Overland trip this autumn in Norway(Movie)

• HTML tutorial

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I'm in for an OB rally in the north. This year is tight because i'm going home to SoCal for most of my vacation. Next year is great. I was planning on Iceland but a OB rally would override that.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

na, I bet C and M wouldn't make it either this year. but we should put it on schedule for '18. and then maybe switch to sweden. sounds like there's more unpaved roads ..

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I'm in DE so "up north" anywhere is fine with me. Didn't see much off roading last trip so would be nice for the next one.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

we're going to do a 8 days overland trip through southern norway in august, as part of our honeymoon. currently busy browsing google maps and earth for gravel roads ..

if C and M would really make it over the pond, we'll definitly join!! what great opportunity for an OB europe rally!

In that case we should meet, I'll be in Denmark for a few days in august, but other then that I'm free.

Welcome to Norway anytime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christian

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

In that case we should meet, I'll be in Denmark for a few days in august, but other then that I'm free.

Welcome to Norway anytime.
would you mind having a look at our (current) trip planning and give little advice on whatever is needed from you standpoint? as well hints and tips concerning the routing between night stays .. would really appreciate help from experienced locals!

Reactions: thorstein

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Send me the link and I'll take a look @Christian although, I'm not experienced at overlanding (I used to drive a lowered convertible)

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

If I had to guess, I'd say the front was lowered 60mm and the rear 50.

thorstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lier, Norway
Member #

@Christian, depends alot on what you want to see, if you want too see all the famous places like Hardangerfjorden, Geiranger, Trollstigen, Atlantic Ocean road etc and you want to go for some gravvel road I think 8 days is too little, we did a tour this summer too those places and more for 9 days and we drove up too 10-12 hours each day, and thats too much in my opinion.

But if you want to do some of the roads we did in this movie + a trip over to the west coast then you could get a great trip

Here are some of the roads/locations I recommend you should consider to put on your route:
Jotunheimveien (Skåbu - Bygdin)
Grimsdalen (Dovre - Folldal)
Aursjøveien (Sunndalsøra - Eresfjord)
Trollstigen
Geiranger
Gamlestrynefjells veien (Grotli - Stryn)

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

@Christian, depends alot on what you want to see, if you want too see all the famous places like Hardangerfjorden, Geiranger, Trollstigen, Atlantic Ocean road etc and you want to go for some gravvel road I think 8 days is too little, we did a tour this summer too those places and more for 9 days and we drove up too 10-12 hours each day, and thats too much in my opinion.

But if you want to do some of the roads we did in this movie + a trip over to the west coast then you could get a great trip

Here are some of the roads/locations I recommend you should consider to put on your route:
Jotunheimveien (Skåbu - Bygdin)
Grimsdalen (Dovre - Folldal)
Aursjøveien (Sunndalsøra - Eresfjord)
Trollstigen
Geiranger
Gamlestrynefjells veien (Grotli - Stryn)
thanks @thorstein.

I know, 8 days is pretty tight, but we've only got 2 weeks of vacation, and to get to norway and back already takes 4 days, cause as you mentioned we don't want to drive more than 6-8hrs per day either. and in norway, there will be so many views to stop at, that 6hrs driving net should be the limit.

I will check out the locations you proposed, Geiranger and Jotunheimveien (we eventually want to camp at Skåbu) had already been on the list. though my misses wants to see it, I'd prefer to avoid crowded places like the preikestolen. but maybe there's another option, I'm messaging with @Joey83, will add you to this conversation if you don't mind.

thanks
christian

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

So I have made a movie from our last trip in Norway! Hope some of you get inspired and will do some overlanding up here in the north :)

Hei Thorstein
Really liked your video and filming technique.
I am a new member, based in Sandnes, Rogaland.
Would be interesting to meet up sometime.

Reactions: thorstein

thorstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lier, Norway
Member #

Hei Thorstein
Really liked your video and filming technique.
I am a new member, based in Sandnes, Rogaland.
Would be interesting to meet up sometime.
Hi!
Thank you! Welcome to OB!
That would be cool! We are 2 cars on our way through Denmark from our 3 week journey in the alps atm, going to take the ferry over to Kristiansand on wedensday night and will be heading towards Stavanger on thursday. We're not gonna stay for a long time in the area but would be cool to meet. So let me know if you're able to catch up!

Regards, Thorstein

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Hi!
Thank you! Welcome to OB!
That would be cool! We are 2 cars on our way through Denmark from our 3 week journey in the alps atm, going to take the ferry over to Kristiansand on wedensday night and will be heading towards Stavanger on thursday. We're not gonna stay for a long time in the area but would be cool to meet. So let me know if you're able to catch up!

Regards, Thorstein
Hei Thorstein
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Unfortunately, I am in Iceland right now for 6 weeks Arctic Trucks expedition.
See: www.ic2017.no
But hope we can meet up some other time.
Hope you have a great trip to the Alps.
Cheers
Neil :)