....I volunteered for the event and found it well organized up until the point of people getting turned away....I'd love to know the whole story on what went down....I saw many vendors taking matters into their own hands and laying down straw and chip bark mulch (OB booth)...I was working as bar back and helping get fires started and find wood....I was surprised that even with a pile of wood present people were expecting to be served and not taking things into their own hands....I guess some people are afraid to get dirty bruised or battered...I just expected more from the people than to wait to be served when camping....
Some expo volunteers brought a bail of hay to my booth and the others around it. They had us leave the jeep in the booth Friday night so we wouldn't make the mud worse in the vendor area. Turning folks away definitely didn't help those of us who spent money to have a booth. Especially when the Shuttle Bus drivers were telling folks not to make large purchases because there wasn't room on the buses to bring a lot of stuff back to the parking location (had a few people tell us that they were told this when they visited our booth.)

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I agree there was a lack of preparedness especially in the moto party. there was no cover, people had to stand out in the cold! They had a perfectly good barn but did not use it there was no fires allowed in the campground to keep people warm! The web site said there's going to be a fire pits and there was none, there was no way to drag the mud out of the way even though they had a tractor that could have pulled a drag that could have kept the water and mud down the Moto party was held outside in the cold with no lights other than little candles on the table the food was cold the exhibitors area was a mud pit no preparation on that I understand the weather is unpredictable but turning people away that have come a long way that have paid the price should not happen my best friend got there late and was told he had to go back home or find other accommodations elsewhere he had just driven 8 hours luckily I he was able to get ahold of me and I went to the to the front and told them I had a place saved for him already and they let him in
I was at the moto party and found the food very good and warm...There were two fire pits there at the moto party....my only complaint was that there were no burnouts or outlaw mud races....I guess I should have started them....guess there is always next year....

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Some expo volunteers brought a bail of hay to my booth and the others around it. They had us leave the jeep in the booth Friday night so we wouldn't make the mud worse in the vendor area. Turning folks away definitely didn't help those of us who spent money to have a booth. Especially when the Shuttle Bus drivers were telling folks not to make large purchases because there wasn't room on the buses to bring a lot of stuff back to the parking location (had a few people tell us that they were told this when they visited our booth.)
WOW!...I wonder if they had a regional person helping out with the event....many things could be avoided by having local scouting first. I think I'll contact OE and discuss some of the ideas that have been thrown out and see what we can do to help them improve next year...I would even suggest having it at a offroad part or a state park next time....I go to AMA Vintage Motorcycle days every year at Mid Ohio Raceway, which would be a great place to hold the Expo....

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

It was posted not to start open fires !! As for vendors putting out hay and pine bark I agree and thank them for their efforts

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

7539552336_IMG_5916.jpgIMG_2800.JPGIMG_2821.JPG
For my first expo I was game for the weather. With all the farms in the area there should have been some one selling bails of hay. Why cry over spilled milk. Great people in my surroundings.. shout out to old man over land and overland frontier.

Reactions: OutOfStep

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

It was posted not to start open fires !! As for vendors putting out hay and pine bark I agree and thank them for their efforts
The fire rings were placed by the venue in only certain locations....I agree that they should have had more.....

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

View attachment 75963View attachment 75964View attachment 75965
For my first expo I was game for the weather. With all the farms in the area there should have been some one selling bails of hay. Why cry over spilled milk. Great people in my surroundings.. shout out to old man over land and overland frontier.
dope rig, that's the same set up I want to do. camper shell and rtt on top. right now I have the bed rack with the rtt style

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
We have had some major shows cancel due to sodden ground over the years but learned fast and used tempory construction roads down the main walk ways Saved many lucrative shows over the years And allways stock wellys on your booth $$$$$$ :wink:

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

We have had some major shows cancel due to sodden ground over the years but learned fast and used tempory construction roads down the main walk ways Saved many lucrative shows over the years And allways stock wellys on your booth $$$$$$ :wink:
we sold out of heaters in a hurry. haha.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

We had a good group in the 'corner'. It was a pleasure to meet you!
My Suburban passed the 'graduation' test of getting us through the mud to leave Overland East!
After watching so many get bogged in front of us, it was a concern but she carried us out in fine fashion.
The weekend was a great time and will be memorable for the rain, mud and cold but there were some awesome rigs there and I'm more than happy to have been there. I know that many had wet tents but that goes with the territory. I didn't hear any complaints from those camping other than discussions about how to deal with the hand we were dealt. It was a great weekend that had some great comradery and friendship. I look forward to seeing the friends I met this weekend again!
Great to meet you as well! We also had no issues getting out, I was worried for nothing. [emoji16]

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

???? However people wanna have fun, let them. No set way to overland, just getting out there is critical. I would take 60 and sunny all day over this weather, but it was an experience. Got to winch out a Taco with my Jeep, so my weekend was all sunshine.
That was a Mitsubishi @JRElaxED! [emoji12]

Reactions: sabjku and JRElaxED