Overlanding in a small economy car

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
You're all in(?!) - what are you thinking of taking on the trip?

I did the math based on $1.61 a liter, converted CA dollars to US, converted liters to gallons... still comes out to about $5.00/gallon. Here in the US it is a little under $4.00/gallon. It adds up when you're doing a couple thousand miles!

I think I saw on the newspaper headlines today that they're opening the Canadian border (I haven't read the article yet).
I am all in on following your progress. Need any ideas thought about, I will try to help you out.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
So I'm still wanting to make a run up to northern Canada this summer (possibly in the mighty Yaris). I just don't know what's going to happen with the new Covid variant and border crossings. I guess we'll just have to see.

I was hoping to do the BC Overland Rally in June, but again - don't know if crossing the border will be an issue, or if they're even going to have it this year.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

So I'm still wanting to make a run up to northern Canada this summer (possibly in the mighty Yaris). I just don't know what's going to happen with the new Covid variant and border crossings. I guess we'll just have to see.

I was hoping to do the BC Overland Rally in June, but again - don't know if crossing the border will be an issue, or if they're even going to have it this year.
I have a feeling Ontario is going to tighten up again, not sure about the rest of the provinces. Most offroad related events have been canceled the last 2 years with a few exceptions. Who knows these days what will happen in a week from now lol.

U

UgotWheelz

I have a feeling Ontario is going to tighten up again, not sure about the rest of the provinces. Most offroad related events have been canceled the last 2 years with a few exceptions. Who knows these days what will happen in a week from now lol.
Interesting if you get any news n boarder status please share

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Interesting if you get any news n boarder status please share
Will do, but you'll probably hear it at the same time from the news. It just makes it hard to plan for the summer.

Decisions, decisions... make a run up to Tuk and the Arctic Ocean this summer, or instead run the Colorado BDR?

Damn Covid.

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Oh I get it. I'm a nurse (aka "armyRN") with a long ICU background (was a CCRN for 21 years for those who know what that is). I've got my shots and the booster. There are some crazy ideas being put out there by the antivaxxers that folks are actually (and sadly) believing.

Not to turn this thread into a political thread about the vaccines.

I get the slippery slope arguments. I get the government overreach arguments. I'm a fairly conservative person myself (in most areas), and strong 2A supporter. Retired Military.

My daughter also works in a hospital. One of her patients was refusing to accept blood (if needed) because she didn't want any blood from someone who was possibly vaccinated. She (patient) said she'd rather die than get blood potentially tainted with the Covid vaccine.

But if we do end up running a group up to northern Canada, I'm not going to be checking folks' vaccination records.

Reactions: KAIONE

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Let's get this thread back on track. Did someone say compact overlander?
View attachment 218648
I agree. We need something to look forward to this summer, and to have a mental happy place to go to till then. Half the fun of an overlanding trip (in my opinion) is the planning, anticipation, and of course using it as an excuse to upgrade or get new stuff.

Nice. Is that a Honda CRV? I saw a group of them when doing the TAT, and they did some pretty amazing things.

Speaking of stuff... it is nice when overlanding to bring a little bit of home with you. Canada has their Tim Horton's coffee; here in SW WA we have our local Red Leaf Coffee.

Main Home - Red Leaf Organic Coffee (redleafcoffee.com)

Red Leaf Coffee.jpg

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Nice. Is that a Honda CRV? I saw a group of them when doing the TAT, and they did some pretty amazing things.
Yep, 1999 Honda CR-V, the first generation. Fun fact, Land Rover had a hand in the design process, as Honda and Land Rover were partners at the time.

Mine has a 2" lift and is running 235/75/15's. The roof rack is my own design and build from extruded aluminum, the wind faring is also my build. The Jerry can holder is a smittybilt with a custom mount bracket.

This shot is from Telkwa pass, which is an awesome 4x4 trail between Telkwa and Terrace, BC. This little beast has made it through some pretty crazy terrain, certainly more than just plain forest roads.

Reactions: UgotWheelz
U

UgotWheelz

Yep, 1999 Honda CR-V, the first generation. Fun fact, Land Rover had a hand in the design process, as Honda and Land Rover were partners at the time.

Mine has a 2" lift and is running 235/75/15's. The roof rack is my own design and build from extruded aluminum, the wind faring is also my build. The Jerry can holder is a smittybilt with a custom mount bracket.

This shot is from Telkwa pass, which is an awesome 4x4 trail between Telkwa and Terrace, BC. This little beast has made it through some pretty crazy terrain, certainly more than just plain forest roads.

U

UgotWheelz

I’m trying to figure out what to do for a new vehicle now the bronco is just proving to be is very unreliable. I’m also not impressed with it snow/ice/capabilities! I’ve had front wheel drive cars that are far more capable even with three peak rated all-terrain tires. I’m kind of thinking about some kind of an all wheel drive or 4 x 4 minivan or Japanese camper van as I really don’t want to take the gas mileage hit of a full-size van. But I’m out of my element with those vehicles I don’t know what is dependable and what gets good gas mileage.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I’m trying to figure out what to do for a new vehicle now the bronco is just proving to be is very unreliable. I’m also not impressed with it snow/ice/capabilities! I’ve had front wheel drive cars that are far more capable even with three peak rated all-terrain tires. I’m kind of thinking about some kind of an all wheel drive or 4 x 4 minivan or Japanese camper van as I really don’t want to take the gas mileage hit of a full-size van. But I’m out of my element with those vehicles I don’t know what is dependable and what gets good gas mileage.
Heres a good thread on smaller camper vans etc. Most are RHD tho.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Mitsubishi Delica is a legend when it comes to efficient, smallish off road vans. They are excellent off road, very comfy and versatile and lend themselves well to overlanding. They are also very reliable and sturdy.

They do come with some significant drawbacks, unfortunately, namely:
1. They are getting to be very pricey, especially for a really clean example.
2. They are very slow - they're good enough for highway cruising, however if you throw some big hills in, they're going to be putting along quite slowly.
3. They're notoriously difficult to do engine work on due to the cab over design with the hatch under the driver's seat, so if something does need fixing, it can be a major PITA to get to it.
4. Parts availability can be an issue, and due to the issue of #3, and due to rarity, it can be hard to find a mechanic who knows them, and some who know them refuse to ever work on them because they're such s pain lol

Having said that, from everything I've personally seen, they're an awesome vehicle if you can afford one and are willing to put up with their quirks.

U

UgotWheelz

Mitsubishi Delica is a legend when it comes to efficient, smallish off road vans. They are excellent off road, very comfy and versatile and lend themselves well to overlanding. They are also very reliable and sturdy.

They do come with some significant drawbacks, unfortunately, namely:
1. They are getting to be very pricey, especially for a really clean example.
2. They are very slow - they're good enough for highway cruising, however if you throw some big hills in, they're going to be putting along quite slowly.
3. They're notoriously difficult to do engine work on due to the cab over design with the hatch under the driver's seat, so if something does need fixing, it can be a major PITA to get to it.
4. Parts availability can be an issue, and due to the issue of #3, and due to rarity, it can be hard to find a mechanic who knows them, and some who know them refuse to ever work on them because they're such s pain lol

Having said that, from everything I've personally seen, they're an awesome vehicle if you can afford one and are willing to put up with their quirks.
Thanks for the input I have looked at the Delica and also the Toyota there are some JDM van importers in Seattle and in BC Canada they specialize in importing and maintaining servicing them and I do seem to have parts I don’t know what they cost and yes I was concerned about the power and speed. I’ve also looked at the Mitsubishi RVR which is a tall wagon based on the Evo not much less space than a standard Delica but Evo drivetrain.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Thanks for the input I have looked at the Delica and also the Toyota there are some JDM van importers in Seattle and in BC Canada they specialize in importing and maintaining servicing them and I do seem to have parts I don’t know what they cost and yes I was concerned about the power and speed. I’ve also looked at the Mitsubishi RVR which is a tall wagon based on the Evo not much less space than a standard Delica but Evo drivetrain.
By the way, I'm curious to know in what respect the bronco sport is unreliable. It seemed appealing to me, almost like a spiritual successor to the RD1 CR-V, although I would lean more toward the big bronco I think.

U

UgotWheelz

By the way, I'm curious to know in what respect the bronco sport is unreliable. It seemed appealing to me, almost like a spiritual successor to the RD1 CR-V, although I would lean more toward the big bronco I think.
There are no parts available for the bronco sport in the United States unless you have a 2 L motor in which case parts for that engine is available everything else is new they haven’t have any stock yet. That said there has been multiple recalls on the bronco sport the most recent is brake pads not meeting federal standards which may also be the reason why my rear brakes squeal like crazy whenever I start the vehicle up after it’s been sitting cold. My water pump went out at 20,000 miles no I’ve had vehicles for 20 and 21 and 30 years and we’re still on the original water pumps there is absolutely no reason for a water pump failure at 20,000 miles it took six weeks and one day to get a water pump air shipped from the UK so they wouldn’t have to buy the vehicle back.

U

UgotWheelz

There are no parts available for the bronco sport in the United States unless you have a 2 L motor in which case parts for that engine is available everything else is new they haven’t have any stock yet. That said there has been multiple recalls on the bronco sport the most recent is brake pads not meeting federal standards which may also be the reason why my rear brakes squeal like crazy whenever I start the vehicle up after it’s been sitting cold. My water pump went out at 20,000 miles no I’ve had vehicles for 20 and 21 and 30 years and we’re still on the original water pumps there is absolutely no reason for a water pump failure at 20,000 miles it took six weeks and one day to get a water pump air shipped from the UK so they wouldn’t have to buy the vehicle back.
Since the water pump failure my gas mileage has dropped between four and 8 miles per gallon there is more noise coming from the engine then there was before the water pump failure the temperature gage is erratic at best and it’s winter weather snow ice performance is not what I expected for an all wheel drive vehicle with all terrain tires and three peak rating I’ve had front wheel drive cars are far more capable in the snow and ice.