Overlander, Adventurer, Traveler...Impressed by a Honda CRV?

• HTML tutorial

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Yes... Lets start with a quick backround story. So, about 6 months ago I was looking for a small fuel efficient AWD vehicle to use for day trips and adventures. Nothing hard core, nothing for multi day, week, or monthly adventures...that's what my Rover is for. I was hellbent on getting a Subaru...Forester or Outback to be precise. I did also look at a few early model S-10's, an Isuzu Trooper II, and a RAV-4. Subaru's are outrageously pricey here in the PNW and nothing else really panned out. Then I was talking with this neat old guy named Richard at the local dog park. As it turns out...he was selling his 1997 Honda CRV AWD with 174,000 on the clock.

When I tell you this thing was clean, is an understatement. It looked brand new inside and out and is so quiet when it is running, I sometimes think it's not. No leaks, perfect interior, one owner, never smoked in, ALL maintenance records...it was awesome. So, $2300.00 later...I owned it.

Over the past 6 months I have it up to 200,000 miles and it runs like the day I bought it. I threw a roof rack and cargo basket on top, a CB radio in it, tune up, etc....a little more aggressive tires are next. It had a **** load of storage compartments hidden everywhere in the in the damn thing. It handles USFS fire roads and even some slightly rougher trails very impressively and has decent ground clearance for what it is. Great gas mileage out of the four banger and has more than enough power. At 6'-2" and 190 pounds....okay....230 pounds ( I'm 47...not 25 anymore )...It has plenty of room, it feels very spacious. Plenty of room for me, the dogs, and a **** load of gear.

Let me just say, I have never been a Honda fan...ever. Even after I bought it I tried really hard to find reasons to hate it. I failed. Fast forward to today...just when I thought this vehicle couldn't impress me anymore or even surprise me...BAM! It hit me out of nowhere! So, I'm vacuuming out the back cargo area and I lift the carpet and there's this large (3ft x 3ft) plastic hatch door in the floor...(scratching my head). Every early CRV I've ever seen has the spare tire in the tailgate...but maybe some were made to have the tire inside. So, I'm like cool...extra storage! As I'm checking out the storage area I noticed the 3ft x 3ft hatch door has folding legs on it...WHAT the **** is going on?! I pull it out, unfold the legs...It's a damn camping table with a small hole in the middle for a ****ing umbrella! A camping table that takes up no space because it doubles as a compartment hatch door!

I know, I know...laugh at me if you will...but I think that's pretty damn cool. I wish my Rover had something like that. I am left to ponder how many CRV owners know that this table exists?

In conclusion...I am very impressed and happy with this little AWD adventure vehicle. Thanks for reading :grinning:

IMG_20170826_185227.jpg IMG_20170826_181202.jpg IMG_20170826_181214.jpg IMG_20170826_181238.jpg IMG_20170826_181252.jpg

point_of_impact

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
Member #

cool story! I was a Honda mechanic by trade for a little over a decade before I left to work a desk job for Honda Motor Co. and I can tell you that the powertrain in that CR-V is reliable. Adjust the valves every 30K, perform regular maintenance, keep the diff fluid clean and she'll never let you down.

Reactions: Laughing Otter

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

cool story! I was a Honda mechanic by trade for a little over a decade before I left to work a desk job for Honda Motor Co. and I can tell you that the powertrain in that CR-V is reliable. Adjust the valves every 30K, perform regular maintenance, keep the diff fluid clean and she'll never let you down.
Thanks...like I was saying, I bought it as a "day trip" vehicle. I have a built and outfitted Land Rover and a full size Ford 4x4 truck. In the past I would've never considered a Honda for anything more than paved national park roads...maybe a well kept fire road ...maybe. Which for me was fine, a day trip to the beach or trail head, etc. Well, my mind has been changed and I find myself doing more and more challenging trips with it and saving money in gas to boot. I look forward to many more adventures with it.

Reactions: point_of_impact

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Yes... Lets start with a quick backround story. So, about 6 months ago I was looking for a small fuel efficient AWD vehicle to use for day trips and adventures. Nothing hard core, nothing for multi day, week, or monthly adventures...that's what my Rover is for. I was hellbent on getting a Subaru...Forester or Outback to be precise. I did also look at a few early model S-10's, an Isuzu Trooper II, and a RAV-4. Subaru's are outrageously pricey here in the PNW and nothing else really panned out. Then I was talking with this neat old guy named Richard at the local dog park. As it turns out...he was selling his 1997 Honda CRV AWD with 174,000 on the clock.

When I tell you this thing was clean, is an understatement. It looked brand new inside and out and is so quiet when it is running, I sometimes think it's not. No leaks, perfect interior, one owner, never smoked in, ALL maintenance records...it was awesome. So, $2300.00 later...I owned it.

Over the past 6 months I have it up to 200,000 miles and it runs like the day I bought it. I threw a roof rack and cargo basket on top, a CB radio in it, tune up, etc....a little more aggressive tires are next. It had a **** load of storage compartments hidden everywhere in the in the damn thing. It handles USFS fire roads and even some slightly rougher trails very impressively and has decent ground clearance for what it is. Great gas mileage out of the four banger and has more than enough power. At 6'-2" and 190 pounds....okay....230 pounds ( I'm 47...not 25 anymore )...It has plenty of room, it feels very spacious. Plenty of room for me, the dogs, and a **** load of gear.

Let me just say, I have never been a Honda fan...ever. Even after I bought it I tried really hard to find reasons to hate it. I failed. Fast forward to today...just when I thought this vehicle couldn't impress me anymore or even surprise me...BAM! It hit me out of nowhere! So, I'm vacuuming out the back cargo area and I lift the carpet and there's this large (3ft x 3ft) plastic hatch door in the floor...(scratching my head). Every early CRV I've ever seen has the spare tire in the tailgate...but maybe some were made to have the tire inside. So, I'm like cool...extra storage! As I'm checking out the storage area I noticed the 3ft x 3ft hatch door has folding legs on it...WHAT the **** is going on?! I pull it out, unfold the legs...It's a damn camping table with a small hole in the middle for a ****ing umbrella! A camping table that takes up no space because it doubles as a compartment hatch door!

I know, I know...laugh at me if you will...but I think that's pretty damn cool. I wish my Rover had something like that. I am left to ponder how many CRV owners know that this table exists?

In conclusion...I am very impressed and happy with this little AWD adventure vehicle. Thanks for reading :grinning:

View attachment 32974 View attachment 32975 View attachment 32976 View attachment 32977 View attachment 32978
Well hello neighbor...i always find the little things are more fun and interesting. Found myself laughing out loud at your story...so thank you. And fyi...if it goes missing...i have it and yes you can borrow it anytime....

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Well hello neighbor...i always find the little things are more fun and interesting. Found myself laughing out loud at your story...so thank you. And fyi...if it goes missing...i have it and yes you can borrow it anytime....
Hello there! I'm happy to hear my story brought forth a good laugh or two... lol, I'll keep that in mind neighbor!

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I had no idea those CRVs came with a built in tailgate table. Pretty awesome! I am jealous of the gas mileage you must get, a lot better than my 4Runner.
And I'm jealous of the mileage your Toyota gets....Rovers are very thirsty rigs, well the older ones anyway. Very cool trailer in your profile pic, I like it!

WindyCity_MDX

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I had no idea the 1st gen CRV's had such a table included. Great to see my MDX's little cousin being put to such great use.
Hoping to get a few goodies for my MDX -- nothing crazy either.

SHUTTERSPEED

Rank 0

Traveler I

A large portion of the members of the CRV groups I'm in on Facebook know of the table. They have some other really neat features. Like being able to lay the back seats down and the front seat down too to make a bed!

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

A large portion of the members of the CRV groups I'm in on Facebook know of the table. They have some other really neat features. Like being able to lay the back seats down and the front seat down too to make a bed!
Yeah, I know about the seats. I'm not on Facebook but I've gotten to know a lot of CRV owners on here. It is a well thought out vehicle and I'm liking it more everyday. Will I trade in the Rover on it....? Probably not, but I foresee many , many adventures with her! Oh, and hello and welcome to the OB brotherhood, nice to have you here. My name's Alan, nice to meet you.

Voodoo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salt Lake City, Utah
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Rambo
Member #

Service Branch
uS Navy

View attachment 32974 View attachment 32975 View attachment 32976 View attachment 32977 View attachment 32978
That storage area under the table is for a water tank shower that was offered.Screenshot_20191023-194748.png