Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

@PonoAdventures how do you like the gunner? Would you feel different if you had a vented canopy? Excluding super hot / cold days
Love it. Great quality and good customer service. I like knowing if I get in an accident, my pup would be safe and wouldn't fly anywhere. If I had a canopy and I could keep it temperature controlled like my cab, I would keep it in the bed.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

My big dog goes everywhere with me and my rig (Subaru Outback) is smaller than a majority of other vehicles out there. Here she is looking all judgmental because I got out of the car and left her in...
87340778_10100724971374127_8829986627775365120_n.jpg
Berkley is an eight year old 95 lbs doberman (I refused to clip her ears). I have this seat cover which is excellent. It has two straps that wrap around the back headrests to keep it in place vertically, then two seat anchors that keep it tight horizontally, and then two elastic bands that keep it in place on the front edge of the seat. The underside of it is rubberized as well so it doesn't slip around. The top of it is quilted and it gives her plenty of traction so she doesn't go sliding around when the road gets rough. It is pretty durable stuff so it keeps her from scratching the leather seats and it also is waterproof and very easy to clean up. Berkley is good about sprawling out with her back against the seat when the car starts really rocking which is great because my last K9 co-pilot was thrown into the floorboards on more than one occasion. She usually stays in the backseat because she is so big, tall, and long that there is no way she could fit in the front seat without curling into a ball, but just in case I have a MOLLE backseat barrier. It keeps her back there and also makes some pretty convenient storage for maps, holding radio handsets, or whatever you need.

The most important thing to do with a dog that you want to take overlanding with you is make sure you have your pup WELL TRAINED!!!!! Make sure the dog is comfortable with the circumstance, being around new people, being around other animals and doesn't explore too far from your side. It makes it a lot less stressful for you and the pup when you don't have to worry about dog aggression, it getting in the way of other rigs, or just plain wandering off. It makes it a lot less messy when you don't have to worry about the leash or isolating the dog or any of the other stuff.
87602704_10100729885012157_3177314907481702400_o.jpg

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Hi Guys,

First thank you all for the information regarding to traveling with a large dog.

What do you all suggest once at camp to make sure dog is comfortable and safe?

coffenut

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Lida
Last Name
Verner
Member #

Hi all,

I have searched the forum for dog, pet, dog crate, and have not come up with anything that answers my question.

My plan is to get my son a Dog, hopefully a service dog, but either way I can’t seem to figure out the best way to overland with him. Making sure the dog travels safely is a big concern for me, however he will not be able to travel inside the cab with us (not enough room) in my future build.

I am leaning toward the large Gunner K9 kennel secured in the back of the truck bed as we are hoping to get German Shepherd. It is HUGE though:
  • EXTERIOR: 40.25" (L) x 28" (W) x 33.25" (H) / 34.5" (H) with carry handles.
In the Gladiator 5’ bed, it doesn’t take up a large portion of the bed up. The other issue it creates is room for other things like fridge, kitchen, etc. I am open to the idea of a cab height bed rack or a canopy. I plan on putting a RTT on top for us (2 adults 2 kids).

I am new to the overlanding side of things, so I figured I was ask everyone on their thoughts, ideas, etc.

Thanks ahead of time.
IMO ... belted inside the the truck. They are family.
That being said, a friend has a Variocage kennel (MIM Variocage - Crash Tested and Approved Pet Cages ) inside her SUV and was recently in a bad accident. The two golden retrievers (it's a double kennel) came out physically just fine. SUV totaled. Unfortunately, both dogs now freak when they now go on car rides and have to be sedated. It's getting better but they still have PTSD.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

@coffenut based on the advice I received here from more experienced members, when we get my son his service dog, he will be with us in the cab.

But know I am thinking of anything specific I should think about once at camp.

Reactions: coffenut

Rich_the4x4podcast

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lawrence KS
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Young
Member #

I was curious how hot it got in the bed of my truck in the summer so I put an indoor/outdoor thermometer in it. Even covered with a topper (shell), it was 110 to 130 degrees, with the windows open. If I have to keep everything open to manage the heat, then there's no point in having a shell on it since I'm also letting the water and dust in. So the dog is in the cab.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

I was curious how hot it got in the bed of my truck in the summer so I put an indoor/outdoor thermometer in it. Even covered with a topper (shell), it was 110 to 130 degrees, with the windows open. If I have to keep everything open to manage the heat, then there's no point in having a shell on it since I'm also letting the water and dust in. So the dog is in the cab.
my research let me to the same conclusion if I were to get a cap. Without a cap, the same problem would exist plus so many more.
I have decided that when the whole family goes, somebody is sitting in the middle. The dog and kids can figure it out. When it’s my son and I, the dog can have the whole back seat.

coffenut

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Lida
Last Name
Verner
Member #

@coffenut based on the advice I received here from more experienced members, when we get my son his service dog, he will be with us in the cab.

But know I am thinking of anything specific I should think about once at camp.
You can certainly get X-pens (which can be heavy and bulky but can be put around the tent area (or wherever)).
You could also get a 50/100 foot lead and tiedown. However, if it's a properly trained service dog, it should stick around without too much worry. OTH, it will still be a dog <G>. Also checkout the virocages .... the site has a number of different safety solutions.
Good luck. I look forward to seeing any and all pics <G>

Reactions: Jrodrigues1278

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

@coffenut thanks I will check it out. Yes a properly trained dog should be by my son’s side always. My son has a sense of adventure and does not know danger.

I always have an eye on him, until he learns not to wander off out of pure excitement, the first few trips will be interesting to say the least especially until we get the service dog.
I will defiantly check your suggestions out.

Reactions: coffenut

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

My dogs get the back cargo space of my jeep, most amount of space for them, I pack stuff on the rear seats and roof rack.
My dogs would never get into a cage or would I force them.
They love the drive as much as I do. I wouldn't want to take that from them.

20200120_133520.jpg
20200113_122508.jpg
20170810_111152.jpg

If I couldn't bring my dog, I would get someone to babysit my dog(s). Or get a bigger boat.

Last edited:

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I appreciate all the responses and the perspectives; it’s why I asked to begin with. Ideally I would love him to go in the back seat with my kids, but I am just not sure he would fit. Again to be clear, I am looking to get my son a dog, we don’t have one yet.

Realistically 98% of the time he will be in the cab with my son. As my daughter is not always with us.

That’s is why I am asking about a kennel in the bed of the truck for that other 2%. How do you guys feel about the kennel if under a cap with open slide windows? With obvious breaks and walks etc

I know you made up your mind but I think you already had your answer with this comment. that 2% in the back would've been so unfair that I think guilt would've gotten the best of you.. Guilt OR your son..

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

I know you made up your mind but I think you already had your answer with this comment. that 2% in the back would've been so unfair that I think guilt would've gotten the best of you.. Guilt OR your son..
I think your right, no actually as I read it back, I know your right. It just took me a little longer to realize it.

Thanks everyone.

Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

For what its worth, both my Siberian/Collie rescue {55 lbs} and Pit/Boxer rescue {75 lbs} share the back seat in my Tundra.. I'm tearing it out and building them a bigger flat platform..My wife and I with them 2.. we have no kids.

At camp, I tie them to the D-rings on my front bumper or the Reese hitch on the rear. They sleep with us in the bed on top of the DECKED system.. Its about the same size as a queen bed.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

For what its worth, both my Siberian/Collie rescue {55 lbs} and Pit/Boxer rescue {75 lbs} share the back seat in my Tundra.. I'm tearing it out and building them a bigger flat platform..My wife and I with them 2.. we have no kids.

At camp, I tie them to the D-rings on my front bumper or the Reese hitch on the rear. They sleep with us in the bed on top of the DECKED system.. Its about the same size as a queen bed.
I unfortunately won’t be that lucky.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Not unfortunate or luck.. You just have to find out what'll work for you and your family.. Adapt and overcome.. We're all learning as we go..Nobody's set up is better than the next. Just different..We all have varying needs. You'll get there..