Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I've thought about this for a while, so I thought I'd put it out there for comments.

I've got a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 that I've used for some shorter overlanding trips (I can sleep in the back). Gets about 10 - 12 mpg.
I've got a 1998 Jeep TJ on 33's that I also pull a trailer with that I use for extended cross-country and up into Canada & Alaska overlanding trips. Gets about 15 - 16 mpg.
I've got a 1946 Willys CJ2A that's moderately lifted and locked at both ends for four-wheeling fun.

Obviously I'm a manly-man.

However, I've also got a 2008 Toyota Yaris (my commuter car) that gets in the mid-30's mpg (I just noticed my truck in the background). Driving it keeps me from racking up the miles on my Jeep and truck.

Yaris.1.jpg

I've run the Dempster Highway before in a 1998 Jeep ZJ (to Inuvik - was before the road was opened to TUK). Getting to and from the Dempster was pretty much all paved. I don't remember the Dempster being too bad (other than not paved). I possibly might want to get a group to run the Dempster to TUK next summer (2022).

I know gas can get expensive, and just from WA to TUK (and back) is a couple thousand miles (about 5,000 actually). And gas is more expensive in Canada. So here's my crazy idea:

What if I organized a run to TUK where pretty much anything goes vehicle - wise since most of the route is paved? The only vehicle-itself requirements would be:

(Vehicle does not necessarily have to be 4WD or AWD.)
Heavy-duty-ish all terrain tires on all four corners, and a full-size matching spare tire on a matching rim (no temporary spares even if they are the same size)
Tow attachment points front and rear (i.e. receiver hitch with a tow ring in the rear, and a tow-ring up front).
Vehicle needs to be in good mechanical repair (this isn't a beater-run).

I'd consider putting some sort of roof-rack on my Yaris (even if I had to drill holes in the roof), and I think I could pare-down my gear to make it work (there's actually quite a bit of room in the back with the back seat folded flat).

So do you think anyone would be interested? Think anyone would be willing to leave their outfitted Jeep or 4-runner at home and take their kitted lil' 2WD commuter car instead? You can buy used ones pretty cheap that were only used for commuting back-and-forth to work. And I'm pretty sure my wife would say "No" if I asked to borrow her 2017 Subaru Crosstrek for the trip.

Or maybe someone who only has a little commuter car (who dreams of overlanding) and wants to give Overlanding a shot in their... I dunno... KIA Soul (My 90 y/o Mom has one - they're pretty nice)?

Would the thought of saving (a lot) of gas money be an incentive? The views are the same no matter what you drive. From just Seattle WA to TUK and back is about 5,000 miles, and other than the approximately 1200 miles up and back on the Dempster, it is all paved. Does the thought of doing something unconventional interest you? The challenge of doing something different get your mental gears turning? Dare to be different?

Tell me what you think.

And yes; I know my truck and Jeep are way more capable and spacious than my Yaris (or your little commuter car) - we're not discussing the comparisons between the two types of vehicles.

Last edited:

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

This is very popular in Europe. There are many rallies organized each year. Many of them are organized in France.
If you go to some of the remotes parts of the world and you will see the most unsuitable vehicle that you believed had no chance of getting there is a 90 % chance that a french person drove it there.
It is not a criticism, it is admiration :)

This a 10 k miles long rally, organized each year starting in Europe and ending up in Mongolia. The participants have 1 rule. Only cars with a 1l engine maximum are admitted. Anything goes .
In france there is a very popular peugeout 205 african raid organized every year.
besides this organized events, I can tell you that I have seen personally many small cars in the most unexpected places...
How did they get there and was it practical, comfortable ?.. I have no idea..
There is also a tour of the alps organized each year by the owner clubs of BMW Isetta. This I have seen myself, I was on the Grossglockner High Alpine Road when they passed by me, at 2500 m altitude..
I have no idea of the conditions of where you want to go but, in general, it is doable.
In third world countries, people have to go on terrible roads and they don't have g wagons, most of them can't afford any kind of 4x4. And they travel and go with what ever they have available.. usually you average small car..

Last edited:

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Low cost Honda Element AWD can be had all day long for 2K to 4K. Had an AWD 1st gen CRV(forerunner to the Element), bought it for 2K. Did the Alpine Skyway one summer along with Yankee Boy Basin. So your premise of overlanding with a budget daily driver is doable to a certain degree.
28110146.JPG
28110151.JPG

Reactions: Sparksalot

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
OMG - I caught myself googling lift kits for my 2008 Yaris. And it looks like they're out there.

But for a trip like running the Dempster, a little AWD or 4WD vehicle would be perfect. A Subaru anything, Suzuki/Chevy sidekick, Ford Escape; or any of those little two or four door small SUV-ish vehicles that don't get a lot of press would do just fine.

But some folks might be like me - either HD Jeeps and trucks (or none at all), or a small lil' FWD commuter car.

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
OMG - I caught myself googling lift kits for my 2008 Yaris. And it looks like they're out there.

But for a trip like running the Dempster, a little AWD or 4WD vehicle would be perfect. A Subaru anything, Suzuki/Chevy sidekick; or any of those little two or four door small SUV-ish vehicles would do just fine.

But some folks might be like me - either HD Jeeps and trucks (or none at all), or a small lil' FWD commuter car.
I thought about this one when I read your trip description.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I have a lifted TJ and have found myself more and more using my compass for camping trips and exploring. It was my commuter car ( roughly 140km per day) but now I have moved and don't really have a commute anymore. Been looking at building it up slightly so that my wife and kid could come out for some trips, but getting the time off these days is rough. I wish I could go on a trip like this but for me at this point in life, the expenses would bury me

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I thought about this one when I read your trip description.

Cool video. My buddy has a Miata (it is a little rough around the edges). I sent him the video. We used to have VW bugs back in the day (1200cc bugs).

I think they make a limited slip for my Yaris (a TRD product?). I'm afraid to google it - I might find one cheap. My Yaris is far from my idea of a good little overlanding vehicle, but like the video said.. sometimes you've gotta run what you've got. And for a 5,000 mile round-trip to TUK and back, it sure would cut down on what would be my major expense - gasoline.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Cool video. My buddy has a Miata (it is a little rough around the edges). I sent him the video. We used to have VW bugs back in the day (1200cc bugs).

I think they make a limited slip for my Yaris (a TRD product?). I'm afraid to google it - I might find one cheap. My Yaris is far from my idea of a good little overlanding vehicle, but like the video said.. sometimes you've gotta run what you've got. And for a 5,000 mile round-trip to TUK and back, it sure would cut down on what would be my major expense - gasoline.

Attachments

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
One advantage they have in Europe is the abundance of these little diesel powered commuter cars. They just sip the fuel making a 5000 mile round trip almost doable on what you can carry alone. I see no reason these little cars couldn't do the trip with some prep and planning. Some good tires, a roof rack with supplies and do it.

2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
I'm not thinking about doing quite that level of travel, but I am considering using my Toyota Camry for my trip to the southwest this summer. With that many miles to cover and were not going anywhere specifically "off road" saving those MPGs become extremely important. The Camry gets over 2x the MPG of the truck that's s savings of over 50% on fuel alone. We can use that money for other things. I still haven't decided which vehicle to take yet.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
You just have to work within your limitations.

A friend and I put on a ham radio transmitter hunt out in the Anza-Borrego desert. We warned the rest of the group that the hunt would take them off pavement. For most of the guys that is not much of an issue. Most drive 4wd SUVs. But the guy with the the least capable vehicle decided he would participate anyways. His vehicle? A Prius.

Hams being hams, he hacked the Prius to achieve a better level of off-road traction. IIRC the factory design cuts power to wheels that slip and he took that feature out so that he could keep his wheels turning regardless of how much (or little) traction they had.

He actually did better than the team with a 2wd WJ. The 2wd WJ got stuck in the sand. The Prius never got stuck.

The biggest issue with the Prius was ground clearance. Many of the trails are sandy washes and they wind up being two ruts on either side of a raised sand bed. The flat bottom of the Prius worked well at sliding along on top of the sand, but once the ruts started to get too low relative to the center section he would have to call it quits on that trail and back up and look for another route. But he still had fun and got to see more country than he would have if he had stayed home.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

So do you think anyone would be interested?
I'd be most interested. Love the idea, challenge of bucking the trend. As a 10 year NWT resident, I've been searching for a reason to return, this would be ideal.

Ex F250 Crewcab owner, TJ.YJ owner for 30 years. I too love the down scale thing.
For a trip like this at my age, I'd want to sleep inside so I lean to Ford Transit ....... Connect van.
I don't think I could go smaller, older yes, smaller no.

f6f9ba9e084e9b8ccd5f6e6d329bb33d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: UgotWheelz

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

2 years ago I saw a Miata towing a tiny teardrop on the Banff Jasper Hwy 99...... I missed getting a picture but it was very cool.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The participants have 1 rule. Only cars with a 1l engine maximum are admitted.
lol. Nothing in Noorth America is even sold with an engine under a litre.
OK, someone will prove me wrong, but there is no mainstream dealer selling them in 50 states.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Would this, with a 170 cu in straight six and three on the tree qualify?
cuz these are bullet proof

View attachment 193336
It would definitely fall under the unconventional heading.

I was trying to come up with a name for this trip - something that reflects the opposite end of the Jeep/4-Runner/Tacoma crowd.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I was trying to come up with a name for this trip - something that reflects the opposite end of the Jeep/4-Runner/Tacoma crowd.

affordable overlanding
just git 'er done overlanding

on the theme of minimal overlanding across the Sahara Desert
Think Trabant overlanding

I think the body was paper mache, 600cc, 37cI engine. These cars went everywhere. Not sure one has been to TUK yet tho.
wuemor 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland