Investor

Trail Blazer II

Greenfield Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

So I finally mostly finished my quarantine project for a kitchen in the back of my F150. We added a shell last year so I thought I would give a slide out kitchen a go. It's still a work in progress since we haven't been able to get out camping but hopefully we can do that soon. I've been scrolling through every post on kitchens for a year trying to figure out a layout. Hopefully it works once we take it out.
How has the kitchen been working out for you? Looking to do something similar in my truck.

heyfish

Rank III
Investor

Member I

California
Member #

How has the kitchen been working out for you? Looking to do something similar in my truck.
Overall it's working pretty well. There are some minor tweaks I would make but otherwise I'm happy with it. The one major downside is that it's definitely not easily removable. It's in there until I decide to do something completely different. It limits the "truck" use of the truck but I can make it work most of the time.

Here are some more details on the build if you're interested.

I have a 15 gallon water tank up against the cab as well as a 100ah lifepo battery along with the renology DC-DC charger. Having running water is really nice. I didn't think about putting in a water level sensor at the time so I would change that if I did it again. I have a water pump that hooks up to a hose with quick connects and runs out near the kitchen. I have a garden hose sprayer on the end for rinsing off after the beach and then I can disconnect that and hook it to the kitchen sink pretty easily. The kitchen faucet only has one input so you get cold water but you could hook up a joolca or similar water heater if you really wanted hot water coming out.
I used 5' long slides in a 6.5' bed so that left room for the rectangular water tank up front. The construction was plywood since that's what I had available. I'm sure you could get lighter with 80/20 but that was out of my price range.
I used self adhesive vinyl tiles for the "countertop" area around the sink and under the stove slide out. They look cool but the adhesive gets soft in the sun so I definitely wouldn't do that again.
I don't have a great place to keep the propane tank. I have a 1 gallon tank that I just pull out and hook up when needed. It would be cooler to have the propane and water hooked up all the time. Maybe on the next build.
I keep all of our camp dishes and pots/pans in the back part of the kitchen so it's one less thing to load up for the trip.
The fridge is great. Definitely a luxury. The slide for the fridge was originally going to be for a large yeti cooler so you could go either way. I have panels that I can put in if I take the fridge out to make a completely flat bed area.
I put the felt trunk liner type material on top of everything. It's cheap and easy to work with but not that durable. It's holding up ok but I would do something like a indoor/outdoor carpet if I did it again.

Let me know if you have other questions. The forum was a great resource for me so I'm happy to help.

Reactions: Dave Snyder

Dave Snyder

Rank VI
Investor

Trail Blazer II

Greenfield Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

Overall it's working pretty well. There are some minor tweaks I would make but otherwise I'm happy with it. The one major downside is that it's definitely not easily removable. It's in there until I decide to do something completely different. It limits the "truck" use of the truck but I can make it work most of the time.

Here are some more details on the build if you're interested.

I have a 15 gallon water tank up against the cab as well as a 100ah lifepo battery along with the renology DC-DC charger. Having running water is really nice. I didn't think about putting in a water level sensor at the time so I would change that if I did it again. I have a water pump that hooks up to a hose with quick connects and runs out near the kitchen. I have a garden hose sprayer on the end for rinsing off after the beach and then I can disconnect that and hook it to the kitchen sink pretty easily. The kitchen faucet only has one input so you get cold water but you could hook up a joolca or similar water heater if you really wanted hot water coming out.
I used 5' long slides in a 6.5' bed so that left room for the rectangular water tank up front. The construction was plywood since that's what I had available. I'm sure you could get lighter with 80/20 but that was out of my price range.
I used self adhesive vinyl tiles for the "countertop" area around the sink and under the stove slide out. They look cool but the adhesive gets soft in the sun so I definitely wouldn't do that again.
I don't have a great place to keep the propane tank. I have a 1 gallon tank that I just pull out and hook up when needed. It would be cooler to have the propane and water hooked up all the time. Maybe on the next build.
I keep all of our camp dishes and pots/pans in the back part of the kitchen so it's one less thing to load up for the trip.
The fridge is great. Definitely a luxury. The slide for the fridge was originally going to be for a large yeti cooler so you could go either way. I have panels that I can put in if I take the fridge out to make a completely flat bed area.
I put the felt trunk liner type material on top of everything. It's cheap and easy to work with but not that durable. It's holding up ok but I would do something like a indoor/outdoor carpet if I did it again.

Let me know if you have other questions. The forum was a great resource for me so I'm happy to help.
Thanks for the input. Gives me some ideas. It's going to be a while before I get around to that part of the build but if I have any questions I'll be in touch.

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
Nice. What spigot is that and how did you secure it to the end cap? Thx
8CBABCDC-40EA-41CE-A6FE-53684A89D767.jpeg8655105B-72B1-43D7-A897-8D37EB19FA6C.jpeg

Just choose a random spigot. Used the PEX adapter as the jam nut. Had to cut the end off of it. The red caps are from Amazon. Drilled a 3/4 hole in the center of the cap and treaded everything together.

oldsoldier181

Rank IV

Influencer II

Ayer, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
reed
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1WTR
Service Branch
Army
Here is my Yoke Outdoors chuck box, in use. The stove is a Coleman 425E I picked up off ebay, cheap. It was labeled as "not working, needs parts". Being pretty familiar with these, from my youth, and other stoves of the era, I figured, for the price he was selling, the part I may need, if any, would not break the bank, and STILL be a steal. My real concern was the gas tank, as a new one would be more than what I paid for the stove.
But, got the stove, pulled apart the pump-replaced the pump cup in there (which was a later version, the stuff similar to wetsuit material) with a leather pump cup, put it together-and it fired up!!
I LOVE this stove. For me, its nostalgic, and brings me back to camping as a kid. The stove looked barely used-the gas tank was almost pristine. I think this was used for a season, then put away and forgotten.
I love using the chuck box. ALL kitchen gear goes in there, its the size of a tote, and fits perfect in the back of the truck. Quick setup and takedown.

camp kitchen 2022.jpg

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Reading, Lyon County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG

fernandes845

Rank 0

Contributor II

Pakistan
First Name
Fernandes
Last Name
Shames
Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Blair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TCO
Service Branch
Army
My buddy and I designed a custom drawer system for the back of my 4Runner. It turned out pretty cool, all Baltic birch with some heavy duty drawer slides.

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
My buddy and I designed a custom drawer system for the back of my 4Runner. It turned out pretty cool, all Baltic birch with some heavy duty drawer slides.
love it!
looks very well built and definitely loving the drawer in a drawer...excellent use of space

Cap'n Jack

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Blair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TCO
Service Branch
Army
love it!
looks very well built and definitely loving the drawer in a drawer...excellent use of space
Thanks so much! It's been really useful, I've been enjoying using it the last few trips. Really nice to have all of my stuff in one place.

Reactions: grubworm

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Here is my Yoke Outdoors chuck box, in use. The stove is a Coleman 425E I picked up off ebay, cheap. It was labeled as "not working, needs parts". Being pretty familiar with these, from my youth, and other stoves of the era, I figured, for the price he was selling, the part I may need, if any, would not break the bank, and STILL be a steal. My real concern was the gas tank, as a new one would be more than what I paid for the stove.
But, got the stove, pulled apart the pump-replaced the pump cup in there (which was a later version, the stuff similar to wetsuit material) with a leather pump cup, put it together-and it fired up!!
I LOVE this stove. For me, its nostalgic, and brings me back to camping as a kid. The stove looked barely used-the gas tank was almost pristine. I think this was used for a season, then put away and forgotten.
I love using the chuck box. ALL kitchen gear goes in there, its the size of a tote, and fits perfect in the back of the truck. Quick setup and takedown.

View attachment 241334
Love the vintage Coleman, bigtime nostalgia for sure. I still have/use the one from my childhood. Sometimes, I'm tempted to replace with a modern one, but nostalgia keeps me from doing that...

Reactions: oldsoldier181