Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

We use 2 Canon 450D bodies, with a variety of lenses, along with a Iphones each.
I know the 450d is an old model now, but it does what we need, and the Iphone cameras are just awesome.
Also use a couple of GoPros and a drone is on the wish list.

Last edited:
I take a couple Nikon DSLR bodies, 18-55, 55-200, 35mm prime, Sony Handycam, flash, tripod, iPhone.

I would like to start using a GoPro with a steady-cam Mount and most the people I go overlanding with bring drones.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I've been an amateur photographer since I was eight year old, when my aunt gave me a Brownie for my birthday. I've been through a lot of cameras and formats (roll film, instamatics, 35mm, CD, floppy disk, etc. The truth through all of them, is that it isn't the equipment, but the photographer behind it.

You often hear "great photo, what camera did you use?" That's about the equivalent to going to a restaurant and saying "Great dinner, what pans do you use." :)

I'm currently using a nine year old Nikon dSLR (D200) and mainly use the 18-200mm zoom lens. I have several prime lenses, but the zoom lives on the camera 99% of the time. On this trip, the zoom failed about three weeks ago, so my photos have been severely compromised. (The VR cable broke off inside the sense, and won't let the lens focus or fire through a varying range of zoom, depending on where the cable happens to fall inside.) I have a 50mm prime, which I've used, but the lesson I learned this trip is to have redundant lenses. The lenses I have at home would have ben perfect for the situations I've been in. Instead, I've used the iPhone 6S camera way more than I normally would.

Here's a link to my cameras: http://www.morrisgarage.com/clique/
And here are the lenses and accessories for my Nikons: http://www.morrisgarage.com/clique/D200.html

Ha Ha... the Minolta 16 looks like my dads old spy camera.... LOL

Reactions: Steve

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I use a Canon T3i with Sigma lenses for land photo's and a Panasonic Lumix for Underwater. I fab'd a solar shield from welders glass for shots of the eclipse on a HappyOurOverlanding adventure to
Idaho last Aug. It worked...LOL
camera set up for solar pics (2).jpg

DRLExpress

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Estacada OR
Member #

I hope this is a good place for this question. I have been thinking I wanted to go though a few thousand of my old slides and a few negatives and convert some of them to digital. Has anyone used this or something similar? Have a better way? We're not talking big budget, pro.

Doug

Reactions: nickburt

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@DRLExpress
I hope this is a good place for this question. I have been thinking I wanted to go though a few thousand of my old slides and a few negatives and convert some of them to digital. Has anyone used this or something similar? Have a better way? We're not talking big budget, pro.
Doug
I've done a fair bit of converting my old negatives to digital. I'm currently staring down the barrel of scanning unknown thousands of my grandfather's slides that he shot over a lifetime. Over the years I've done it with various equipment, though never with a device like the one you linked. I can't speak highly of any of the "digital conversion services" I've tried. Scanning large numbers of slides/negatives is a fairly tedious process. You'll want clean cotton gloves and a source of oil free compressed air, you clean a stack, get them all rightside up and rotated in the correct orientation, load the strip or slide carrier into the scanner then wait 20 seconds to 2 mins (or more depending on equipment and settings) for each frame. Take them out and put them away, label so you can find them again if needed. Wash, rinse, repeat... I found that if I got into a groove I could finish 8-12 rolls an evening. When using my old slide copying equipment

As film is constantly degrading you don't want to have to do this more than once.
I would suggest finding a scanner that allows you to save to the TIFF fileformat and preferably uses lossless compression.
My favorite was the Nikon Coolscan 5000 I rented it from a local shop for about $100 a weekend, Make sure if you have slides to get the slide hopper as then you can clean and load up 50 slides, let it process those, while you clean the next 50 and in 15-20 mins and load up the next set.

The digital ICE feature is fantastic as cleaning up bits of dust and small nicks in the emulsion. I've only used the version in the Nikon Scanner but some of the Epson and Minolta scanners offer it as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Boort

Reactions: Steve and nickburt

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

All of this! ^^^^ I had a expensive Nikon scanner once, and I hated using it. No matter how much prep and caution I took, I always had way too many that either had dust or "popped" out of focus from the heat of the lamp. I ended up giving it away after sitting in a closet for ten years or so. (The scanner in the closet, not me; split infinitive...)

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

All of this! ^^^^ I had a expensive Nikon scanner once, and I hated using it. No matter how much prep and caution I took, I always had way too many that either had dust or "popped" out of focus from the heat of the lamp. I ended up giving it away after sitting in a closet for ten years or so. (The scanner in the closet, not me; split infinitive...)
So what's the answer @Steve - there must be a reasonably fool proof way of scanning both slides and negatives?

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

Doug
I am a multipurpose tool guy so I use a flat bed scanner that has an attachment for slides and pictures. It works quite fine. Have done hundreds of converts to digital. You may want to check Best Buy or Staples out prior to committing. Just thinking out loud here...:sunglasses:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

So what's the answer @Steve
I have no idea. I have thousands and thousands of my slides sitting in boxes in the same closet, plus beautifully preserved color slides of my Dad and grandfather back in the '30s. Those, along with a couple hundred rolls of 8mm movies will probably end up in the landfill when the kids clean out the house one day...

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I have no idea. I have thousands and thousands of my slides sitting in boxes in the same closet, plus beautifully preserved color slides of my Dad and grandfather back in the '30s. Those, along with a couple hundred rolls of 8mm movies will probably end up in the landfill when the kids clean out the house one day...
That would be a shame.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I am a multipurpose tool guy so I use a flat bed scanner that has an attachment for slides and pictures. It works quite fine. Have done hundreds of converts to digital. You may want to check Best Buy or Staples out prior to committing. Just thinking out loud here...:sunglasses:
Care to share which scanner etc... please.

DRLExpress

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Estacada OR
Member #

Some info here.
Scanners on Amazon.
Thanks for first link, interesting.

Doug
..... "popped" out of focus from the heat of the lamp....
I have wondered about that because I don't see a focus control on the one I linked to.

I have thought about this more lately because of the thread on here about first rigs. Would love to post some landcruser pictures from the '70's.

Thanks
Doug