Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

There seems to be a few of you here on the forum that like me shot professionally at one time, or are still doing so. I worked in the now golden age of film and am still trying to figure out this digital thing. I really didn't have to deal with post production or storage as that was handled by art directors/layout artists and lab geeks. With Kodachrome/Ektachrome there wasn't much manipulation after the fact. The only time I had to do a composite image was for a CART/Indy Car poster and they used a computer the size of a small bedroom. Cutting edge stuff in the day. Now my phone can do it, I think.

Anyway, I'm in the process of starting off the New Year with a new catalog for my images. I seem to be doing more photography for my business/personal interests/publications and want to develop a work flow that will carry me into the next phase of my photography career. Who better to ask than a friendly group of like minded individuals whose mantra is to help and encourage. While my skill with these new digital cameras is slowly getting up to speed, my skill as a cataloger/post production organizer is wanting. My type B personality labels me as an artist and creative mind, with no ability to maintain order in the chaos that is my workspace. It doesn't matter if it's my workbench, fly bench, desk or sock drawer, organization is not my specialty. The only thing I keep totally ship shape are my boats, toolbox and 4runner. So, with that in mind I post these questions.

1. How do you manage your work flow when it comes to storing/editing images? Date? Location? Subject? Other?
2. Are images stored on an external drive or on your main hard drive? Backups?
3. Do you import RAW or convert to DNG? ( I no longer shoot jpeg in any of my cameras as most magazines want RAW files)
4. What is your criteria for deleting an image from your catalog? (besides the obvious misfires, out of focus)
5. Do you keep images on the original media? With SD cards so bloody cheap these days, it sounds like a good idea to me.
6. What is your preferred cataloging/editing software? (currently using LR 5, but have been advised to bite the bullet and go with the creative cloud)

I recently hired an independent Apple tech who works with professionals here in the area. We have formulated a plan for basic hardware and memory upgrades to increase speed and efficiency, but as far as the actual workflow goes I am still fine tuning the plan. Your input is appreciated. Be well and travel safe.

Klamath-3885.jpg
Workflow I totally understand....

Blank

Rank III

Advocate II

Yuma, AZ
1. How do you manage your work flow when it comes to storing/editing images?
In Lightroom, My top level folders are 2013, 2014, 2015, etc. Inside each one of those is 12 folders, 01-12 for Jan-Dec. In each of those folders I'll create a folder with a number for the date I'm dropping the card into the computer. For example, if last week I took pics Monday-Thursday and today is Dec 9th, the pics I'm putting in LR go in 2016>12>9 Simple as that. That's just to keep things basic and clean. I'm going to keyword tag my photos anyways so I don't need to know where I put them, keywording will find them.

For me, I keep them on my main drive because it's a solid state drive and it's fast and reliable and I only work with one catalog. I then keep a backup on my TimeMachine drive and a solid state external drive. I say that but I've never had an issue losing pics on my main drive. If I was a wedding or event photographer, I'd probably have one catalog for each client but I don't work that way. Just one catalog for me and my workflow.

3. Do you import RAW or convert to DNG?
I import RAW, then do the DNG conversion after I've culled my photos but before editing, it saves a lot of time. Why convert 500 RAW files to DNG if I'm going to toss 300 of them?

4. What is your criteria for deleting an image from your catalog? (besides the obvious misfires, out of focus)
I have a simple method. One finger on 'P' and one finger on 'X'. I start at the beginning of the last import, give it about 2 seconds, if I like it I 'P' it, if I don't I 'X' it. This will get out all the clearly bad shots. Then I run through one more time and get a little more critical. There's no reason to keep 5 shots of the same subject. Pick one, kill the rest, move on.

5. Do you keep images on the original media? With SD cards so bloody cheap these days, it sounds like a good idea to me.
I dump the card to the computer during import, eject the card, and the next time it goes back in the camera it gets a in-camera format, and it's good to go.

6. What is your preferred cataloging/editing software?
I use LR CC exclusively for cataloging, and LR/PS for editing with tons of plugins. I'm guilty of having too many LR plugins, but I'm a sucker for them.

Reactions: NWNavigator

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

1. How do you manage your work flow when it comes to storing/editing images?
In Lightroom, My top level folders are 2013, 2014, 2015, etc. Inside each one of those is 12 folders, 01-12 for Jan-Dec. In each of those folders I'll create a folder with a number for the date I'm dropping the card into the computer. For example, if last week I took pics Monday-Thursday and today is Dec 9th, the pics I'm putting in LR go in 2016>12>9 Simple as that. That's just to keep things basic and clean. I'm going to keyword tag my photos anyways so I don't need to know where I put them, keywording will find them.

For me, I keep them on my main drive because it's a solid state drive and it's fast and reliable and I only work with one catalog. I then keep a backup on my TimeMachine drive and a solid state external drive. I say that but I've never had an issue losing pics on my main drive. If I was a wedding or event photographer, I'd probably have one catalog for each client but I don't work that way. Just one catalog for me and my workflow.

3. Do you import RAW or convert to DNG?
I import RAW, then do the DNG conversion after I've culled my photos but before editing, it saves a lot of time. Why convert 500 RAW files to DNG if I'm going to toss 300 of them?

I have a simple method. One finger on 'P' and one finger on 'X'. I start at the beginning of the last import, give it about 2 seconds, if I like it I 'P' it, if I don't I 'X' it. This will get out all the clearly bad shots. Then I run through one more time and get a little more critical. There's no reason to keep 5 shots of the same subject. Pick one, kill the rest, move on.

I dump the card to the computer during import, eject the card, and the next time it goes back in the camera it gets a in-camera format, and it's good to go.

6. What is your preferred cataloging/editing software?
I use LR CC exclusively for cataloging, and LR/PS for editing with tons of plugins. I'm guilty of having too many LR plugins, but I'm a sucker for them.
Thanks for the input and thank you for your service.
Planing to do separate catalogs for each year, then renaming downloaded files with date/location (really just adding location) with a "Capture" sub file. Multi day events into the first date Capture file. I tried using Keywords, but will need to revisit that. Didn't fit into my workflow at the time.

I admire your ability to delete images. I agree, go with your gut and move on. Just not something I'm good at, yet.

I believe my plan will involve 4 TB external drives (2) with one as backup. Then older catalogs will be moved to a removable drive as these main drives fill up, moving them into safe storage. I will retain a file of exported/edited images on my SSD, backed up with Time Machine.

Thanks for taking the time this morning. Good input. Cheers!

FlyJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

El Dorado Hills, CA
Member #

I dabble a bit in night pics and lots of time lapse. I use a GoPro 4 black for my time lapse. I love getting night lapse but sadly the ISO on a GoPro just doesn't go high enough, but I've got some decent shots.

For night pics I use one of my buddies cameras until I can get one good enough. He's been teaching me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I love Eagles. This one lives on the Longbeach Peninsula in Washington. I was driving up the beach and spotted him in the surf line. I mounted up a 70-200 and started walking slowly towards him. These images are a few captured during this encounter. When I posted it filtered (bottom image) on Instagram, a friend shared it on something called Reddit and it blew up the internet for a day or two. He called to apologize for doing it without permission, but I thought it was kind of cool that a simple image would touch so many....probably my 15 minutes of fame. I normally use a filter or funky boarder on Instagram for that very reason, nobody swipes my images without permission.

Longbeach-4245.jpg
Longbeach-4250.jpg

FlyJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

El Dorado Hills, CA
Member #

Nice eagle pics! Mine was shot from a float tube with my fly rod in my other hand. I only have a point and shoot right now, but am saving up my pennies for a real camera. My buddy is a ranger in Marin County, so he has been teaching me how to take better pics. I teach him fly fishing, and he teaches me photography. And since we camp together a lot, he has taught me a lot.

We have tons of eagles where I fish, my best day I had 5 fly right over me in my float tube less than 40 feet above me. At one of my favorite lakes there are a pair, a male and a female, and I love listening to them talk.

But my favorite bird to get picks of are owls, but boy are they tough to get close to with my simple camera. So please post any owl pics you have taken.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Nice eagle pics! Mine was shot from a float tube with my fly rod in my other hand. I only have a point and shoot right now, but am saving up my pennies for a real camera. My buddy is a ranger in Marin County, so he has been teaching me how to take better pics. I teach him fly fishing, and he teaches me photography. And since we camp together a lot, he has taught me a lot.

We have tons of eagles where I fish, my best day I had 5 fly right over me in my float tube less than 40 feet above me. At one of my favorite lakes there are a pair, a male and a female, and I love listening to them talk.

But my favorite bird to get picks of are owls, but boy are they tough to get close to with my simple camera. So please post any owl pics you have taken.
A lot of my photos are taken during fishing trips, but I've always found it's hard to do both well. Lately I have been focusing (bad pun) on my photography more. I do a weekly newsletter and manage my website, so I need fresh photos. Like fly fishing, don't get too hung up on the equipment. This image was shot with my phone. The best camera is the one you have with you when you see the shot. Good cameras and good fly rods do make a difference in the right hands, but they are just tools. Understanding how they work is the key. Good luck in both arenas!

Reels.jpg

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

IMG_0098.JPG

Great idea for a thread since photography is something that I think is a GREAT crosspoint activity for Overlanding!! I take my dSLR everytime I go and usually at least snap a couple of the truck (yes, she is my favorite model of late and I have accessorized her accordingly) or manage to get a waterfall or two. I like to try to get to see the eagles every winter and it is my trusty truck that gets me there.

I currently shoot a Canon 7D with a 40D backup body.

My photos (many anyway) an be found on www.flickr.com/NetDep with albums on various interests. My most exciting subject has been the Polar Bears of Churchill and Wolves of Yellowstone in Winter but without doubt the eagles, especially fighting over salmon, has been the most exciting to see in person.

Some amazing images here and glad I stumbled over this thread!!!

Happy snapping!!!!

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

In St. George, UT for vacation and headed up to Brian Head to watch some of the skiers and get familiar with the area. We are thinking of maybe retiring to this area in a couple of years and this is our second visit. We were in Zion today and every day we are here we fall in love more and more with the area, activities and people!

Here is one from Brian Head.....working on the ones from Zion....

.IMG_4961.JPG

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
I started out with a Yashika 200F 35mm film SLR. Then I moved up to a Canon EOS D30 and I currently use a EOS 60D which provides everything I really need. I still shoot some 35mm film every now and then as there are some things you can do with film that digital cameras just can't provide. Sorta depends on what the final product is supposed to be.

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I love taking photographs, it's just a fun thing to do when you're out exploring! I am very very amateur and pretty much only use digital tools these days though I did go to school in part for film photography. So many great pics in this thread. Gotta figure out that night photography stuff ugh…so cool!

I took some of these with a Sony NEX-5 and some with an NEX-7 (Which can now be found somewhere at the bottom of Scahfer Trail hopefully with Zeiss Touit lens attached. I accidentally launched it out of my hand over the edge as I was slipping on a rock and could never find it :/)

Ordering a Sony A7 rII as soon as I can afford it. My wife is Nikon/Canon lady so I like to make sure she can't use my stuff LOL.

A few from Yellowstone, Moab, Zion, Canyonlands and the Grand Tetons...

And a few random older pics with people and other stuff in them just for fun...

This is just a regular photo I snapped a couple years ago of a mural my brother and I painted of famous Samurai, Miyamoto Musashi in spray paint in Hawai'i…more in tune with what I actually spend my time doing when not exploring. :)