Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

There are no parts available for the bronco sport in the United States unless you have a 2 L motor in which case parts for that engine is available everything else is new they haven’t have any stock yet. That said there has been multiple recalls on the bronco sport the most recent is brake pads not meeting federal standards which may also be the reason why my rear brakes squeal like crazy whenever I start the vehicle up after it’s been sitting cold. My water pump went out at 20,000 miles no I’ve had vehicles for 20 and 21 and 30 years and we’re still on the original water pumps there is absolutely no reason for a water pump failure at 20,000 miles it took six weeks and one day to get a water pump air shipped from the UK so they wouldn’t have to buy the vehicle back.
Wow, yeah, a water pump failure after 20,000 miles is just ridiculous, as are brakes that aren't up to the established basic standard!. Hopefully they correct these issues with subsequent model years of the vehicle. That's a bummer.

That's one thing about the RD1 - the newest example is now 20 years old, and there are still a ton of them out on the road, many, if not most, still running on the original motor with mostly original parts.

I've had to replace my power steering pump due to a failure (after 21 years of operation) and replaced the front axles (after 21 years and over 350k kms, after installing a lift and having them vibrate excessively) I replaced the radiator due to a leak, and the alternator (which probably failed due to me swamping it in mud, to be fair lol) Oh, and I also had a universal joint fail on me at hwy speed, which wasn't fun, but again, it lasted 20 years so I really can't complain too much. I also replaced the two lower motor mounts, and had the mechanic change out one rear wheel bearing that was starting to go.

I also had an obstacle induced muffler delete and had to replace the muffler, which actually was fortuitous because the old stock muffler was HUGE and I replaced it with a much more compact one, increasing my departure angle in the process.

All in all, nothing really serious or expensive, and considering the age of the vehicle, pretty solidly reliable.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Summer will be here in a few months, and I'm still wanting to run the Dempster. Have been going back-and-forth as to what vehicle to take. I just put new tires on the Jeep (MT Baja Boss AT), so that's a plus in the Jeep's favor.

However, gas is starting to climb back up to over $4.00/gallon. Starts making the Yaris look better and better.

I need to get a Rally Point going so folks who are interested can start planning.

Proposed trip outline (click the link - don't pay attention to the title): US East - Running the Trans America Trail (TAT) from WV to the OR coast | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

(Link above may have hiccupped - I think I've fixed it, if not, you want post #801 on page 41 of the TAT thread)

Last edited:
U

UgotWheelz

Summer will be here in a few months, and I'm still wanting to run the Dempster. Have been going back-and-forth as to what vehicle to take. I just put new tires on the Jeep (MT Baja Boss AT), so that's a plus in the Jeep's favor.

However, gas is starting to climb back up to over $4.00/gallon. Starts making the Yaris look better and better.

I need to get a Rally Point going so folks who are interested can start planning.

Proposed trip (click the link - don't pay attention to the title): US East - Running the Trans America Trail (TAT) from WV to the OR coast | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
The last time I ran the Dempster we took a 98 Jeep ZJ (4.0/auto) that we modified with an IRO 3.5" lift, 4.10 gears 31" tires, and true-tracks front-and-rear (with a real dana 44 in the back, not a dana 44A). Seems like we were getting 20-something MPG pulling the trailer, and we were very comfortable. They can be bought pretty cheap. If you're looking for a budget overlanding vehicle, you can't go wrong starting with a Jeep ZJ to build.

ZJ parking garage.1.jpg

Picture below taken at Eagle Plains on the Dempster Highway.

Yukon Dempster Eagle Pass Copy.2.JPG

Last edited:
U

UgotWheelz

OMG - I caught myself googling lift kits for my 2008 Yaris. And it looks like they're out there.

But for a trip like running the Dempster, a little AWD or 4WD vehicle would be perfect. A Subaru anything, Suzuki/Chevy sidekick; or any of those little two or four door small SUV-ish vehicles would do just fine.

But some folks might be like me - either HD Jeeps and trucks (or none at all), or a small lil' FWD commuter car.
I thought about this one when I read your trip description.

Yes there’s a bunch of off-road and lifted Miata’s out there so I’m done better than others but they’re out there

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland
U

UgotWheelz

I thought about this one when I read your trip description.

Cool video. My buddy has a Miata (it is a little rough around the edges). I sent him the video. We used to have VW bugs back in the day (1200cc bugs).

I think they make a limited slip for my Yaris (a TRD product?). I'm afraid to google it - I might find one cheap. My Yaris is far from my idea of a good little overlanding vehicle, but like the video said.. sometimes you've gotta run what you've got. And for a 5,000 mile round-trip to TUK and back, it sure would cut down on what would be my major expense - gasoline.
That is true fuel costs would probably be considerably less however you do have to factor in the possibility of a breakdown and an off grid tow Bill That was one of the things that halted my progress I’m looking for another fiesta ST for an overland fiesta build. Back when I drove results they were so small and light just about anything and pull one out I forgot stock and they rarely did lots of suspension travel made over 15 inches of suspension travel light weight and low gears they were just about anywhere in the event you did get stuck even the local farmers donkey could pull one out or three buddies could just pick it up and move it the Yaris is small but it’s definitely not light weight.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
That is true fuel costs would probably be considerably less however you do have to factor in the possibility of a breakdown and an off grid tow bill. That was one of the things that halted my progress. I’m looking for another fiesta ST for an overland fiesta build. Back when I drove results they were so small and light just about anything and pull one out. I forgot stock and they rarely did lots of suspension travel made over 15 inches of suspension travel. Light weight and low gears they were just about anywhere. In the event you did get stuck even the local farmers donkey could pull one out or three buddies could just pick it up and move it. The Yaris is small but it’s definitely not light weight.
A Yaris might not be my first choice for running the Dempster, but its what I've got. And my wife won't let me take her Subaru Crosstrek (which would be my first choice between the two). I still need to install the 1.2" lift kit on the Yaris.

If you were looking for a vehicle to build for this trip, there are lots of good small to medium sized inexpensive used vehicles out there that are 4WD or AWD that get pretty good gas mileage (all things considered), and sit up a little bit high from the factory. Suzuki made some small AWD cars, and the Ford Escape (or the Mercury version) are two that come to mind that would do well on a trip like this. The Honda Pilot (or whatever their 4WD little SUV is called) has a strong off-road following. Lots of older Subarus out there.

The Dempster is pretty much a fairly well maintained dirt road. Getting to it and back is all paved. My Mom's front wheel drive Kia Soul (with proper tires) I think would do well on this trip.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Ok... if all goes according to plan, I will be posting a Rally Point for the Dempster Trip next week sometime under the US NW Region. Figure we'll meet up in Canada in Dawson Creek BC by the sign (start of the Alaska Highway) on/about 30 July (Rally Point will have specifics), and we'll go from there. I will post an extensive/detailed list of vehicle (and trailer if you're bringing one) requirements (actually they're pretty basic), comms requirements (figure GMRS) and convoy procedures, what-and-what-not to bring, do's and don'ts, etc. Figure it'll be a good three - four weeklong trip.

This is the trip outline (ignore the title - just click on it): US East - Running the Trans America Trail (TAT) from WV to the OR coast | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

(Link above may have hiccupped - I think I've fixed it, if not, you want post #801 on page 41 of the TAT thread)

And while vehicle requirements will be the same for all vehicles, 4WD or AWD will not be a requirement. I don't know what gas prices will be this summer, but I don't want that to be a deterrent for anyone. I still haven't ruled out taking my mighty Toyota Yaris.

If you're thinking of going, the 2022 Milepost book (the Bible for travel in western Canada and Alaska) is supposed to be available starting 15 March. It is updated annually. I can't recommend the book enough - those "in the know" know this is the go-to book for travel up there. Gets yours now. They sell them in bookstores, but you can also order them online:

wwwLink: Home - The MILEPOST

Milepost 2022.PNG

Arctic Trip.3.jpg

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Ok... well I was planning on posting a Rally Point today for meeting up in Dawson Creek BC in late July and heading north to run the Dempster Highway to the Arctic Ocean. I actually had the template pulled-up. And then I found this (check it out):

Link: Borders and airports | GNWT's Response to COVID-19 (gov.nt.ca)

Pretty much they're shutting down the NWT (and I'm figuring the Yukon Territory too) to non-residents. Until I get the word that we can travel up there without restrictions, it is a non-starter. The Dempster is in both the Yukon Territories and the NWT.

I still might put up a Rally Point anyways just to have it in place in case we do get a green light for travel soon. We'll have to see what happens.

In the meantime, enjoy.

Driving Seasons | dempsterhighway

16 Things to Know BEFORE Traveling Dempster Highway - GRRRLTRAVELER

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I know there's millions (thousands? hundreds? a dozen? more than two?) of folks out there asking themselves "What is armyRN going to do this summer? Is he going to post a Rally Point? And if so, to where?"

So here it is:

US Northwest - Idaho BDR (and then some!) | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Trying to stay a little closer to home (SW WA). Not suitable for a small economy car though.

Maybe by next summer they'll let us travel into northern Canada. And I can take my Yaris.