Barclay

Local Expert Southern CA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Los Angeles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6BDO
Thanks everyone for coming out! I had a great time meeting some new people and swapping stories. This is the new regular place and time, see everyone in future events at the same place and time.

Barclay

Local Expert Southern CA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Los Angeles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6BDO

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Dan: from our 'death wobble' conversation at the meetup:
Were you able to nail anything down? Several sources say 99% is due to the axle-end bolt of the track bar is loose. That's pretty incredible that if it's not completely tight it can cause that.
That also means that regularly, this bolt will be severely over-tightened which could lead to another, more catastrophic failure!

In the video showing underneath, I can see two things: A lot of movement where the steering box mounts to the frame rail, as well as the side-to-side movement (pretty severe) of the engine on its mounts.

I would look into some engine mounts that had a different type of rubber (changing the durometry of the mount) to see if that had any improvement!

Interested to see how this turns out for you, lemme know!

Dan.

Barclay

Local Expert Southern CA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Los Angeles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6BDO
Were you able to nail anything down? Several sources say 99% is due to the axle-end bolt of the track bar is loose. That's pretty incredible that if it's not completely tight it can cause that.
That also means that regularly, this bolt will be severely over-tightened which could lead to another, more catastrophic failure!

In the video showing underneath, I can see two things: A lot of movement where the steering box mounts to the frame rail, as well as the side-to-side movement (pretty severe) of the engine on its mounts.

I would look into some engine mounts that had a different type of rubber (changing the durometry of the mount) to see if that had any improvement!

Interested to see how this turns out for you, lemme know!

Dan.
Visual inspection didn't reveal much aside from the drag link having ~1mm of play. Haven't checked all the bolts yet; I did install control arm mount skids recently (required pulling the lower bolts) and I tightened them myself but they may have settled loose . But, I'm at the limit of my expertise, so I'm taking it in to my local shop and I'll pass along your observations, thanks!

Overland-Jeff

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Torrance, CA
Member #

Assuming I get the rear end back together I'll be there this Saturday. The joy of replacing wheel bearings. Should be easy enough to find since it's literally next door to one of my old jobs. I'll be the odd one out with the Subaru.

Reactions: Narbob

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Hi, When is your next meeting, I cant seem to find it on Meetup. New guy in Culver City area.
The meetups are usually scheduled for the 2nd Saturday of the month at Common Space Brewery in Hawthorne. However, for March the meetup will be moved to Joshua Tree NP so we can participate in a cleanup, you’re welcome to join us there. Details will be posted after this weekend. BTW, I’m also in CC!!! Feel free to reach out to me (you can DM me directly) anytime @Narbob

Reactions: David S and Jaycee

Jaycee

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The meetups are usually scheduled for the 2nd Saturday of the month at Common Space Brewery in Hawthorne. However, for March the meetup will be moved to Joshua Tree NP so we can participate in a cleanup, you’re welcome to join us there. Details will be posted after this weekend. BTW, I’m also in CC!!! Feel free to reach out to me (you can DM me directly) anytime @Narbob
I 'm interested in the cleanup. Can I get details

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
I 'm interested in the cleanup. Can I get details
Look for it to be posted early next week. The basic details are; 3/9 1000am meet and greet, then cleanup and raffle. 3/10 the same. Stay tuned for details.

Reactions: David S

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
The March 9th meetup will be preempted in favor of joining the Joshua Tree cleanup! You can still stop by Common Space for the West LA meetup if you can't make it out to Joshua Tree, but the majority of people will be out cleaning our public lands. Please consider joining; there should be good people from all over California, and you can help make a difference!
upload_2019-3-2_17-25-11.jpeg

upload_2019-3-2_17-26-6.jpeg
@Barclay @Kent R @VCeXpedition
@Jaycee

Last edited:
Reactions: David S