Photography

• HTML tutorial

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Could any of you photographers recommend a decent water resistant/Proof DSLR I have only come across the Pentax k70 in my searches, and the more I read on b&h the more I get confused

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Could any of you photographers recommend a decent water resistant/Proof DSLR I have only come across the Pentax k70 in my searches, and the more I read on b&h the more I get confused
I don't know of any waterproof dSLR cameras. The only waterproof 35mm film SLR was the Nikonos, and it has been long discontinued.

The Pentax k70 is weather sealed, which means it can be used in light mist or sprinkles and dusty condition. Not heavy rain, and certainly not waterproof. Canon, Nikon, et al all make weather sealed cameras.

Here's a recent article that might help: http://www.switchbacktravel.com/weather-sealed-dslr-cameras-list

Reactions: NW David

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I've shot with a couple of Nikonos cameras the V and III models. My grandfather had the Nikonos I, II, III, and V over the years. Additionally there were a great line of underwater cameras by Sea&Sea. They are still around and now are a manufacturer of the high end housings mentioned above.

If you are just looking for splash proof and dust proof rather than Dive housings look into some of the waterproof bags for an affordable alternative.

I keep these ( https://optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html ) in my camera bag as insurance for a rainy day, they are super light weight and work well for keeping a light rain or waterfall mist off the camera. Also work well for keeping frost / dew off if doing overnight timelapse shots. Basically it's a dry cleaning bag shaped to fit over a camera.

Next step up is a water proof dry bag, There are a bunch of these on the market and they seem to be getting better every year. The early ones had rather crappy lenses, a stiff feel and difficult access to buttons. Newer ones like ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612831-REG/ ) have improved on many of these issues. and are still under $100. I've played with these but don't own one because I've yet to find one that can be used on a tripod. They look great for surf shots, kayaking etc... but I doubt I submerge my Nikon in one.

Then there are the Outex setups ( http://outex.com/waterproof-camera-covers-products/ ) These are very flexible. Use optical quality glass, good button feel, and offer tripod support. The cost is higher than the bags above and depends on what size camera kit you are protecting. To protect my Nikon with grip and a 77mm lens the cost is just over $500.

Boort

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I keep these ( https://optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html ) in my camera bag as insurance for a rainy day
I keep a couple plastic grocery bags in my kit for the same purpose. Just tear a hole in the corner for the lens, and good to go! Not the prettiest thing when in a group of photographers, but it works just about as well.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Steve

I did the same for years, then I needed a few dollars to get free shipping on an amazon order and these fit the bill. :D

Boort

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I've been fighting the battle of organizing my TruckVault drawers since I bought them, especially for my camera gear. After blowing through pick and pluck foam and not getting something that worked for all situations I started looking at the TrekPak stuff for my Pelican cases. Then I noticed TruckVault listed the system for their drawers. I made a call and they hooked me up. I've never been this organized in my life. I travel with both cameras ready to shoot, 6d for scenery and misc with a 24-105, and my crop camera with the 100-400. This system will allow me to adjust for the adventure. Now to work on the fishing gear drawer...

TrekPak.jpg

Last edited:

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Some wonderful images and stories from people all over about their photography exploits,

Like with any hobby it is what you make it and its always a nice thing when you do post/publish the work people appreciate it and see from your point of view,

I've done amateur stuff for years and more lately (last year or two) has become more semi-professional style
I did all the work for my sisters wedding when we went over to Antigua for 2 weeks oct/nov 2015

I started with Cannon 1100D with the basic lenses which i still use for quick out and about snaps
My more pro one is my Cannon 7D which i usually carry with my 18-120mm lense and 300mm lense
Been doing a lot with GoPro the last few years so some interesting things have come from that

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Xplorer48

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, WA
Member #

I have been shooting since I was a kid off and on. We use our Overlanding trips to discover landscapes to shoot. I also do some concert photography but not as much as I used to. I have always used Nikon but other brands are good, too. We are headed out next Sunday minus my 24-70mm due to a drunk knocking me down and damaging the front element at a concert. You can see my photos at the link below
http://www.clikrf8images.com/browse

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

Trekkieusn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson Az
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Berno
Member #

I use a Canon 60D with several different lenses, I also still have my Canon AE1 that I break out occasionally. I try and take 10 pictures a day doesn’t matter what the subject, not big into portraits.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly