Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I always tell at least 2 different people where I am going, when I am leaving, expected return time, secondary return time, local SAR contact information to the destinations and along my rout. I also try to give them gps locations to primary and secondary camp spots, places I think I might have difficulties traveling through, a description of the clothing my family and I will be wearing, and a picture of all of us in front of our rig all loaded up. (This is for my weekend trips) when just a day trip omit camp spots, and insert trail or destination. Alsovery rarely that I travel as a lone wolf. Usually I have one other family going with us

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

It really depends on 2 things - the vehicle and the terrain. What if your stock vehicle is a Jeep Rubicon, Ram Power Wagon? Those are highly capable vehicles. What if you drive a Chrysler minivan, Fiat 500? Those are both enjoyable vehicles that are way different. What if your idea of overlanding/camping is going to a resort in Vail, CO? What if you like to go to the Mojave Desert for a week at a time?
See it really is up to you and what you like to do with your time. Having a fully capable off road vehicle makes the trip easier and takes you further than you ever imagined possible. Having a stock vehicle is the canvas to your adventure - paint it how you like and enjoy what you have. Unless your name is Jones and then we all know how that will turn out.
but if you know how to drive,

I followed a Ford Tempo over a power line pass a few years ago.
He had zero trouble even with an oil pan 3" off the rocks.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Dang.

Where do they hide the patches? Behind the counter?

I should have picked up a Motel 6 and a Comfort Inn last trip.

I suppose the elite with their Land Rovers stay at Hiltons and Marriotts.

:smirk:
Woe, I'm a LRD2 guy and I don't stay in motels u-all ! I cant speak for the other elite in Rubicon's and Toy's !

• Haha
Reactions: grubworm and M Rose

agent00111

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lau
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VWP
I’d rather you just get out there with stock, versus spending money (and time) on upgrades. I think my funnest year with my jeep Rubicon was the first year when it was stock. Sure, I got stuck a couple of times, but I really appreciate what a stock rubicon can do. Upgrades can come in time. My favorite memories have to do what where I went and the people I went with, versus what my upgrades did for me!

Over time you’ll figure out what’s important to you, and your vehicle will progress as you progress in your adventures.

Overlanding more specifically has different priorities: ease of setup at night, amount of water you can bring with you, extra gas cans, night lights, kitchen setup, etc.

Hindsight being 20/20, over the past years I’ve had some upgrades that were nice, but not really contributing to the overlanding experience. If the upgrade is getting you out on the trail more, then it’s done its job.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Upgrades can come in time
Having been there done that with a TJR all the way to 35s and a HighLine plus a lift.....
I've learned none of it was an upgrade, with every mod something stock got stressed and needed another mod.
And with every mod I lost ride quality, fuel mileage, braking performance, reliability.
Jeep Engineers have an exponentially bigger research and development budget than any aftermarket supplier.... well AEV is well connected but only if you do the entire AEV package.... altho you still lose range and braking performance.
Pure stock... where I now am is best. Especially with a Rubicon.

They really aren't upgrades.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Having been there done that with a TJR all the way to 35s and a HighLine plus a lift.....
I've learned none of it was an upgrade, with every mod something stock got stressed and needed another mod.
And with every mod I lost ride quality, fuel mileage, braking performance, reliability.
Jeep Engineers have an exponentially bigger research and development budget than any aftermarket supplier.... well AEV is well connected but only if you do the entire AEV package.... altho you still lose range and braking performance.
Pure stock... where I now am is best. Especially with a Rubicon.

They really aren't upgrades.
LOL, hey Billybob, did you ever think it may just be the Jeeps problems with the mods. Jeep is capable of making crap too and from what I read in these forums they break a lot and is why many owners mod them. I think your advise is perfect for jeep owners, I wouldn't be so quick to accept your advise for other makes of vehicles, though it may be true for more than one brand of vehicle. I'm being a devils advocate here my learned friend. Anything can be made better than factor original, they have a budget that effects their build possibilities. I know a lot of people mod just for looks and the rig never see's more than a shopping center car show but those are not the rigs we talk about here. I appreaciate your knowledge and opinions here. You have more than me, me thinks ! :- )

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Anything can be made better than factor original, they have a budget that effects their build possibilities.
that is so true! EVERYTHING needs to be modified now. even buying furniture...i see where they use staples a lot now for speed and cheaper production costs so even stuff like furniture needs some gussets to keep the cheap frame from racking so the drawers slide true. there is so much i buy where it is so obvious that corners were cut on purpose to make more money, vehicles are no exception. people have just learned to accept mediocre crap now days and for the most part, crap workmanship and materials will work ok for light duty, but to use anything with any kind of demand on it and it will fail. i bought a new hot water heater last month and saw where home depot had hot water heaters with 6, 9 and 12 year warranties. now how can a manufacture know that one hot water heater will outlast the other? because they engineer it to fail so you will buy another one really soon! same as vehicles. a short life is engineered into everything for profit

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
that is so true! EVERYTHING needs to be modified now. even buying furniture...i see where they use staples a lot now for speed and cheaper production costs so even stuff like furniture needs some gussets to keep the cheap frame from racking so the drawers slide true. there is so much i buy where it is so obvious that corners were cut on purpose to make more money, vehicles are no exception. people have just learned to accept mediocre crap now days and for the most part, crap workmanship and materials will work ok for light duty, but to use anything with any kind of demand on it and it will fail. i bought a new hot water heater last month and saw where home depot had hot water heaters with 6, 9 and 12 year warranties. now how can a manufacture know that one hot water heater will outlast the other? because they engineer it to fail so you will buy another one really soon! same as vehicles. a short life is engineered into everything for profit
Grub, this has been very gradual effort by all manufactured items to be "design obsolescent" since the 50's, It's not been quickly. The older you are the more you can see it. When I liquidated my grandmothers estate in 1981 she had furniture that was as old as she was (92) . All of her furniture was considered affordable when she bought it. All of it was like new after the many years she owned it and even with all the child wear it was better than anything I owned.

Take cars, they may not have had the modern engineering but for their day they were built to last, engines lasted about 80-100k miles. If I had my way I would own a 1934 Ford coupe or 2 door. I would want a modern engine because they are built better, I would want modern brakes for the safety, preferably disk type but I could live with drum because I did for years. Other than that I would be fine with it as long as the rest of it was built mostly with 1934 technology, AM radio, rubber floor mats, cloth interior, 85 horsepower was plenty, tires were real rubber but modern compounds are okay. My gold would be for autos be affordable for everyone, because with the deflated dollar it doesn't compare to the inflated cost of today. Look at the price of home today and how they are built. Increased government involvement in the housing industry has caused the inflated prices yet the houses are S - - - built compared to a house built in the 40's or older. My grandmothers house was built in 1905 at a cost of $1500, She bought it in 1940 for $1200. That same house today sells for $100k in run down condition. Fixed it would bring $150k . Even my kids do not know the value of a dollar, spend like they are millionaires, and probably die paupers. I also have over 45 year old kids that have never owned a house or ever will because they cant make enough money to buy a house at todays prices. My grandson works for Halliburton and makes $200K a year and can hardly make from pay day to pay day living in Denver Co. where the cheapest house is $250K for junk. Everyone is living for today not for tomorrow. Yeah I'm a YTK kinda guy, it hasn't happened yet but it will get here before too much longer. We live in an impossible to survive world as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: grubworm and Anak

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
You are spot on about the quality of houses. The newer they are the less I want to do with them. Quality really went down the drain in the '80s and has been dropping ever since. And hardly anybody cares.

I would much rather own a house from the '50s than one built in the last 40 years.

Pride in workmanship is a lost value.

Reactions: grubworm

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
You are spot on about the quality of houses. The newer they are the less I want to do with them. Quality really went down the drain in the '80s and has been dropping ever since. And hardly anybody cares.
I would much rather own a house from the '50s than one built in the last 40 years. Pride in workmanship is a lost value.
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I am a building designer, have been all of my adult life. Yes, the quality of construction degrade in most states in the mid 70's and mostly because FHA was

the financier. In the mid 70's the government had controlled the quality of construction since the mid forties when the housing program started for

homecoming WW2 vets. When I first started designing homes I realized that unless I designed homes around the government standards the builders could

not get decent appraisals from FHA. Builders profits were based on good FHA appraisal. At that time we had excellent building codes established long

before government became involved. An example being the electrical wiring in a home. By the mid 30's building codes required the wiring to be incased in

conduit for extreme safety. That was good. That lasted until the mid 70's when building codes allowed Romex to be used which wasn't a lot different than

what was used in the early 1900's, the difference being the outside skin of the cable and of course how it was insulated for safety. At the same time

electricians took advantage of the change to raise their cost even though the product was cheaper to buy and easier to install than conduit. That is when we

lost the ability to alter the wiring in a house, Romex is in the wall and cannot be rewired with out tearing the wall apart. Cost rose quality sank. Then about

the same time all the plumbing codes changed (hot and cold water supply lines) from copper below a slab and in the interior of the house. Suddenly PVC

became the interior plumbing material, much less expensive, much less labor but again the plumbers took advantage of the change and the prices went up.

Below the ground we had clay tile for sewage pipe that was expensive and difficult to install because of lead filled joints. The rules changed and in went the

less costly PVC with glued joints and idiots could install it. The cost went down for the plumbing companies and the price doubled in cost. One interesting

fact I will point out. Under the old FHA-VA financing programs a builder could use superior construction techniques and material but the government would

not allow a better appraisal value. All values were based on a product that would last a minimum of 30 years and the government construction manuals were

named "MINIMUMAL PROPERTY STANDARDS".. I wont go in to all the other drastic changes made to the construction industry other than windows. The

government mandated a certain kind of energy efficiency, the cost of windows skyrocketed from a simple window costing $30 to the same window today

costing hundreds of dollars and people were denied the right of selection. Manufactures wont even make what I call an affordable window because the

building codes wont allow their use. In other words we have lost all of our choices in what something cost by having government intervention in everything.

Quality has not been a word used in the housing industry since the 70's. One government housing inspector told me we don't care about standards of quality

any more including the requirements in design. We will finance anything as long as the builder has a financially qualified buyer, and the buyer beware will be

in effect. Supposedly all housing is built to last 30 years and that's it. What if the Romans had built their houses that way and they didn't have government

control at all ? Yes we are a very wasteful and uninformed nation by design just like the design obsolescence of our automobiles the powers that be want us

to spend our wealth on trash.

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm and Anak

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Yep.

The funny thing is you would think with all this concern about "sustainability" there would be outrage over this. Yet not a peep. Everybody seems happy as a clam to have to replace everything on a regular basis. Just a bunch of 2 year olds happy to get something new and shiny. No concern for the future whatsoever. All they do is pretend to be concerned. Actions vs. words.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

no
from what I read in these forums they break a lot and is why many owners mod them
I think they break during the mods process but that said, some guys can break anything, ask me, I used to be one.
The challenge is getting out there and exploring rather than bolting on parts.
Learning to work with what you got.

There was a day when this was enough.... I think all the rest is just successful marketing.

fulton-equipment.jpg

But that said, we are watching Mad Men and we just watched a partner run a hose from the exhaust into the window, turn the Jaguar XKE key ... and British electrics saved his life.... you cant believe everything you see.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
no

I think they break during the mods process but that said, some guys can break anything, ask me, I used to be one.
The challenge is getting out there and exploring rather than bolting on parts.
Learning to work with what you got.

There was a day when this was enough.... I think all the rest is just successful marketing.

View attachment 129959

But that said, we are watching Mad Men and we just watched a partner run a hose from the exhaust into the window, turn the Jaguar XKE ... and British electrics saved his life.... you cant believe everything you see.
I totally agree with what you say here. It's Always easy to overload the designed efficiency of any product. In construction we are always talking about the span of a floor or ceiling joist. If an engineer says it will only span 10' lets say, you may go 10% over that fairly safely , but that is the safety factor the engineer designed into his calculations. Anything beyond that and failure is almost guaranteed. So, never exceed the design limitations I say loudly.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I always tell at least 2 different people where I am going, when I am leaving, expected return time, secondary return time, local SAR contact information to the destinations and along my rout. I also try to give them gps locations to primary and secondary camp spots, places I think I might have difficulties traveling through, a description of the clothing my family and I will be wearing, and a picture of all of us in front of our rig all loaded up. (This is for my weekend trips) when just a day trip omit camp spots, and insert trail or destination. Also very rarely that I travel as a lone wolf. Usually I have one other family going with us.
Are you close to Coos Bay Or. ?