Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Our “new” M101a2. Bought it Monday, searched for a way to mount our RTT all week, mounted the rails Thursday and left for her maiden voyage Friday. Lots of plans for this trailer!View attachment 111082View attachment 111083View attachment 111084View attachment 111082
@dletz71 Cool trailer, looks to be in very good shape.

Not to rain on your parade, but I hope you have a source for those 16.5" tires you have there before one of them throws 7's.

I would seriously recommend changing to 16" (wheels and tires) if you plan on using that in a fashion that required you to source a tire on the fly.

Those look like 800-16.5, even when 16.5's were "widely" available 800's were the stepchild, 8.75's and 9.50's were far more common, just a word of caution in the event you were unaware.

Gmanpaint

Rank II

Enthusiast II

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Gregg
Last Name
M
New member here, but been off grid vehicle camping since before it was referred to as Overlanding. I started with a 34' Ford Coachman in the 80's, then a conversion van in the 90's. Made due with trucks after the turn of the century, and transitioned into SUV's mid 2000, with ground tents. I decided I was tired of ground tents, and the packing/unpacking, then long camp setup times. So I decided to start building an off road trailer ready to go at a moments notice. Packing clothing and food/drink only for a trip will make it easier on this old man.

While I still prefer the roughing part of camping, (compared to an RV style), I also want it to be easier on myself. I would rather find an off grid camp sites that require 4wd low range, over commercialized asphalt road camp sites. So that meant, keep the modified SUV, and build a small off road capable trailer, to haul the luxury items. I have been in construction all my life, and have always worked and modified my own junk. So I slowly worked up an idea of what I wanted vs needed. From there, the vision of the end result was but a rough idea. I decided to just jump in, build what I knew, and just went with the flow as the build happened. Changes here, changes there, and new ideas formed as I went. By staying flexible, but keeping the overall final product in mind, it helped me color in the lines, and on track to the final goal.

It has been 2 years in the making from a DYI frame build out of a stack of 2"x3" tubes, to what it is today. It is no means a light weight trailer, but it is built to withstand the harsh trails for longer than I will be alive. It's mostly all steel, with all stainless hardware. Flooring was the exception. It's made from treated 3/4" decking. Reason being, all trailer flooring, no matter the substrate used, will eventually need replacing. Aluminum might be the exception to the rule. I built this a little at a time as funds allowed, and as a hobby. Some materials was out of my reach if I ever wanted to get this thing done before I croak, so I stuck with what I could afford and do. I can weld steel, but not aluminum/stainless, and work was done at home by me, with tools already owned.

I am a member of a large forum for the tow rig, and have documented this trailer build there from start to current day. The aspect of off road camping is not a very big interest on that forum, so I decided to branch out to places that are. If you want to see any of the build details, you can by following this link... It's a long detailed read, as I wanted to be able to share as much as possible, and hopefully help others with ideas or a how to. Since I already have a dedicated build thread for this trailer, I decided against making another, and just sharing the link for anybody interested.

Trailer is about 90% done. I will be working on it all winter long, getting it ready for next years adventures.

General specs:
2" x 3" x 3/16" tube frame & 2.5"sq x .250" wall full length tongue beam
4'x8' overall with 4'W x 6'L x 3'H cabin
Full length fenders with tube rock sliders
BAL-C 31" stablizing jacks in rear
3500# Timbren suspension w/electric brakes
35"x12.5" Goodyear MTR tires (Matches tow rig )
Lock N Roll hitch
Swing out Tongue box for spare tire access, with Marine switch control panel
Front cabin section with side doors, and rear section with rear door
Side mounted storage boxes with ready welder 2, first aid, tools/parts, recovery gear, etc...
Adjustable height roof rack with 3 person RTT/annex & 270* awning
3500# wireless remote winch with synthetic rope
LED Lights galore... In/out of cabin front/back, Top, sides, front, rear, & underneath. Heck, even the awning has built in Led lights.
100w slide out hidden solar panel- 20 amp shore charge, soon to have 40 amp DC/DC vehicle/solar charge, dual group 31 MAGM batteries
150 psi Onboard air
30 gal fresh water tank- 3 gpm auto on pump- Instant hot water heater
Dual 10# propane tank mounts- Jerry fuel can
Slide out Kitchen/storage in the rear cabin
Front side fridge slide
Cabin has Upper inside storage shelving front & rear with strap down system
PPG Black Automotive Paint. Raptor Liner on the fenders.

Hasn't been weighed yet, but as it currently sits, my best guess is right under 2000# loaded, dry. Yes it is heavy, and I expect a lot of the seasoned trailer owners to give me grief over it, but it is my first build, and I have learned a lot along the way. To compensate for the weight, the tow rig has also been modified more to handle it better.

Remember if you want to see more, click the link above!

Trailer front dr side profile.jpgAwning & RTT open.jpgpass side box wood finished.jpgFlooring inside.jpgtable top installed.jpgFinished 6.jpg20190829_175220.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Looking at all these cool trailers, get me thinking about one. As us family four, set in RTT plus kitchen problem is very hard sometimes.
only worries me is pulling trailer everywhere. Like next year we are planning do Labrador and Newfoundland, it's lots miles and with trailer, it worries me am little. Plus storage when is not in use.
So from your experiences, did you wish never got one or love so much, and it's better than van (who had van).

thanks

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

nlvillarroel

Rank 0

Contributor I

Venezuela
First Name
Nelson
Last Name
Villarroel
Looking at all these cool trailers, get me thinking about one. As us family four, set in RTT plus kitchen problem is very hard sometimes.
only worries me is pulling trailer everywhere. Like next year we are planning do Labrador and Newfoundland, it's lots miles and with trailer, it worries me am little. Plus storage when is not in use.
So from your experiences, did you wish never got one or love so much, and it's better than van (who had van).

thanks
Hi @phlfly

This is mi very first trailer and totally understand your thoughts .

I'm planning to do "Gran Sabana" (Venezuela) on december, it's a 3700km travel, 70% on and 30% offroad.

I'll have all our questions answered when i come back.

PS
Gran Sabana:
Capture.PNG

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

thanks
Every setup has its trade offs. There is no perfect setup. Rent something or multiple things if you are unsure of what might be best for your family.

I have a 4 car garage with tall doors. I guess I’m “lucky” and have the ability to store my trailer inside.

Not sure what your concerns are about pulling a trailer long distance. Maybe you can be a bit more specific. I have pulled a variety of trailers all over the past 5 years with no issues.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

My concern pulling trailer in tight off road conditions. Like tight turns, when it needs back to get more turning radius for the trailer. Another concern, while explore trail, it might needs turn around, and it can be very tricky in tight situations.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My concern pulling trailer in tight off road conditions. Like tight turns, when it needs back to get more turning radius for the trailer. Another concern, while explore trail, it might needs turn around, and it can be very tricky in tight situations.
If you stick with a smaller military tub style trailer that is rarely an issue. Lots of options including plenty of DIY trailers.

Having a good tongue jack which you can winch with, if need be, is very important as well. The XO Jacks allow you to do this. The vast majority of “overlanding” trails I have done I’ve had no issues with any of my trailers. True “off-road” trails it really depends. There are a few in AZ, of which I’m most familiar, where I won’t take a trailer. Every popular overlanding trail out west I have no issue taking a trailer. It really depends on your experience level, willingness to pinstripe your vehicle or trailer when you don’t have a choice, good spotting, and some practice maneuvering your setup.

Here’s my old Turtleback doing the technical section in Lockhart Basin, UT near Moab. No issues whatsoever. 6D49DBC0-2605-4606-9A18-CA7B0BAD7AF7.jpeg

Something with a lighter tongue weight also helps.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

So thats right it depends if trailer can track well behind a car. I wonder what is it depending on it ?
Like Turtleback vs Opus. Opus is longer but Aussie claims it does very good job but how ? Turtleback does well in any condition as I heard .

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
My current setup.

Box and Trailer built by @Anchor Mtn , a OB member and general all-around good guy.
Tent is a HiTents Jalama, good quality two-person tent. Awning is an Overland Pros 1st gen 270 deg awning.
Modified and added to by me. Fits my style right now, lots of fun to tug around, especially when i take my moto along!

80_under_a_bridgeV2019.jpg

cruiser_trailer1.jpg

box_interior1.jpg

electrical_Board1.jpg

Trailer1_2019_Oct.jpg

Trailer2_2019_Oct.jpg

R2V2

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura County, CA, USA
First Name
Alvaro
Last Name
Velasco
Member #

thanks
Owned our Patriot Camper X1 for almost 2 years. We too are a family of four. Never regretted it since day one. We have done man trips in it. Built like a tank.
IMG_0016.jpgIMG_0230.jpgIMG_0065.jpg

Attachments

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

How do you sleep 4 of you ? Do you have another tent that is not showed on those pictures?.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

How is easy and fast to set up annex room ?
I have a good size tent and in wind it's little pain to attached bottom to the floor.

Anvil Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pedee, OR, USA
First Name
jason
Last Name
smith
Member #

Portable Pillow Tanks: Wonder if anyone has experience with a collapsable tank? I have been looking for options to a poly tank for longer stays without taking up permanent space. I found this on US Plastic Corp site. They have a bunch of all sorts of tanks. Scout project is getting closer
Bulwinkle, I like the work being done on the back of your trailer. I'm looking into having similar fab work done to mine as well. Was it personal preference to offset the rear tire or did you design it for a specific purpose?

Slambo

Rank I

Enthusiast I

NE TN
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
Hi all,
First post on Overland Bound...so the tent on my 26 year old Tentrax finally gave up...I removed it and it turns out my Eureka Mountain Pass XTE2 fits perfectly...took it out for a little shake down camp last night (East TN)...worked great...takes only a few more minutes to set up

Slambo
A1440C83-F4CC-47B6-9C76-14FD621FBD1A.jpeg6CE5CC3A-5236-4F52-8BD3-3F07152B0059.jpeg1DEDE59A-FBAC-4C23-9725-AB14D5236833.jpeg

9DAF988A-3F0C-4A87-8F5A-4CB415525718.jpegF87B70D3-1FAE-4DA1-8F85-A9F8B1CDA23C.jpeg

Reactions: Devin H. and Downs

Devin H.

Rank I

Contributor III

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Devin
Last Name
Hamilton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7IQZ
This is Jeep Floki and the Battle Wagon. Smitty Built Scout Trailer, Switchpros 9100 electrics, 200W Solar / MPPT Renogy, Battle Born Lithium 100AH, ARB 45Qt, Honda EU2000i, BIG Tepui on top, Partner Stove. Tows great on the doner Rubicon rims and tires. Trailer up-weight is approximately 2300 lbs loadout dependant w/ 9 gallons of fuel & 12 gallons of water between internal & external tanks. Trailer scale weight was 1643 lbs as a finished kit ( no tent or amenities, wheels / tires on only ).20181015_121017.jpg

20181016_152955.jpg

Reactions: Ozzie H and Slambo

Devin H.

Rank I

Contributor III

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Devin
Last Name
Hamilton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7IQZ
New member here, but been off grid vehicle camping since before it was referred to as Overlanding. I started with a 34' Ford Coachman in the 80's, then a conversion van in the 90's. Made due with trucks after the turn of the century, and transitioned into SUV's mid 2000, with ground tents. I decided I was tired of ground tents, and the packing/unpacking, then long camp setup times. So I decided to start building an off road trailer ready to go at a moments notice. Packing clothing and food/drink only for a trip will make it easier on this old man.

While I still prefer the roughing part of camping, (compared to an RV style), I also want it to be easier on myself. I would rather find an off grid camp sites that require 4wd low range, over commercialized asphalt road camp sites. So that meant, keep the modified SUV, and build a small off road capable trailer, to haul the luxury items. I have been in construction all my life, and have always worked and modified my own junk. So I slowly worked up an idea of what I wanted vs needed. From there, the vision of the end result was but a rough idea. I decided to just jump in, build what I knew, and just went with the flow as the build happened. Changes here, changes there, and new ideas formed as I went. By staying flexible, but keeping the overall final product in mind, it helped me color in the lines, and on track to the final goal.

It has been 2 years in the making from a DYI frame build out of a stack of 2"x3" tubes, to what it is today. It is no means a light weight trailer, but it is built to withstand the harsh trails for longer than I will be alive. It's mostly all steel, with all stainless hardware. Flooring was the exception. It's made from treated 3/4" decking. Reason being, all trailer flooring, no matter the substrate used, will eventually need replacing. Aluminum might be the exception to the rule. I built this a little at a time as funds allowed, and as a hobby. Some materials was out of my reach if I ever wanted to get this thing done before I croak, so I stuck with what I could afford and do. I can weld steel, but not aluminum/stainless, and work was done at home by me, with tools already owned.

I am a member of a large forum for the tow rig, and have documented this trailer build there from start to current day. The aspect of off road camping is not a very big interest on that forum, so I decided to branch out to places that are. If you want to see any of the build details, you can by following this link... It's a long detailed read, as I wanted to be able to share as much as possible, and hopefully help others with ideas or a how to. Since I already have a dedicated build thread for this trailer, I decided against making another, and just sharing the link for anybody interested.

Trailer is about 90% done. I will be working on it all winter long, getting it ready for next years adventures.

General specs:
2" x 3" x 3/16" tube frame & 2.5"sq x .250" wall full length tongue beam
4'x8' overall with 4'W x 6'L x 3'H cabin
Full length fenders with tube rock sliders
BAL-C 31" stablizing jacks in rear
3500# Timbren suspension w/electric brakes
35"x12.5" Goodyear MTR tires (Matches tow rig )
Lock N Roll hitch
Swing out Tongue box for spare tire access, with Marine switch control panel
Front cabin section with side doors, and rear section with rear door
Side mounted storage boxes with ready welder 2, first aid, tools/parts, recovery gear, etc...
Adjustable height roof rack with 3 person RTT/annex & 270* awning
3500# wireless remote winch with synthetic rope
LED Lights galore... In/out of cabin front/back, Top, sides, front, rear, & underneath. Heck, even the awning has built in Led lights.
100w slide out hidden solar panel- 20 amp shore charge, soon to have 40 amp DC/DC vehicle/solar charge, dual group 31 MAGM batteries
150 psi Onboard air
30 gal fresh water tank- 3 gpm auto on pump- Instant hot water heater
Dual 10# propane tank mounts- Jerry fuel can
Slide out Kitchen/storage in the rear cabin
Front side fridge slide
Cabin has Upper inside storage shelving front & rear with strap down system
PPG Black Automotive Paint. Raptor Liner on the fenders.

Hasn't been weighed yet, but as it currently sits, my best guess is right under 2000# loaded, dry. Yes it is heavy, and I expect a lot of the seasoned trailer owners to give me grief over it, but it is my first build, and I have learned a lot along the way. To compensate for the weight, the tow rig has also been modified more to handle it better.

Remember if you want to see more, click the link above!

View attachment 119049View attachment 119050View attachment 119051View attachment 119052View attachment 119053View attachment 119054View attachment 119055

Thanks for looking!
Gregg, this thing is AWESOME! Really well thought out design and build quality clearly. I'd sure love to see some more pics and understand your engineering for your slide mount solar panel slung under the RTT. I've been sketching up plans for similar setup for 2x Renogy 100W eclipse panels on slide rails hidden under my RTT on the Smittybilt Scout trailer. Right now I stand mount them and stow them in the large rear cargo area in transit. This whole rig of yours is super skookum! Nice work!

Reactions: Gmanpaint