Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Hi all,

I have searched the forum for dog, pet, dog crate, and have not come up with anything that answers my question.

My plan is to get my son a Dog, hopefully a service dog, but either way I can’t seem to figure out the best way to overland with him. Making sure the dog travels safely is a big concern for me, however he will not be able to travel inside the cab with us (not enough room) in my future build.

I am leaning toward the large Gunner K9 kennel secured in the back of the truck bed as we are hoping to get German Shepherd. It is HUGE though:
  • EXTERIOR: 40.25" (L) x 28" (W) x 33.25" (H) / 34.5" (H) with carry handles.
In the Gladiator 5’ bed, it doesn’t take up a large portion of the bed up. The other issue it creates is room for other things like fridge, kitchen, etc. I am open to the idea of a cab height bed rack or a canopy. I plan on putting a RTT on top for us (2 adults 2 kids).

I am new to the overlanding side of things, so I figured I was ask everyone on their thoughts, ideas, etc.

Thanks ahead of time.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I'm just not a fan of truck bed kennels. Either they are working dogs and used to being outside or they are pets and not used to it. Factors include windchill factor, unexpected rain/snow/lightning, or high temps. I have a JKU just for this purpose. I have a Great Dane/Bull Mastiff named Maximus who weighs in at 172lbs. He is a beloved family pet and has about 75% of the entire back of the vehicle to himself when he and I travel. I have a roof rack for gear and next year (virus has changed our plans for this year) will have a trailer for my wife and all 3 dogs (70lbs and 18lbs plus Maximus). Good luck with whichever direction you go.IMG_3921.JPEG

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

I appreciate all the responses and the perspectives; it’s why I asked to begin with. Ideally I would love him to go in the back seat with my kids, but I am just not sure he would fit. Again to be clear, I am looking to get my son a dog, we don’t have one yet.

Realistically 98% of the time he will be in the cab with my son. As my daughter is not always with us.

That’s is why I am asking about a kennel in the bed of the truck for that other 2%. How do you guys feel about the kennel if under a cap with open slide windows? With obvious breaks and walks etc

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
SS kennel in the bed of a fullsize truck. Put it all the way forward so it isn't too windy. Setup correctly, most big dogs love it.

Gladiator? Leave the dog at home.

We love our horses. But just because they are family, doesn't mean the get to ruin the interior of my truck or cause a car accident. Get real.

Reactions: grubworm

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
Our grandson (lives with us) is on the spectrum, wasn't verbal until he was five. His best friend is "Daisy" our pitbull with Nala the husky/Shepard mix a REALLY close second. They're family.....before we brought them home we knew they would sleep on the bed, have a pillow in the front room and probably be as spoiled as any 3 year old. Daisy is his service dog. Helps him with meltdowns, is there to talk to and understands his body language. Does Not pull the leash and is just 90 lbs of love and affection. Nala is the goof that helps him stay "up", keeps him active and diverts him from electronics. "YOU WILL LOVE ME!!!!" should be on a T-shirt for her. Just like family they ride inside. We deal with the hair, wet dog odor and slobber because they are his friends. They sleep in the tent either next to him or on top if its a bad night. Fast food is all drive thru so we can parking lot picnic with the whole family (If they'll eat it, he'll try it.....it's great but can have it's own challenges....story for another time). At home - they bunk in his room either on the bed or next to it. He won't go to bed without his "fuzzies".

Family....four legged, furry and slobbery.....but family. His life would not be the same without them (and neither would ours). I can't imagine treating those two idiots like less.

Reactions: USStrongman

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Everyone thanks for your input on it, it’s why I asked to begin with.

@Sean's #1 Pop My son is autistic and it is the reason we are looking at getting him a service dog. He is 5 and nonverbal. The hope is for the dog to provide the same bond as you described. It is also the whole point of why I started this thread. Trying to figure it all out since my son was diagnosed this year.

I have done a lot of research on this and that is why I was looking at that particular kennel. Because of its safety features.

When the dog is in the vehicle with us, is there anything you all recommend for keeping him safe? I am not worried about the hair, the slobber, all that can be cleaned up.

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

My dog Ruff is a Belgium Shepard, I NEVER travel with out him. In my truck he was always half on my lap though there was plenty of room by the door. Now in my van with his stool to stand on next to me to see out the window he NEVER will sit down. 8 hrs on the road he is right there, never wanting to miss a thing, slobber and dripping and a towel cures that. At 61 I have somehow out lived my 4 other Germans and understand picking that breed for all there attributes. but reality is your dog WILL be in the cab at some point.

I would seriously keep a open mine about which bred, most dogs pick their "owner" anyways . Whether a Border Collie to a rescue I think there will be a dog that will know your son is his special person and partner for years to come. I could never crate a dog in the back of a truck, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. I just want my best friend next to me like I sat next to my dad.

It will all come about in time. Good Luck!

The1Oregongirl

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Grants Pass, OR
First Name
Linda
Last Name
Gay
Member #

I appreciate all the responses and the perspectives; it’s why I asked to begin with. Ideally I would love him to go in the back seat with my kids, but I am just not sure he would fit. Again to be clear, I am looking to get my son a dog, we don’t have one yet.

Realistically 98% of the time he will be in the cab with my son. As my daughter is not always with us.

That’s is why I am asking about a kennel in the bed of the truck for that other 2%. How do you guys feel about the kennel if under a cap with open slide windows? With obvious breaks and walks etc
I have a Doberman and she rides on the rig, but like you said for space, I have a trailer for a bed and fridge.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have a Bernese Mountain dog. She’s an 80 pound ball of love. I had taken part of my rear seat out for a trip and never put it back. After she came to live with us, I realized that space was perfect for a traveling bed for her. She loves the spot, and uses the footwell water tank for a pillow. 4FEF32A2-311F-4F09-8DE1-DBD210519E04.jpeg

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

I would seriously keep a open mine about which bred, most dogs pick their "owner" anyways . Whether a Border Collie to a rescue I think there will be a dog that will know your son is his special person and partner for years to come. I could never crate a dog in the back of a truck, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. I just want my best friend next to me like I sat next to my dad.

It will all come about in time. Good Luck!
We would like a GS for the size and safety he could provide, but ultimately we are going to work with a organization that specializes in this type of service dog and will go with what is best for my son. His need is more important then our want.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

@The1Oregongirl I see what you meant know, your dog is in the car with you and your overland stuff in your overland trailer. I thought you meant the dog was in the trailer which is why I seemed confused (not enough coffee yet this morning I guess lol)

Reactions: The1Oregongirl

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
Everyone thanks for your input on it, it’s why I asked to begin with.

@Sean's #1 Pop My son is autistic and it is the reason we are looking at getting him a service dog. He is 5 and nonverbal. The hope is for the dog to provide the same bond as you described. It is also the whole point of why I started this thread. Trying to figure it all out since my son was diagnosed this year.

I have done a lot of research on this and that is why I was looking at that particular kennel. Because of its safety features.

When the dog is in the vehicle with us, is there anything you all recommend for keeping him safe? I am not worried about the hair, the slobber, all that can be cleaned up.
There are various seat covers that can be used to protect the fabric and also create a cradle type seat for the pooch. We use a harness and leash that attaches to the baby chair connections above or behind the back seat for Daisy's safety when traveling. Commercially available at most of the Petco/Petsmart/Kahoots type stores. In the case of emergency keeps her from becoming a flying object, I don't need 90 lbs of pitbull on the back of my head!!

If you are successful and the new four legged kid bonds with the 2 legged, make yourself a sign for the car that advises first responders of the relationship shared by your son and his friend. I don't know if it's a nature thing but critters become VERY defensive of the kiddos, especially handicapped kiddos. They just know.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

There are various seat covers that can be used to protect the fabric and also create a cradle type seat for the pooch. We use a harness and leash that attaches to the baby chair connections above or behind the back seat for Daisy's safety when traveling. Commercially available at most of the Petco/Petsmart/Kahoots type stores. In the case of emergency keeps her from becoming a flying object, I don't need 90 lbs of pitbull on the back of my head!!

If you are successful and the new four legged kid bonds with the 2 legged, make yourself a sign for the car that advises first responders of the relationship shared by your son and his friend. I don't know if it's a nature thing but critters become VERY defensive of the kiddos, especially handicapped kiddos. They just know.
Thanks for the great advise. We currently have something on my son’s seat stating he is non verbal etc... so I know exactly what your talking about.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I love my Gunner Kennel and how safe it is for my dog, but I have an Intermediate and it fits in the cab of my F-150. Not sure about your roads, but our trails here are really dusty (I have a bed rack, no canopy). My opinion, for overlanding/off-roading, I would keep the dog in the cab. When I'm carrying extra people in the rig, I sacrifice the kennel and have the dog siting in the back with them because the bed gets way too dusty and don't want my dog exposed to that for a few hours.