Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
Another vote for Corelle. We have some plates made from bamboo [supposed to be eoc-friendly, re-newable source, etc] but rarely use them. Most meals are served in our Corelle bowls; not so much spillage with a bowl!

RusD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
D
Member #

Yeah I've gone through most camping brands and they are by far the toughest polymer place settings I've found. They hold up well against utensils, the honeycomb bottom is super rigid that you can load them up, and they don't get crazy hot like my stainless plates did. They're like a 8/10 in all categories whereas I felt like all others were a sacrifice in some way.
I was surprised to find the same honeycomb bottom on the Walmart brand set I mentioned a few posts up. I really am pleased with them especially at a fraction of the cost of Sea to Summit.

Rich_the4x4podcast

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lawrence KS
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Young
Member #

I've been using GSI Cascadian plates and bowls for years. BPA free and inexpensive. They are the exception to the "pick 2" rule I'd give customers when I worked at a backpacking/mountaineering store.

Lightweight
Inexpensive
Durable

Pick 2 because you can't have all 3.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I was surprised to find the same honeycomb bottom on the Walmart brand set I mentioned a few posts up. I really am pleased with them especially at a fraction of the cost of Sea to Summit.
Eh, I'm not really one to sweat price on $10 plates that are exactly what I want but I get it. I buy a lot through REI that is cheaper elsewhere out of respect for their generous return policy because I use it to refine the little things in my kit.

JANITO33

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Miami Gardens, FL, USA
First Name
Alexandro
Last Name
Caraballo
Member #

I have used Walmart (Ozark trail 4p) for the last 10 years, they are light and do not take up as much space, or paper plates when it is possible, (good fire star)

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Thanks for the replies, I'm amazed nobody has suggested Snow Peak titanium bowls yet. :)

Our current setup is similar to some of the above... inexpensive metal flatware and plastic plates and bowls from Target. At one point I had a set of nice lightweight plastic silverware, but people kept accidentally throwing it out so I replaced it with the metal ones. I don't love our plastic bowls since they don't nest well and take extra space.

I've seen a few recommendations for Corelle. How does it hold up in the long term in a high vibration environment such as a truck? It would be a bummer to run a really bumpy trail, or to accidentally drop my kitchen box, and find that things have chipped or broken.
Funny! My 22-year old son has the Snow Peak stuff in his "Save For Later" list at REI.com. But, he's 22 and single. He can afford that stuff! ;-)

We just carry the plastic bowls and cups from IKEA, with some old stainless steel flatware utensils. I have plastic mixing bowls, and I'm really thinking I need to move to one stainless bowl - I don't like the way the plastic scratches and holds onto dirt.

Monty_moose_gen2

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Vaughan
Member #

We have been using the granite wear stuff for years..... and always have paper plates for quick lite foods. The granite wear stuff is almost indestructible. We have had it for at least 20 years. Silverware is just some cheap oneida stuff from Walmart. As for cups.... its usually Rtic or something similar as they keep drinks hot/cold for a good part of the day.

UltraFlyGuy

Rank I

Contributor III

Beaufort, SC, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Griesbaum
Member #

I've tried everything from stainless steel and cast iron to titanium eeeeeeverything ($$$) but in the end you can't beat good old fashion aluminum cook wear. The dont need a lot of heat (compared to cast iron), non-stick using a oil seasoning before cooking, cool down fast, light weight, fire friendly and easy to clean. There's a reason the US gov issues aluminum bowels as part of a soldiers mess kit for over a quarter century.

Note: Stay away from stainless and any non-stick pots and pans as they will get ruined right quick when long term overlanding (and they are heavy)

For bowls, plates and cups, I use enamel ware. Light, durable and easy to clean with cold water. No plastic as it gets trashed if you use it on the trail for any length of time.

UltraFlyGuy

Rank I

Contributor III

Beaufort, SC, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Griesbaum
Member #

Thanks for the replies, I'm amazed nobody has suggested Snow Peak titanium bowls yet. :)

Our current setup is similar to some of the above... inexpensive metal flatware and plastic plates and bowls from Target. At one point I had a set of nice lightweight plastic silverware, but people kept accidentally throwing it out so I replaced it with the metal ones. I don't love our plastic bowls since they don't nest well and take extra space.

I've seen a few recommendations for Corelle. How does it hold up in the long term in a high vibration environment such as a truck? It would be a bummer to run a really bumpy trail, or to accidentally drop my kitchen box, and find that things have chipped or broken.
I've used Snow Peak titanium gear. Good stuff but expensive to aluminum which weight only a few ounces more. For the cost you dont really get any advantages. If you are backpacking...sure go with Snow Peak titanium but otherwise save you $$$ :D

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I've tried everything from stainless steel and cast iron to titanium eeeeeeverything ($$$) but in the end you can't beat good old fashion aluminum cook wear. The dont need a lot of heat (compared to cast iron), non-stick using a oil seasoning before cooking, cool down fast, light weight, fire friendly and easy to clean. There's a reason the US gov issues aluminum bowels as part of a soldiers mess kit for over a quarter century.

Note: Stay away from stainless and any non-stick pots and pans as they will get ruined right quick when long term overlanding (and they are heavy)

For bowls, plates and cups, I use enamel ware. Light, durable and easy to clean with cold water. No plastic as it gets trashed if you use it on the trail for any length of time.
Curious how you've ruined stainless... A little barkeep's friend liquid every month or two has kept mine fairly pristine. IMO Aluminum and non-stick are convenient (I have a GSI non-stick for eggs and the like) but I can proper cook on stainless in ways I just can't with aluminum - it just doesn't hold enough heat when cold ingredients hit the pan.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I disagree with most of this. I also understand, the reason I love something is the reason you hate it. My cooking on the road is pretty high end and I demand quite a bit from my cooking and eating stuff. I hate using any metal plates or cups, they burn you. My cups are lexan and 20 years old, not pretty but I have yet to burn my lips on one. My plates are like Melmac, my friends kids put art on a blank, they sent to a place that turned them into plates. They don't microwave, so they have been camping plates for 25 plus years. They are pretty indestructible and don't get to hot to hold. My wine goblets are stainless. The pots and pans are SS and are easier to clean than Alum. only 20 years of use. My backpacking cooking gear is alum. because of weight, backpack bowl is Tupperware. Last year I was using my grear 65 nights camping in the truck. Weight and space are not much of a issue for me. YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: UltraFlyGuy

UltraFlyGuy

Rank I

Contributor III

Beaufort, SC, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Griesbaum
Member #

I disagree with most of this. I also understand, the reason I love something is the reason you hate it. My cooking on the road is pretty high end and I demand quite a bit from my cooking and eating stuff. I hate using any metal plates or cups, they burn you. My cups are lexan and 20 years old, not pretty but I have yet to burn my lips on one. My plates are like Melmac, my friends kids put art on a blank, they sent to a place that turned them into plates. They don't microwave, so they have been camping plates for 25 plus years. They are pretty indestructible and don't get to hot to hold. My wine goblets are stainless. The pots and pans are SS and are easier to clean than Alum. only 20 years of use. My backpacking cooking gear is alum. because of weight, backpack bowl is Tupperware. Last year I was using my grear 65 nights camping in the truck. Weight and space are not much of a issue for me. YMMV.
Sure everyone has their option but of the 65 nights you camped last year (I camped 365 days....the full year...for the last 4 years out of a vehicle) did you actually use a microwave???? :D :D I thought we were talking about actual camp kitchen wares here not " pretty high end" cooking" and wine goblets! Sure when you are on the road 17% of the year or doing weekend trips so bring along the Lexan and microwave...heck even the actual kitchen since. But for those of us that travel more than 75% of the year, weight does indeed matter. Just like when you are backpacking.....

And Pro Tip: Dont want burnt lips from a metal cup, get a double walled cup like a Yeti or RTIC....spoiler alert....they are metal too. :)

Reactions: Viking1204

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Sure everyone has their option but of the 65 nights you camped last year (I camped 365 days....the full year...for the last 4 years out of a vehicle) did you actually use a microwave???? :D :D I thought we were talking about actual camp kitchen wares here not " pretty high end" cooking" and wine goblets! Sure when you are on the road 17% of the year or doing weekend trips so bring along the Lexan and microwave...heck even the actual kitchen since. But for those of us that travel more than 75% of the year, weight does indeed matter. Just like when you are backpacking.....
And Pro Tip: Dont want burnt lips from a metal cup, get a double walled cup like a Yeti or RTIC....spoiler alert....they are metal too. :)

You do you! I cook and dine better than most both at home and on the road and have the tools to do so. This is my camp kitchen, wine goblets, spice box and all. You live the life you settle for. I also eat better backpacking too.
Please reread, "They don't microwave, so they have been camping plates for 25 plus years." I don't use them at home so they moved them to the cookbox." I run a full a 3/4 ton truck because I got tired of traveling small. I also bring plenty of toys.

Pro tip: Spend the same for a high end cup and get 6 cups and a thermos. Maybe help a friend or make a new one with a cups of joe.

Last edited:

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melboure,Victoria, Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
I use melamine and polycarbonate crockery and cheap stainless cutlery, i dont like using enamel or stainless and most of my cookware is old aluminium or non-stick steel. Plastic can be a little harder to clean fats and oils from but so much easier to handle and doesn't get hot .
We have a camper trailer so most of the gear is stored in its slide out kitchen so i'm going to look at one of those small nesting kits just as a vehicle set so i don't have to go searching for stuff when i go out just with my mates or just 1 kid and my dog.

Reactions: MMc

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

I searched for good cheep stacking bowls for a while before finding the perfect ones on the storage isle at the supermarket. Set of 4 glad bowls. Saved one lid incase I need to store left overs but I typically keep my sponge and scrubber in this bowl. I typacally use gallon zip locks for left overs as it stores in the smallest space in the fridge. For plates I grabed some square plastic "chinette" plates from target. My 'silverware" are the plactic camping spork/knife combos.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I swear by garage sale items. I like heavy glass glasses, real china plates, and china cups.
I wrap them in old garage sale tea towels and it alll fits in the wash basin.

My garage sale budget is 25 cents per piece or a dollar for a full set.
There is a cool factor to eating off heirloom items.
My quest this year is real silverware.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I swear by garage sale items. I like heavy glass glasses, real china plates, and china cups.
I wrap them in old garage sale tea towels and it alll fits in the wash basin.

My garage sale budget is 25 cents per piece or a dollar for a full set.
There is a cool factor to eating off heirloom items.
My quest this year is real silverware.
Great idea! Check out thrift stores too.