Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yes I do know for a fact that RC doesn’t officially participate in the SCORE Baja 1000 event, nor any other off-road type race.

Personally I have never used a bolt on lift kit. I have always (until recently) had my own means of making my own suspension systems. And even now with my TTB Bronco I would be better off trying to find the right tools to build my own suspension because none of the systems offered are 100% Pros with out some severe compromises. but I feel leave it stock. Ford thought the TTB through and it was raced for 2 decades in the Baja Races without a change other than shocks.
I wasn't talking about the suspension on your rig. I was talking about your drive train up grades you were telling me about.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I wasn't talking about the suspension on your rig. I was talking about your drive train up grades you were telling me about.
I know you were referring to my 5 Speed swap and twin sticked np205/203 doubled t case (Not a mod I suggest doing with out a lot of research and a complete understanding that other things are going to fail once this mod is done). That’s why I put a separator between your post on rc suspensions and why I’m not going to put a lift on my Bronco.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I know you were referring to my 5 Speed swap and twin sticked np205/203 doubled t case (Not a mod I suggest doing with out a lot of research and a complete understanding that other things are going to fail once this mod is done). That’s why I put a separator between your post on rc suspensions and why I’m not going to put a lift on my Bronco.
I liked my 67 Bronco suspension with solid axle and coil spring in front. That's why I bought the LRD2. It has the same set up.

I helped to build a modified dirt track car for a friend who wanted to use the TTB half ton ford truck suspension (swing axle) on his racer. We never were able to get it to work as well as a straight axle and ended up pulling it out at mid season and going back to a straight axle with torsion bar set up from a junk yard chrysler. For racing that was the easiest to set up for different tracks from anything I had ever built before.

I don't think I would try to alter the TTB diff axle other than maybe hd coils and free up the sway bars for better articulation if that would help. If I had your Bronco and wanted a swap I'd just go to the 3/4 or one ton pick up version and let it go at that. I had a 80 Ford short narrow bed 4x4 that broke the right front axle three times in 4 years doing sand hill climbing. I never could figure out what was breaking the axles and finally sold it. (I did have 35" tires on it that probably got an awful good grip on those 1/2 ton axles) I should have gone to the after market for a stronger axle but it never occurred to me that they even made one. That's how things were in the 70's-80's before the off road after market broke into the rock crawling thing and started making stronger parts for the OEM replacements.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I liked my 67 Bronco suspension with solid axle and coil spring in front. That's why I bought the LRD2. It has the same set up.

I helped to build a modified dirt track car for a friend who wanted to use the TTB half ton ford truck suspension (swing axle) on his racer. We never were able to get it to work as well as a straight axle and ended up pulling it out at mid season and going back to a straight axle with torsion bar set up from a junk yard chrysler. For racing that was the easiest to set up for different tracks from anything I had ever built before.

I don't think I would try to alter the TTB diff axle other than maybe hd coils and free up the sway bars for better articulation if that would help. If I had your Bronco and wanted a swap I'd just go to the 3/4 or one ton pick up version and let it go at that. I had a 80 Ford short narrow bed 4x4 that broke the right front axle three times in 4 years doing sand hill climbing. I never could figure out what was breaking the axles and finally sold it. (I did have 35" tires on it that probably got an awful good grip on those 1/2 ton axles) I should have gone to the after market for a stronger axle but it never occurred to me that they even made one. That's how things were in the 70's-80's before the off road after market broke into the rock crawling thing and started making stronger parts for the OEM replacements.
Your suggestions for the TTB are spot on. And if I were to do anything that would be exactly what I do... I have been looking into a hybrid 44/50 axle... but not sure.... as I have been researching it, it looks kind of complicated for my mobile shop setup. The only reason I want to do it is to gain the factory lockers offered in the early 2000’s and get a matching 10.25 rear with lockers... grrr Jim, now you got me thinking again...
In reality, I am talking it over with Kallie, and we are probably going to be selling my Bronco. Her 4Runner does everything the Bronco can do, just more comfortably.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Your suggestions for the TTB are spot on. And if I were to do anything that would be exactly what I do... I have been looking into a hybrid 44/50 axle... but not sure.... as I have been researching it, it looks kind of complicated for my mobile shop setup. The only reason I want to do it is to gain the factory lockers offered in the early 2000’s and get a matching 10.25 rear with lockers... grrr Jim, now you got me thinking again...
In reality, I am talking it over with Kallie, and we are probably going to be selling my Bronco. Her 4Runner does everything the Bronco can do, just more comfortably.
Ha ha, Besides, it's a lot of hard work for one man. I always had to do everything by myself unless I was working on someone else's car.
Seems they were never there for me though when I needed them.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ha ha, Besides, it's a lot of hard work for one man. I always had to do everything by myself unless I was working on someone else's car.
Seems they were never there for me though when I needed them.
That seams to be my life story. Don’t get me wrong I love the Bronco, and I hate to let her go before I really got it dialed in, but reality is.. the 4.7 Toyota is a better engine, and the Toyota does everything I have thrown at it so far.., and I have been putting it through the paces.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Apparently we all need segregation who woulda thunk it. Just like the 2wd section now were gonna need a stock wheeling, mid lift and full lift sections Also a ifs and solid axle section. There are too many differences between us.

All the angry is part virus part election im sure.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Apparently we all need segregation who woulda thunk it. Just like the 2wd section now were gonna need a stock wheeling, mid lift and full lift sections Also a ifs and solid axle section. There are too many differences between us.

All the angry is part virus part election im sure.
Its a post asking for peoples opinions on capability. There will always be arguments between peoples opinions because people think differently.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Its a post asking for peoples opinions on capability. There will always be arguments between peoples opinions because people think differently.
Problem is you cant even post something youve just done to your rig, no asking qustions just posting what you did. Youll still have someone argue about what you did or that their rigs better somehow. Its tiring went through same thing with scca, rallyx, nhra, and tuner scene its more understandable to shit talk when racing but here we arent competing for anything.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Problem is you cant even post something youve just done to your rig, no asking qustions just posting what you did. Youll still have someone argue about what you did or that their rigs better somehow. Its tiring went through same thing with scca, rallyx, nhra, and tuner scene its more understandable to shit talk when racing but here we arent competing for anything.
Yep. It's the whole reason that I tend to go out into the woods alone with my rig and not post a whole lot. Someone will want to tell me what's best for me.

Reactions: TexasGMG and M Rose

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Yep. It's the whole reason that I tend to go out into the woods alone with my rig and not post a whole lot. Someone will want to tell me what's best for me.
Im nearly there getting kind of tired of it all. i like the offroading aspect more than the camping aspect. To me Camping is just the means to do more offroading the next day or to recoupe before driving long distance back home after wheeling. Sleeping in a tent or in the truck isnt exactly the fun part.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I prefer to call it debating. Yes, it is exactly what the OP has asked for, opinions, and we all have them, each have their own merits.
You can take them or leave them, the first amendment to the constitution is well and thriving in OB Forums. Not a one of us would leave a fellow camper, traveler, rock crawler, or anyone else in distress out in the boonies or on the open road. We may gripe but we are one. Just my opinion. :-)

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Im nearly there getting kind of tired of it all. i like the offroading aspect more than the camping aspect. To me Camping is just the means to do more offroading the next day or to recoupe before driving long distance back home after wheeling. Sleeping in a tent or in the truck isnt exactly the fun part.
My original plan for my Jeep was to build it up to get to camp sites in the woods. Then the build went more rock crawler with big lift, axles, tires, etc. but now I have a kid and I am working on making it more streetable and comfortable for the wife and I to take it out camping again LOL.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I haven't experienced what you say here but that dosent mean you haven't. I've had some flack at times when I failed to make myself understood. Usually a little more conversation is required to get things corrected.

There is a lot of brand bias but that is the other guys experience and he owns his opinion. I don't see anything wrong with someone's comment on my postings, isn't that what we are supposed to do ?

I've seen the shit talk occasionally and I agree there is no place for that. I just figure someone stole their bubble gum and let it go, it's not worth the effort needed to clarify a disagreement.

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I’m still confused on why there’s always the assumption you need a ton of lift to step up in tire size , it’s a off-road rig most every vehicle just need a little trimming to get more tire to fit that way you can keep your near stock suspension geometry.

But I must say I have been away from this discussion for a while and wow how did something as simple as can you take a stock 4 x 4 out turn into this train wreck. There is way to many internet “experts” on here lately . AAD2FCB3-6F0F-4A03-B646-338B1592D978.gif

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Honestly most everybody is overthinking this thing before it was called Overlanding it was just called car camping. Toss some sleeping gear in there bring a little bit of food and go drive down some gravel roads and enjoy your day.
^^^
This.

Did I already say it? That my brother, father and I went logging practically every weekend in the Adirondacks in the late 70's early 80's. And we drove his stock, 2WD, 1978 forest green metallic Ford truck. F150? F100? Full size Ranger I want to say but I'm not sure. Anyway...Never got stuck. Not once. Having said that, I always liked my father's friend's trucks more because they were 4wd and I liked the look and they could go wherewe went, but they got there much easier.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Well would you rather get into a gunfight with a .22lr or a ar10 .308 because thats basically the same question, will a 22lr kill? yes with good shot placement and enough ammo, will .308 kill better?yes with alot less ammo. That is pretty much the difference between a stock 4x4 and a fully modified 4x4. Will a stock 4x4 be able to offroad? Yes with the right line and plenty of patience but a fully modified one will do it better with alot less trouble.
This is funny but kinda true. If you watch a lot of TV and movies, and that's how you want to shoot, you will be emptying your AK47 into all the cars, walls and industrial equipment while everyone is hiding behind them. Me? If there's only 2 guns allowed in thatfight, and my choices are that I get to spray indiscriminately with the AK or think a moment and take a good shot with the 22LR, I'll take that 22LR and land one through an ear while the guy with the AK reloads. Or bird dog him.

Translating that back to 4x4...I ride in 2wd at almost all times. I really only ever "shift" (it's a knob now, unfortunately) into 4wd when I know there will be ice on the roads, or other slippery, tricky conditions. Then I shift out.

If i take the lower bumper chin strap off this truck, i bet i can get most of where i want to go with it in 2wd and the highway Geolandars currently on it. Add the stock 4x4, my G80 Eaton auto blocker rear (stock) and i bet i get 80 to 90% where i want to go, or even more