Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
So I have a Garmin Inreach Explorer+ inbound. My question is can this be use with out a service plan for GPS location info only? In other words, will this track my location without having to buy the service plans?

Out of all my online research I have yet to find anything that stated that this would function as a plain old GPS without the Iridium system and it's plans.

When I start going away from pavement for more than two nights on a trip, then I will get the rest of the bells and whistles.
Not if it does. How would you test it. Turn off GPS on your phone/iPad and connect Bluetooth to Inreach?

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Not if it does. How would you test it. Turn off GPS on your phone/iPad and connect Bluetooth to Inreach?
Well I have since found out that the GPS will still function as normal. Only the Iridium two way texting and SOS will not function when you suspend the Iridium account portion.

I had the Iridium active for the Henness Pass and Malakauf Diggins overnighter. I have suspended service for next month (Sept 2019) and the system informed me what would stop working once the suspension takes effect in September. So I a happy with this. If I end up going out in Sept, then I will re-activate the services.

But yeah, the GPS portion will function normally during the suspension of service.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Well I have since found out that the GPS will still function as normal. Only the Iridium two way texting and SOS will not function when you suspend the Iridium account portion.

I had the Iridium active for the Henness Pass and Malakauf Diggins overnighter. I have suspended service for next month (Sept 2019) and the system informed me what would stop working once the suspension takes effect in September. So I a happy with this. If I end up going out in Sept, then I will re-activate the services.

But yeah, the GPS portion will function normally during the suspension of service.
Awesome good to know. I will suspending mine after my trip in Sept.

The Gobbler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Conifer, CO, USA
First Name
Noah
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PGH
I did not see this information here (excuse me if someone mentioned it), but another consideration beyond the cost is the number of satellites Spot and InReach uses. Spot utilizes the Globalstar network which I believe only has 22 satellites (that is what I seen in the past, but can't seem to find info online now). InReach utilizes the Iridium network which has 66 satellites. If you really want to count on the device in an emergency, the number of satellites matters. If you happen to be down in a canyon, you may not get enough satellites with Spot.

Just something to consider.

Reactions: M Rose

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Mine was on April 3. I'm from Michigan. Dad lives in Apache Junction right where it turns from highway into divided. My sister lives in Mesa out by the old GM Test Track.

We went up Peralta to Lone Tree and then decided to come down Cave Trail which was the down fall. Wasn't bad until you are basically sliding down rock faces. I didn't realize it was Cave Trail when we decided to go back down that way. I read so many trail descriptions and just dropped the ball on that one. So we started back up and I was stopping every 10 feet or so of climb and catching my breath for several minutes. Last place we stopped I didn't move for 2 hour and it took me probably 20 mins to stop breathing heavy. Thought I was going to pass out, couldn't eat anything. Some of it was anxiety of having to go back up. Lot was dehydration and too much hiking over the past few days. I don't remember my blood pressure when the first person in go to me but she said.......nope you are not hiking back up. Then they made the call to get the second helicopter outta Tucson.

My daughter's video of me climbing in. Video 1

My daughter's flight down. First helicopter (old Huey) was up at the top just down from Lone Tree area. I don't remember any of the flight other than getting in and landing. Video 2

Sorry to hijack the tread........I only wanted to add my experience when someone asked about cost.
Ive been in that chopper before. The DPS helicopter flew into the Arizona Burn Center at Maricopa Medical Center many times a month. I miss that job and I miss certain components to living in Az.

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

I did not see this information here (excuse me if someone mentioned it), but another consideration beyond the cost is the number of satellites Spot and InReach uses. Spot utilizes the Globalstar network which I believe only has 22 satellites (that is what I seen in the past, but can't seem to find info online now). InReach utilizes the Iridium network which has 66 satellites. If you really want to count on the device in an emergency, the number of satellites matters. If you happen to be down in a canyon, you may not get enough satellites with Spot.

Just something to consider.
I've been using a SpotX now for about a year and I haven't found this to be a problem in real-life application (touch-wood) all over Southern Africa in various conditions. I know it's a problem if you want to cross oceans and there are some reduced coverage areas i.e. 20 min periods (like central Africa).