Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

just picked up a Nikon D7100. upgraded from the D5300 i had for 2 days. long story. I have no idea what I'm doing with it. Way too much camera for me but ill get it figured out lol.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I have had one for a few years, you'l figure it out. I still am not using all the features of the camera and still learning them slowly.

Reactions: WCO_Ryan

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Headed to the east side yesterday to try and photograph Big Horn Sheep in the Deschutes canyon with my Dad. The canyon is greening up nicely with all the rain we've been getting ...

Deschutes-0542.jpg

We saw over 50 sheep, but they were camping out on the top of the canyon, across the river. No good photo opportunities. (This is a 100-400 on a crop camera body)

Deschutes-0236.jpg

Fishing wasn't an option as the river is a bit swollen at present. This is Shear's Falls. Note the lumber in the upper left. That's what is left of the Warm Springs Indian's netting platforms. They are normally 6 to 8 feet above the water...

Deschutes-0557.jpg

Here's the falls at normal (high) flows.

Deschutes-1113.jpg

Last edited:

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

I have a Sony A6000, which I love. It's a great camera in a compact format. It's a very versatile camera. I use a speed booster to mount my old Canon FD prime lenses (from the 70's), I also have an LA-EA4 adapter that allows me to mount my auto-focus Minolta lenses (from the 80's) and I can of course mount many modern Sony e-mount lenses as well.

My biggest problem is that I'm always the driver and I'm usually out with a club... so it's hard to take the time required to compose a great shot.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

I'd love to get into a little photography, I have a Sony nex-5 and have been thinking of taking an intro course. Do you guys think an nex-5 be a good learning tool?

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I'd love to get into a little photography, I have a Sony nex-5 and have been thinking of taking an intro course. Do you guys think an nex-5 be a good learning tool?
Its not a bad system, small compact and for getting started a digital view finder can be of help. If you believe you want to go further with photography after this camera look as far into the future as you can. Sony is a great system but can be limiting on glass and if you move to full frame the glass gets very pricy. Other DSLRs for less money you can get full frame glass for a lot less $. Such as Canon 50mm f/1.8 or f1.4 $120 / $350 . If you do a lot of hiking or traveling the sony system is nice due to size and weight it will definitely get you started.

Reactions: Hapkijo

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Could be as simple as a crop from a high res camera or could be as complicated as a stitched pano using a nodal rail and maybe some focus stacking. A nodal rail is important if you want straight pano shots instead of a curved shot.
Maybe - the resolution is pretty good. I'm not sure I could do that with my P45+ (7216 x 5412) as a single shot. I've got the resolution to match the file, but I'm not sure I could manage that much detail on the tower. Pano seems most likely. The dog was almost certainly a separate shot. You'll notice the DOF doesn't extend to the tower, but the rest of the tower is sharp. Parallax can be corrected in something like Autopano (which is what I use, when back shift won't cut it) - it's getting really hard to tell anymore that's for sure.

Contax 645 - Phase One P45+
Arca Swiss RM3di technical
Ebony SW45Ti 4x5
Nikon D2Xs
(pretty much all for sale - just haven't had the heart to post it on ebay)

http://www.frozenlightphoto.com (haven't touched that site in years I suppose I should update it.)

Reactions: WUzombies

WhiskeyIsMySpiritAnimal

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale AZ
Member #

Hi Everyone! Jumping in here, long time Canon shooter who recently changed over to Panasonic MF3 system. Was planning on making a big push into video, but realized I still prefer photography but really like the reduced weight of the Panasonic G7 while hiking. (I still may get another Canon though)

I don't really have a "type" of photography but I tend to gravitate towards landscapes. I really just kind of shoot anything that is interesting to me. I'm no technical master and tend to fix my shooting mistakes in post, but for me editing the photos is as enjoyable as taking them.

Here is some of my stuff, what do you guys think?

IMG_6548.jpg
P1060660.jpg
P1050314.jpg
P1050772.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Glad I found this thread. My trip to DVNP last year is how I learned about "overlanding" and is what got me looking into vehicle upgrades so that I can get to places like Racetrack Playa (could not attempt last spring in a rented SUV on mudded out roads (many were still flooded and closed from the rain the week before we got there)

Anyone out there like night photos? @deeker mentioned it earlier, and @escape_the_paradigm has an awesome MY photo above. If you are in the Colorado area Hit me up and lets head out.

Boort

Reactions: NWNavigator

ExploreDesert

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Menifee, Ca
Member #

Years ago, wasn't all that into photography but I did want to start capturing pictures of the night sky. Bought my first camera and a fast wide angle and started snapping away. Realized there was something about that feel/sound of a shutter being released and got addicted.

M5 with the 18-150mm is my go-to as it covers a decent focal range and makes getting a picture easy on the move. The 11-22 is great when exploring as it's sharp and wide. The Rokinon's come out when the sun goes down to capture the stars. I lend the SL1 out to friends/family who want to snap pictures.

Current equipment:

• Canon EOS M
  • Canon EOS M5
  • Canon SL1
  • EF-M 11-22mm
  • EF-M 18-150mm
  • EF-M 22mm
  • EF 50mm f1.8
  • Rokinon 12mm f2.0
  • Rokinon 8mm f2.8
  • EF-S 18-135mm