South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
A little off-topic but I have been using these for about a year and am highly pleased. I see they are on sale and maybe a 10% discount also going through the website.

X-Pot: Collapsible Backpacking Pot | Sea to Summit

Then again, I mostly just boil water for coffee and use a ceramic lined frying pan or foil. But, the concept seems to work.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI
Expedition

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Ubi
Last Name
Ety
Member #

Ham Callsign
Ribs
A little off-topic but I have been using these for about a year and am highly pleased. I see they are on sale and maybe a 10% discount also going through the website.

X-Pot: Collapsible Backpacking Pot | Sea to Summit

Then again, I mostly just boil water for coffee and use a ceramic lined frying pan or foil. But, the concept seems to work.
Have seen those collapsable bowls and they are intriguing. This past winter got a set of Hydroflask plates and 12 oz cups; tough, no burns or spills, they nest and got a separate color for each family member. I like them! Their bowls are a bit large so we will use the plates and work off a stash of paper bowls.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

ZombieCat

Rank V
Adventure

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I’m all for cheap, lightweight and easy to replace, so the dishwasher and microwave safe plastic dinnerware from Target and Walmart are my favorites. Each piece was about 75 cents. I’ve added a couple of metal bowls ($1 each) and 3 sets of eating utensils (25 cents each piece) from Goodwill. My entire set, with the exception of the utensils and a Yeti cup, are nested in a 12”x12”x6” Sterlite container:
3 dinner plates
3 sandwich plates
3 small bowls
2 large soup bowls
1 small/1 medium metal mixing bowl
2 cups
1 splatter screen
1 heat diffuser (for biscuits, etc.)
1 silicone heat trivet
The multicolored dinnerware allows each person to quickly identify their plate/bowl. I store my eating/cooking utensils, knives and a few small kitchen items in a separate plastic box.
If anything is lost or damaged, it’s simple to replace. Paper plates are great if you’re only going out for a few days; multiply 3 meals a day by 30-60 days and that’s a lotta trash!

Attachments

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Adventure
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
If I was going to do it all over again I'd buy this set below, has everything you need IMO. As it stands I bought a nesting pot and pan set from Bass Pro, have a few cups I've collected along the way and mostly use paper plates because I hate doing dishes. Most of the time the paper plates are used to help start the fire.

GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Camper Cookset | REI Co-op

grubworm

Rank V

Member III

Thibodaux, LA, USA
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Ham Callsign
WRMA515
Service Branch
USN-Submarines
my step dad was quite the outdoorsman and even hunted on horseback and stuff. he just used a big cup and a spoon. up in the morning and coffee goes in the big cup and then later some cereal. lunch time and chili/soup in the cup. suppertime and i've seen salad go in the cup or some kind of casserole...whatever.

years later, im a general contractor and i had my own big cup on site. id drink coffee out of it (it would damn near hold the whole pot) and i'd heat up soups and stews in it in the microwave. it worked great, i could move around site easy while eating and with a cup, i had one hand free for pointing. even at home i'll do that sometimes. the wife made red beans and rice...i'll drop in some rice, add beans and sit a piece of cornbread on the edge and i am free to move around as i eat. works great for camping because basically not much to wash and its easy to use while driving.

i really cant think of a food situation that the big cup couldnt handle. add a Spork to it and youre unstoppable!

1653418582564.png

Reactions: Ubiety