First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
@MOAK

PPI stands for Pixels Per Inch. If your image is to be printed at 4"x 6" then you need an image that is 1200 x 1800. Your image examples of 2,900 x 4,000 should be printable at 9"x 13" in 300ppi and 4000x6000 at 13"x20"

72DPI is the resolution of normal monitors (other common higher resolution screens include 92, and 100 dpi)

Boort
so then, all I need to do is be sure that my images are large enough to "fulfill" the 300 ppi request as most of my images do that easily as they are larger than the 4320 x 3240 size. Thanks.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@MOAK
so then, all I need to do is be sure that my images are large enough to "fulfill" the 300 ppi request as most of my images do that easily as they are larger than the 4320 x 3240 size. Thanks.
Yup, these days most cell phone images have the needed resolution for printable images.

Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Steve
Ah! Using the paranoid as a reverse support of sorts, keeping the lens pointed at the same vertical angle. Gotcha! Much like a sling on a rifle. I thought you were using it for some sort of indexing during rotation or something similar.

I always have my tripod in the vehicle when I'm out, which works as long as the head is level.

I haven't done a dSLR panorama, as I don't have any stitching software for the Mac. Thanks for the Hugin link. I'll give that a try. I used to take handheld panoramas with my old Canon Elph, stitching with the included software, but that's been *many* years ago. And I always used horizontal, not vertical framing. Interesting method!

Thank you!
Your welcome.

I generally haul a tripod these days but for many years shot handheld or on a monopod (even with my 645 system). I can't claim to have invented the method, but I've been using is so long I'm afraid I don't remember who showed it to me. :( It can also be used with lighter string like fishing line to get better results when taking cell phone panos.

All indexing is done visually via live view or viewfinder in steps 4/5/6. I still index visually today even though I have a pano head now. (I got it for allowing clean results with foreground elements, and learning to do night panos)

I got my start with Hugin/PT back in my film days, it can stitch panos that LR/PS can't. It can take a bit to learn but lots of good Youtube videos to help out there.

Boort

Reactions: Steve

Juggernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Ca
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Hart
Member #

Here are a few of mine from Tasmania.

The Boat Shed - Cradle Mountain Tasmania by Scott Murray, on Flickr

Untitled by Scott Murray, on Flickr

Untitled by Scott Murray, on Flickr

Overland Track by Scott Murray, on Flickr
Good eye
I've been in photography for a couple years now and have a D3300. Last year I got the sigma 17-50 f2.8 and I love it. Good camera to start out with and love the lens. I highly recommend better glass over a better body.

Here are a couple of my pictures from camping trips, let me know what you think :).

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Don't jump!

Reactions: Scott Murray

Juggernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Ca
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Hart
Member #

I have the same Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and the Nikon 35 f/1.8 DX lens. To add to that list the Nikon 12-24 f/4 is absolutely amazing and one of my all time favorite APS-C landscape lenses. Tokina offers a similar lens for less than you'll find the Nikon offering, but I haven't run that lens before and couldn't directly recommend it. I have a Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 that I love, even though it has some odd artifacting (rainbow lens flare off of lights, especially at night)

Sigma lens:

View attachment 36178
View attachment 36179

Nikon 12-24:

View attachment 36180
Love old black & whites

Reactions: WUzombies

Juggernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Ca
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Hart
Member #

@Steve

Gladly. Prep the paracord as follows:
  1. Cut a piece of paracord about as long as you are tall.
  2. Tie a stopper knot (1/2 hitch, Squareknot, etc...) at one end.
  3. Tie a slipknot in the other end so the tail of the slipknot adjusts the size of the loop.
  4. Stand on the end with the stopper knot and locate the slipknot so that it is about shoulder height when the rope is taught.

To take the Pano frames:
  1. Put the loop around our lens, snug it up around the middle of the barrel.
  2. Drop the knotted end to the ground, let it hang plumb, step on it.
  3. Hold Camera in Vertical/Portrait orientation, Focus and frame the left most shot of the pano. Take picture.
  4. Keeping the cord taught, and plumb pivot around the cord to the right until whatever was center right edge is now centered in the viewfinder. Take picture.
  5. Keeping the cord taught, and plumb pivot around the cord to the right until whatever was center right edge of the previous photo is now centered in the viewfinder. Take picture.
  6. Repeat Step 5 until you have the frames you need for your pano. Be sure to get an extra frame on each end.
  7. Take a pic of your finger or lens cap to mark the end of the pano.
  8. Use your favorite pano stitching software to stitch the pano together. (I've used Lightroom select the frames, <Ctrl/Cmd>+M, Merge to pano in Photoshop or hugin http://hugin.sourceforge.net/ )
This works well for single row panos as long as you have a static scene and nothing too close in the foreground. With some practice it can be used for multi-row panos as well (by tilting the camera within the loop then pivoting around)

Here is an early example of my results, 6 frames Shot with a Fuji s3Pro and the Nikon 70-300mm at 70mm, from Boreas Pass CO
View attachment 36380
Basically out of LR with some Cropping to get rid of some waviness around the edges.

Here is another from Trail Ridge Road in RMNP about a year later, same gear, 15 frames (Orig 26,562x4449 pixels):
View attachment 36382
You can see that I forgot to take the camera off Aperture priority mode and the exposure got off in the middle. This can be fixed with a little work in PS or LR but I wanted to show an example of the untouched stitch from LR. The waviness in the sky boarder can be repaired with PS/Content Aware fill and I'd likely crop the bottom off.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Boort
Perdy!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Back in the 70s and 80s the wife and I were professional photographers. We did expeditions all up and down the Rocky Mountains and hiked a ton. We used only large format and medium format gear. Our darkroom did 40"x60" color. We made a ton of money then the bottom fell out of the market.

We also had a video production company, doing commercials and industrial shoots.

We still shoot some. My favorite knock around camera is a well worn D5000. Since we did and still do almost exclusively scenic in the mountains and deserts, my lense selection leans to very wide angles. I am looking for a new very wide zoom (10-18mm), but they cost more than a camera.

I shoot a lot of gopro from quad copters and have built a gyro stabilized camera mount that can also be mounted on my expo rig. It makes a ton of difference in the production value when the camera and background stays level and the vehicle moves.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I haven't done a dSLR panorama, as I don't have any stitching software for the Mac. Thanks for the Hugin link. I'll give that a try. I used to take handheld panoramas with my old Canon Elph, stitching with the included software, but that's been *many* years ago. And I always used horizontal, not vertical framing. Interesting method!
@Boort I tried Hugin this weekend on our British car fall colors tour. It worked great! Thank you for the suggestion. The attached was just a three shot pano, and I forgot about holding vertical.

FCT-Pano.jpg

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Steve

Your welcome. An old friend has a green Jag the looks like the tan one on the end there. Beautiful machine. My former team leader used to race Triumphs as well fun little cars.

Boort

Reactions: Steve

Joshua Miller

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nikon D3200
Love it! Basic SLR camera that takes really nice photographs, priced around $400 when we bought it a few years ago. I am sure there is newer technology available, but this camera still works fine for our needs.

Reactions: old_man

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

I have an Olympus OMD EM5 MK II, nice little micro four thirds camera. I got a 14mm to 150mm zoom, a 75mm to 300mm zoom and a 25mm f1.7 prime. I like the portability and the weathersealed body. Have used it in rain and snow no problem. I still have tons to learn, but I have been enjoying the heck out of it for two years now.

I am ortezf1981 on instagram

Last edited:

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

Here you go I managed to figure out how to embed! I hope lol. There are thousands of shots I have taken on a hard drive at home, just learning the camera and playing with the settings. It is good fun to go out for a walk and capture moments. I still do no post processing, just JPGs from the camera. But I shoot Raw and jpg so when I decide to start playing with lightroom and photoshop again I will have all the flexibility the Raw files give you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 64Trvlr

Jeff Pedersen

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Cedar City Utah
Member #

I am a Canon shooter for over 20 years. I have several bodies but my current favorite is the 5D MK4 but I have others to depending on what I am shooting.