• HTML tutorial

mark_themachinst_guy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Island, New York
Member #

Hey overlanders,

I live on Long Island, NY. Not a great place to be if you're into offroading and overlanding I've found. Sure there's Rousch Creek in PA, but that's a 5 hour drive from me. My 2010 FJ Trail Teams and I are itching to break the mall crawler status and seriously get the tires dirty. But I just don't know where to go.

I've been upstate NY, which is a beautiful region with a ton of woodlands and mountains. But I don't know if its technically legal to drive on some of the fire roads and trails up there. The last thing I want is to get fined, or worse, get my FJ impounded for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've also explored a little in New Hampshire and Vermont, two of my favorite states. I've heard there's a ton of beautiful trails up there too, but again, I simply just don't know where to go.

I'm looking for a place where I can explore around a bit in my mostly stock FJ (just added a snorkel, and the stickers, for now at least) I'd also like to set up camp for a night or two for some weekend trips, so primitive camping areas are a must. If any one here is from the north east/new england and knows of a few trails, could you help a lost overlander out? If you're local maybe we could even meet up or organize a trail run for the other new englanders around here.

Thanks guys!

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

I did the Mount Beacon (Beacon, NY) service road back in August, and while it's technically illegal, it's generally accepted by local authorities, the mayor, and hikers that off road vehicles have been climbing it since the 60s. I have never heard of anyone getting ticketed or having their vehicles confiscated. Just use your head when hikers approach (the route is the actual hiking path) and stop to let them pass, don't blast music, yada yada and you'll be fine.

Pretty technical rock crawling, and some puddles to slosh through. When you get to the top it opens up to a large viewing area with insane views of the Hudson River Valley. I was able to do it in my stock JKU with 32" MT's without airing down. PM me if you want some more information.

Reactions: mb1k and Seppy

mark_themachinst_guy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Island, New York
Member #

It's funny that you mention Mt. Beacon, because when I bought my FJ, the guy I bought it from took me offroad up the mountain as sort of a "test-drive" to show me what it was capable of. I've been looking into going back as it only about an hour or so from where I am, but the legality of driving there is what keeps me away. Maybe I'll have to take a day trip up there and see what's up. From where he took me, it was a random access point on the side of the road. I'll PM you when I have a free minute tonight.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hey Mark,

Every photo in this album (with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions) is taken on legal trails on public land in New York's Catskills and Schoharie Valley Regions:

www.imgur.com/a/SHSsW

There's A LOT more here to explore than I initially thought. How did I find these places? Lots of googling. Eventually I stumbled on what has been one of the most valuable resources in this regard generated by local hiker, outdoorsman, and amateur cartographer Andy Arthur:

http://andyarthur.org/state-truck-trails-and-forest-preserve-roads-over-a-half-mile.html

This list is a fucking godsend. Cross-referencing this and other info from his site with state DEC maps has allowed me to find some amazing places. Then when I'm there I just use intuition and explore.

Here's a brief potato cell phone edit of some of the areas we traipse through to give You a better idea of the terrain. It's all pretty basic, but we have a blast!

Hope this helps [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dude this is AWESOME! Exactly what I was looking for!
What trails have you been on? Can you recommend any as your favorites?
A few faves:

- South Mountain State Forest/Ashland Pinnacle State Forest
- Lutheranville State Forest
- Burnt Rossman Hills State Forest
- Leonard Hill State Forest/High Knob State Forest

Those listed with a "/" are directly adjacent to one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony_Tacoma

Rank II
Launch Member

Steward I

Long Island
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Mercuri
Member #

Hey mark!

I just joined OB and looking for the same exact thing as you.

I'm trying to plan a trip with my father and a few friends to go hit some class 4 roads up in Vermont!

Reactions: mb1k

mark_themachinst_guy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Island, New York
Member #

Do you have any idea as to where to go in VT? I’ve been up there a handful of times, and always fall in love with the scenery. If you’re interested we could try and plan a trail run, I’d like to get up there again and do some exploring!

Tony_Tacoma

Rank II
Launch Member

Steward I

Long Island
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Mercuri
Member #

I'm not exactly sure of the trails, but I know there's class 4 roads going all around the state. Definatly down to plan a trip soon!

mark_themachinst_guy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Island, New York
Member #

I've only been to VT once, but I have a co-worker that grew up there, I'll have to ask him if he knows any good trails. I'll do some research on some class 4 roads.
I just did a quick google search and found these handy links:
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Vermont
http://vtransmaps.vermont.gov/mapsftp/current.asp

Might be a good place to start to get an idea of where to go. I've frequently traveled New Hampshire too, and I know there's a ton of class 4 roads there as well. PM me if you want to plan something!

Reactions: mb1k

TCrush

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

Looking to do a trip this spring, west to east (or East to west ) across VT, NH into ME. the VT maps are a great help so thanks to who ever posted, haven't found anything comparable for NH, is there a route that others have taken?

I'm also planning a TAT run, probably next summer on two wheels, so for I'm going solo, but if anyone is game PM me.

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

Hey overlanders,

I live on Long Island, NY. Not a great place to be if you're into offroading and overlanding I've found. Sure there's Rousch Creek in PA, but that's a 5 hour drive from me. My 2010 FJ Trail Teams and I are itching to break the mall crawler status and seriously get the tires dirty. But I just don't know where to go.

I've been upstate NY, which is a beautiful region with a ton of woodlands and mountains. But I don't know if its technically legal to drive on some of the fire roads and trails up there. The last thing I want is to get fined, or worse, get my FJ impounded for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've also explored a little in New Hampshire and Vermont, two of my favorite states. I've heard there's a ton of beautiful trails up there too, but again, I simply just don't know where to go.

I'm looking for a place where I can explore around a bit in my mostly stock FJ (just added a snorkel, and the stickers, for now at least) I'd also like to set up camp for a night or two for some weekend trips, so primitive camping areas are a must. If any one here is from the north east/new england and knows of a few trails, could you help a lost overlander out? If you're local maybe we could even meet up or organize a trail run for the other new englanders around here.

Thanks guys!
I'm from PA and have mainly been exploring Bald Eagle State Forest. I picked up some Purple Lizard Maps last summer at the mainline overland festival. They have maps for other forests in central PA too.

TacomqTRD

Rank 0

Traveler I

I did the Mount Beacon (Beacon, NY) service road back in August, and while it's technically illegal, it's generally accepted by local authorities, the mayor, and hikers that off road vehicles have been climbing it since the 60s. I have never heard of anyone getting ticketed or having their vehicles confiscated. Just use your head when hikers approach (the route is the actual hiking path) and stop to let them pass, don't blast music, yada yada and you'll be fine.

Pretty technical rock crawling, and some puddles to slosh through. When you get to the top it opens up to a large viewing area with insane views of the Hudson River Valley. I was able to do it in my stock JKU with 32" MT's without airing down. PM me if you want some more information.
Hey, Trailspin. I’m pretty new to overlanding/off-roading in general. Do you think a stock 2018 Tacoma TRD offroad could handle Mt Beacon well?

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
You guys talking about VT....if you ride, be sure to bring your MTB and hit the Kingdom Trails in East Burke! Not sure if there are any 4x4 trails out there, but that mtb trail network is heaven! I'll be spending a lot of time up there this summer.