• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Jeepmedic46
My wife found for me a Canon XJ digital lr camera for 100 dollars. Is this a good deal as i’m Just starting out?
I'm not familiar with that Canon model. searching for it I find some security cameras rather than DSLR, Mirrorless, or compact still cameras.
I'd suggest looking it up on dpreview and see how old it is and how it compares to other cameras in your price range.

Boort

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

@Jeepmedic46

I'm not familiar with that Canon model. searching for it I find some security cameras rather than DSLR, Mirrorless, or compact still cameras.
I'd suggest looking it up on dpreview and see how old it is and how it compares to other cameras in your price range.

Boort
Thank you for that link. The camera is a Canon XS not XJ. Not sure if you can change lenses. Couldn’t tell in the reviews.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Thank you for that link. The camera is a Canon XS not XJ. Not sure if you can change lenses. Couldn’t tell in the reviews.
@Jeepmedic46

Looking that up it looks like it is a 10MP canon entry level camera from 2008. I found them selling on line from $75 up to $200. I can't speak to how it functions but it looks like it has a number of featues that I would expect for an entry level camera. If you want to compare it to a similar vintage camera put it side by side with the Nikon D300s or D700. I still have and use my D700.

Boort

pnwcruiser

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Swartz
Member #

Canon Rebel line of DSLR are good cameras. The XS is able to use any EF or EF-S Canon lens. EF is the mount type, EF-S is for crop sensor Canon cameras like the XS. My daughter shot this at Zion with a Canon XTi (older version of the XS). Don't get caught up in spending a boat load on the latest and greatest unless you really just want to. If you want something good to shoot with and want to learn, used is always a good way to get going. We got the XTi with lens and extra battery for $100 years ago off Craigslist.

Attachments

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Canon Rebel line of DSLR are good cameras. The XS is able to use any EF or EF-S Canon lens. EF is the mount type, EF-S is for crop sensor Canon cameras like the XS. My daughter shot this at Zion with a Canon XTi (older version of the XS). Don't get caught up in spending a boat load on the latest and greatest unless you really just want to. If you want something good to shoot with and want to learn, used is always a good way to get going. We got the XTi with lens and extra battery for $100 years ago off Craigslist.

View attachment 107532
Thank you, Awesome picture. My wife is picking up the camera tomorrow. It’s coming with a lens charger, battery, and memory card.

Reactions: pnwcruiser

pnwcruiser

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Swartz
Member #

Thank you, Awesome picture. My wife is picking up the camera tomorrow. It’s coming with a lens charger, battery, and memory card.
Happy to read this. Get out and shoot. Even if you only have a cellphone, use what you've got. I geek out on technical details, but as long as you are having fun and enjoying the opportunity to shoot stuff you like, awesome.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

My wife picked up the Canon Rebel XS today. Turns out it was owned by a photographer who apparently gets free things from Canon. The camera is brand new and has never been used. Only thing is it didn’t come with a manual. Any suggestions on where I can download a manual. Can’t wait to start shooting.

Reactions: pnwcruiser