pabloquiros

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Morro Bay, California
Member #

@maktruk

You can buy pin flags on the beach, theres like 3 or 4 quad rental places before the "dunes" that will sell you flags, usually anywhere from $10 to $25. You could get by with hanging yours off the cb antenna, like someone else said its mostly to make you visible to others.

The normal "camp grounds" that are used for Surf n' Turf, huckfest and such are right before the dunes after tent city. So towards the end of the solid sand flatlands before the dunes begin, HOWEVER I think camping further in should be pretty cool with a somewhat noticeable group (for safety).

There is good cell service in the area, and there are restaurants, gas, air, water not far from the dunes, 5 minutes or so out the Oceano gate.

If someone winds up wanting to do a fence run, i have an extra FRS radio someone can use, as well as a portable CB.

There are bathrooms scattered across the park, so that's a plus if you're bringing family or what not.

Last edited:
Reactions: O.Dfj

Connor Gibson

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Santa Clara, CA
Member #

This is sounding like a pretty fun meet up. Could I meet up with you guys in Gilroy Saturday morning to caravan down there? I've never been to the dunes before.

MarioDidIt

Rank III

Advocate II

Its looking like my FJ will need some CV axle TLC on Saturday morning.
Probably wont be able to leave the LA area until noon.... can someone PM me their # so I can find the group when I arrive, hopefully around 3-4pm.

pabloquiros

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Morro Bay, California
Member #

It will be our first time camping/off-roading in Pismo, anything I need to bring or prepare for?
So all the commodities of the city are close, in the sense of available water, food, supplies, fuel, air, etc. So you can pretty much go out, buy whatever you need and come back. HOWEVER if you want to go in and not leave until you're headed home, I would bring water, firewood, food, and some blankets for the night, it can get windy at night time. I can't remember if your rig has an RTT or not but regardless it can get cold at night. I'd probably bring something to entertain the kiddos if you're going to be static all day some beach toys or whatever.

I've never been one to get in the ocean at the dunes only because i always think of all the rigs driving around and all the dirtiness that comes with it, but a lot of people do go swimming out there.

Reactions: MilkTeacoma

pabloquiros

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Morro Bay, California
Member #

Also, the weather has been beautiful out here most of the week, so supposedly its going to be in the 70's for the weekend. Should be nice and sunny and a good time.

Like I had stated before, I will bring some firewood for the guys that are camping (I'm not, since I'm local might as well go home) and will bring some beer and stuff to grill on my skottle.

Reactions: MilkTeacoma

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

It appears if I just flag my CB antenna (42" on center of my roof) I should be good?
Wally-World has bike flags for $6.

The official rules for playing in the dunes below: (including flags)

Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area.

(a) All vehicles may be operated only as follows:

(1) The boundaries of vehicle use shall be designated by the District

Superintendent as shown on a map posted at the unit.

(2) The towing by a vehicle of any object other than another vehicle or trailer is

prohibited.

(3) All Off-Highway Vehicles registered under California Vehicle Code Section

38010 or other vehicles primarily operated for Off-Highway Vehicle activities shall be

equipped with a whip, which is any pole, rod or antenna, that is securely mounted on the

vehicle and which extends at least eight (8) feet from the surface of the ground when the

vehicle is stopped.

When the vehicle is stopped, the whip shall be capable of standing upright when

supporting the weight of any attached flags.

At least one whip attached to each vehicle shall have a solid red or orange colored

safety flag with a minimum size of six (6) inches by twelve (12) inches and be attached

within ten (10) inches of the top of the whip. Flags may be of pennant, triangle, square, or

rectangular shape. Club or other flags may be mounted below the safety flag or on a

second whip.

(4) When a vehicle is operated in the dunes area, which is that land area extending

from the first line of sand dunes inland outside Pismo Dunes Natural Preserve, the vehicle

shall have additional equipment as follows:

(A) Each vehicle, except motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) shall be

equipped with adequate roll bars or roof structure of sufficient strength to support the

weight of the vehicle and shall have a secure seat and seat belt for the vehicle operator

and each passenger. Seat belts shall be as specified in the California Vehicle Code.

(B) Each vehicle shall be equipped with a whip as described in section 4609(a)(3).

(b) No person shall operate any vehicle at a greater speed or in any other manner than is

safe or prudent having regard for weather, visibility, traffic conditions, presence of

pedestrians, and the nature of the terrain on which the vehicle is being operated, and in

no event at a speed or in a manner which endangers the health or safety of persons or

property.

(c) No person shall operate a vehicle in a manner which endangers the health or safety of

any occupant under the age of eighteen.

(d) No person shall allow any person under the age of eighteen to operate a vehicle in a

situation where his or her health or safety is endangered as a result of the operation of

the vehicle.

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

Some helpful tips for those new to the dunes:

For folks leaving or arriving late: The Grand Ave park entrance closes at night. (10PM?) Just head down to the Pier Ave entrance.

At a certain time at night (10PM?), the rangers want you off the beach if do not have a camping permit. Maybe someone provide some additional info here.

Chevron on Grand Ave allows free tire fill-ups. There are multiple hoses on each fuel island.

If you want to camp, I recommend getting a reservation ahead of time. I think they allow 1000 campsites in the dunes, but I have been there in the morning when it was already sold out.
https://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/oceano-dunes-svra/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=CA&parkId=120065

It's always nice to know where you are, and where you're going. A fine map will help.
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1170/files/OC-Map-WebVersion-Download.pdf

Drive safe! Have fun!

Last edited: