Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
Here's my typical setup, kitchen is in the back of my rig (F350 with AT Habitat). Tailgate down is often good enough for working space. I have pop-up tables and chairs for company. I have a few stove options depending on weather and what I'm cooking.

Attachments

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Did you see the Andrew White video where they used a sat phone to order a Uber eats pizza on the Canning Stock Route?
I bet they had a sizeable tip to get someone to take it. Or it was a fellow 4wd nut that has been waiting his whole career for that call

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Reactions: PCO6

TSL

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oregon
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Leahy
I built this slide out kitchen inspired by pictures I saw on this thread and elsewhere online. Thought about buying one of the commercially available options, but couldn't find anything that looked either just what I wanted or affordable !
I am not a cabinet maker by any means, and I've never built anything like this before so it was quite the ride learning how to do it, and I was somewhat amazed when it came together as well as it did ( I half expected the drawers to bind up and stick ! )
I've built it with Australian pine, 3/4" (nominal) for the cabinet and 1/2" for the drawer. I was looking for baltic birch but it's either not available or extremely expensive in my area and the local hardwood specialty store I went to suggested this Australian pine. It's 15 ply on the 3/4" and 11 ply on the 1/2" and assembled with phenoloic glue, apparently it's supposed to be good for water resistance. I have 3 coats of Spar Urethane on the unit as well, so hopefully it holds up. The finished product is very heavy however, that's one downside of making it with wood. I plan to make a custom frame that I can slide it out onto whenever I want to store it and use the truck for "truck stuff", eg hauling firewood. I made it on a saw horse table and slid it into the truck. I don't ever want to try to lift the entire unit up from the ground !
Along with the little folding table it makes a great setup. I would like to get a 12V fridge some day. The YETI is great, but if the weather is hot enough, it does need the ice replenishing every 2 days or so.
I really wished I could find a stove with the propane port on the rear that I actually liked. I was nearly going to get the GSI Pinnacle Pro 2, but some reviews ( eg GSI Pinnacle Pro 2 Review ) were not super promising about it, so I decided to stick with my existing Eureka Ignite Plus, which is a great little stove with excellent simmer control. It does struggle a bit in high wind however. As you can see in the picture I use a clamp to manage the hose. It's one more thing to set up, but it works. I couldn't figure out any kind of quick connect mechanism. The ones available seem to only work with low pressure RV style stoves while these camp stoves all seem to use high pressure regulators.

Attachments

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Flathead River across from Glacier NP
That is in Montana? Very nice camp site. How are you deal with bears ?
Yes it is Montana and near the North Fork entrance to Glacier. I have bear spray and other members were carrying just in case, but thankfully no bears

Reactions: phlfly