Enthusiast I

Mississippi, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Martin
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4MDZ
How about some discussion, or a YouTube, about overlanding in a stock 4X4? Seems most info is about mod rigs as if to say one can't go overlanding to adventure in a stock vehicle. It seems that the manufacturers of 4X4's wouldn't agree given that they have invested no small amount of effort in R&D and they outfit with suspensions, drives, AT tires (etc) and market specifically claiming that capability. What are the realities of overlanding in a stock 4X4? What are the capabilities and restrictions associated with "stock"? Why do you say that larger tires and lifts are "required"? Does adventure require investments into a modified rig? I'm an old sailor and we had the expression that "paradise looks the same regardless of the size of the cockpit".

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

To be honest, put proper tires on most 4wd vehicles and it will get you there. The rest is great and all, but, this reminds me of the last time I camped "way back" in the woods. Talked up this out and away spot to my wife, got all back in there, we round the last curve..... Honda Oddesy Minivan was parked there, family already camping….

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I’ve found the closer I keep most of my 4x4 vehicles to stock the better they do on road, en route to the “off road”. Sure I’ll modify the electrics to suit and cargo storage areas, but I try to leave drivelines and suspensions stock with quality all terrain tires.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

They are a good off road tire. The rubber is more of a road compound then a of road compound. they should be fine for what you are talking about. i don't run them but they seem ok by most that do. I would take care airing down with them.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Which "stock" 4x4?

There is a substantial difference between a stock Jeep JK Rubicon and a stock Jeep Patriot 4x4. The stock Rubicon is going to go plenty of places the Patriot has no business even thinking of going.

The question is pretty broad, with lots of variables.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
How about some discussion, or a YouTube, about overlanding in a stock 4X4? Seems most info is about mod rigs as if to say one can't go overlanding to adventure in a stock vehicle. It seems that the manufacturers of 4X4's wouldn't agree given that they have invested no small amount of effort in R&D and they outfit with suspensions, drives, AT tires (etc) and market specifically claiming that capability. What are the realities of overlanding in a stock 4X4? What are the capabilities and restrictions associated with "stock"? Why do you say that larger tires and lifts are "required"? Does adventure require investments into a modified rig? I'm an old sailor and we had the expression that "paradise looks the same regardless of the size of the cockpit".
If your wheeling way out back and by yourself, that's when you need the extra insurance. The other time is when your old like me and cant dig your way out when you make a stupid mistake !

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
There are plenty of folks on here that claim they can do it all in 2wd passenger vehicles aka cars so yeah you can in a stock 4x4.
that'll be me :-)
2WD and it gets me out and about.
it's all about the tyres.

IMG_4422.JPG

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
All you need is a good set of tires, 4WD and a desire to adventure. With those, maybe not the 4WD so much, you’re set. May not be able to get into some gnarly areas, but you can still get out and enjoy yourself. I run a stock Wrangler and I haven’t had many issues getting out to places I want to see.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It depends.

Who, what, where, when. Be more specific. I'm in a Fullsize for towing/hauling capability and safety. Stock worktruck Super Duties and Dodge 2500's go into nasty areas all the time. Our GM variants generally sit too low and lack lockers.

Personally, I absolutely need minimum of 35" Mud Terrains, rear locker, 4x4, strong axles, decent capacities, and a crew cab. All of that is possible on a box stock F250.

Might I add a 4'' BDS lift, 4.88 gears, and a front locker? Maybe, but it's not exactly needed. That would be luxury.

RamblingRanger

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Virginia
First Name
David
Last Name
T
Member #

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
None of that is the overlanding that I do. I have horses (the original jeeps) and dirtbikes for places like Utah's tight trails. You can't put a FWC Granby on a LC80. Or go 85mph down the Key West hwy in a rainstorm in one.

It comes back to what, where, when. Hardpack sand and slick rock, is not wet roots and soft mud. A Jeep and a tent is not comparable to a fullsize with ac and an indoor shower.

Retired people with free time to go just 60mph on slab, aren't the same as campers with just one week at a time.

Last edited:

Old Recon Marine

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mississippi, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Martin
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4MDZ
I appreciate all the feedback and comments. Confirms most of my conclusions actually. I have a F150, stock, locking rear, with Hankook AT 33" tires (Same as originals), pulling a Boreas XT trailer. Not looking for gnarly challenges. Mud is the big barrier here in the SE so I think my only mod will be adding a winch to my recovery gear. But I am planning an extended trip west in the spring so wanted some different perspectives. My next set of tires will probably be hybrids, same size, a bit more aggressive with better sidewalls. I tend to overland alone so self recovery is an issue but hope to connect with some kindred souls over time. Thanks again for all the discussion.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Do what you want. Take from those mod threads and videos what you want and apply it to your vehicle as you see fit. My mostly stock XJ works fine for me. Has an "upcountry" clone lift that was a factory option on XJs but still rides on easy to find and cheap 23575R15 tires. A little bit of armor and a front lunchbox locker and it takes me everywhere I want to go. The money I save on huge tires and big dollar mods and gizmos and gadgets means more fuel in my tank.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
My general opinion is to just get out there and see if you need any mods to go where you want to. Perfect example of this, I used to own a modded 86 Toyota p/u. It was bobbed, locked, lifted you know the whole thing. While I liked it, it was all un needed for me. My stock 2005 Ford Escape on decent A/T tires goes to all the same places, but does so with more comfort, and better fuel millage when weighed down. So all the internets can tell you all the things, but untill YOU go where YOU want to and see the short comings in your rig I would say dont mod. You will honestly be surprised what a stock rig can do with some careful driving.