Kel Schwab

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

cambridge, ontario
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KBS
Hello, been training and using first aid since i was a kid in scout on canoe trips. Now that Im a leader, I've been certified in wilderness first aid. we made up our kits after taking the classes based on what we were comfortable using and our experience in the past. Much cheaper than commercial kits. The training is most important in my opinion. Our class trainer mentioned that wilderness first aid is where you are responsible for the patient for more than an hour. Canada is 99% wilderness. its a short drive out of any big city to where cell coverage is flaky and EMT response time will be long.

Advocate II

After not finding exactly what I needed, I pieced together my own kit using things I wanted from places like ZEE and MOORE in my Pelican EMS Case. I used to think it was overkill but lately I've been searching for a bunch of additional items after a few close calls.

Great looking set up. Happy to help track things down.

Travis Hurley- Founder/Owner
Outer Limit Supply | 720-987-4202
Est. 2014 | Littleton, Colorado
www.outerlimitsupply.com

JeepersForVets

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
I'll add another vote for the importance of training. You might forget the majority of it if you don't use it regularly, but you might also remember the important pieces when you're suddenly faced with an emergency. I'd been at a couple of incidents before my training, and that feeling of helplessness and not having a clue what to do is horrible. With training, you still might not do everything "perfectly" but I think sometimes just having the confidence to help however you can, can go a long way in helping someone with an injury feel more relaxed.

I have mixed thoughts about carrying more than you know how to use (or use properly / comfortably). It's always possible someone else in the group or at the scene does have experience but not enough supplies.

The other thing I carry with me (backpacks and vehicles) is a special little "Boo Boo Kit" just for kids. It has the basic items like wipes, gauze and bandaids, but the bandaids are the ones that have superheros on them, tattoos or Barbie / My Little Pony pictures. I let the kid pick one out, which helps distract them from their wound and also makes them feel more in control. A couple of suckers also stay in the pack as a treat for a wounded kid. Sugar usually makes them feel better. :) Obviously this kit is only for minor injuries, but it has been used many more times than my actual first aid kits.

Someone also mentioned keeping a Cliff bar or munchies for someone who needs sugar. I usually keep a stash of the hard Jolly Rancher candies (the best candies for on motorcycle trips as well) because they last forever in a bag and in your mouth. It's also a good way to get some sugar into your system. I used to carry tubes of sucrose tablets, but they either ended up as soggy mush or smashed into little piles of powdery chunks.

I can't find the YouTube video, but there was one where a lady was detailing her EDC pack contents. She had a great way of organizing her first aid kit and her boo boo kit with various sizes of heavy duty resealable plastic baggies with the contents labeled clearly by using a label maker. For the "Pharmacy" bag, each little bag had the name of the pill, the strength and expiry date. Eg. Advil / 200 mg / Exp Jun 2017. It's a great idea, because it makes it easy for someone else to use your kit if you're not able to.

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Last trip my buddy and I were talking about our health issues around the camp fire. And what we had in our our medical kits. And what could happen.
We came to the conclusion that the one thing we were missing is a portable defibrillator! Face it some of are getting old. And to have the big one hit ya out there would really really suck. They cost a lot but were working on it :}
If he wouldn't break his jeep so much would help. Last trip it was the front sway bar. "Oh, I forgot to push the button" What a crack up.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
The other thing I carry with me (backpacks and vehicles) is a special little "Boo Boo Kit" just for kids. It has the basic items like wipes, gauze and bandaids, but the bandaids are the ones that have superheros on them, tattoos or Barbie / My Little Pony pictures. I let the kid pick one out, which helps distract them from their wound and also makes them feel more in control. A couple of suckers also stay in the pack as a treat for a wounded kid. Sugar usually makes them feel better. :) Obviously this kit is only for minor injuries, but it has been used many more times than my actual first aid kits.
By far the largest use of my FAK is taking care of The Varmints and the trouble they find.

The one item I have been most happy to have added to my kit is a pair of watchmaker's tweezers. They are great for pulling out cactus thorns, nettles and splinters. The ones I bought were cheap ones from Grizzly Industrial, but they work better than anything I have ever found at the drugstore. They have tips that come to a needle point and are ground to a nice match. I don't know that I would appreciate them so much if I lived on the east coast, but playing around in the desert they seem to come into play on just about every trip.

Reactions: JeepersForVets

Trail_Blazer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Reno, NV
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kenney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6KYQ
There are two serious concerns with overland travel and first aid kits. The first is training. Everyone venturing out into the hinterlands needs to know emergency first aid. Take a course! A basic first aid course is better than nothing, but a wilderness first responder would be better. When you are hours away from competent medical treatment, the skills taught in the Wilderness programs, such as Wilderness EMT or PM, will save lives. Before leaving the house, you need to have a medical plan for evacuation. Know where the closest medical treatment is along your route of travel. More importantly, know how to get a rescue flight to your location. This means you have to have communications. Most of the places I go, there is no cell phone coverage. That means radio or Sat Phone. Your inter-group CB is nearly worthless. The Amateur Bands are better. But there are limits with VHF and UHF bands. HF is almost always good, but getting someone a thousand miles away to help is not the most efficient way to operate. The Sat Phone, and knowing how to call for evacuation is the best option, but you will need line-of-sight to the satellite. You may have to climb a mountain in some areas. The limiting factor here is the cost. Lastly, learn what helicopters require to safely land, how to signal them, and how to provide terminal landing directions. If you don't know that later, get the hell out of the way!

The most important thing to remember is the motto "First, do no harm!"

First-aid kits: Every vehicle should have one! Your kit needs to be assembled both to your skill level, and to the types of injuries you expect to see in the field. Cuts, bruises, sprains, and illness are the basics, but crushing injuries, broken bones, chest injuries, severe lacerations involving arteries, animal attacks, and gunshot wounds are a very few of the injuries you may see in the field. Does that mean you need a major trauma kit? Nope, just a few extra items that specifically address these issues. When I was a kid, I saw a man die when the jack that was holding up the car collapsed as he was crawling out from under the car. The car crushed his legs. He was in pain, but otherwise in stable condition until they removed the weight of the car, from his legs, and he died instantly. If someone had put a tourniquets on each leg he would have probably lived. This can happen in the back country (although, I would hope you wouldn't be so foolish as to crawl under a vehicle on a jack) during a field repair to an axle, or a crushing injury in a roll over. Get the training and plan for the unexpected, then build or buy you kit. I think there is more value in building your kit because you have to think about what you will be treating. But buying a kit is better than nothing. Just my two cents.

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Trail_Blazer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Reno, NV
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kenney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6KYQ
I have taken first aid training through Boeing on company time, pretty good course.
I do want to take some additional off work training such as wilderness first aid.

Today I updated my Outer Limit Supply to the new Quick Release Bracket.
Makes it a lot easier/faster to get the kit out if needed.
Getting to your kit is very important, do not bury it under other gear when on a trip.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/coreys-2007-toyota-fj-cruiser-build.2257/page-5#post-112890

Nice quick release bracket, and I like the idea of the Pelican case.

Reactions: Corey

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

I found a military medic bag to use for my trauma kit. It came empty so I checked various resources and used some of my personal experience (I worked as an EMT just out of high school) to build a list of what was needed. Then to save a few bucks I purchased what I needed from a local drug store or from on line sources. One of the benefits to this bag is that is is a back pack which is easily carried leaving your hands free to help transport the causality (say back to base camp, to a vehicle for medevac). I also have a sling stretcher tied to it which makes transporting that much easier.

Reactions: JasBec and DanR

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Great article! Here are a few more suggestions:

- Training is key, and as with many things two is one and one is none. In other words, get trained with an overlanding friend so that if you get injured there is someone to help you (this reminds me that I'm out of date on my Wilderness First Aid training, time to go again).

- Make sure personal protective items such as nitrile gloves and a CPR barrier are the first things you see when you open your kit, otherwise you'll possibly forget to use them. You might also want to put a headlamp in there.

- Keep the kit simple and focused on things you learned to use during training. Some of the off the shelf kits are overwhelming in the number of items they include, and it makes it hard to fine what you need. As someone else pointed out, you can get a long way with a clean cloth and duct tape. Most items such as medications and bandages have expiration dates, so keeping the kit simple also reduces the cost of periodic restocking.

- Make sure the kit is highly visible and easy to access so that you can tell someone "please grab the orange bag on the back of my seat" and they can find it quickly and easily.

- On longer trips it's a good idea to have each person fill out a brief medial form containing insurance information, emergency contact, allergies, etc. The trip leader can hold onto these and return them at the end of the trip. It's also good to go around the circle and briefly discuss each person's first aid training and supplies so you know where to start in the event of an emergency.

On a more humorous note, if you search for "first aid kit" in Google it's amazing how many people say that they carry supplies for suturing or a needle for draining a tension pneumothorax. I have a friend who is a firefighter and was previously an EMT and a Paramedic, and with all his training he's not licensed to do these procedures.

- Matt

Nate Ervin

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

New Holland, PA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Ervin
Member #

My Dollar Store has excellent bandages and supplies, thier brand, excellent quality. Had to use them on my now departed beloved Lab for his last 2 years. These plus a $10 orange Plano box (Amazon) and I'm gold. (Labeled zip locks for orginization) Add more as I see what I need and gladly will take suggestions. (6 years a Cub/Boy Scout in Kensington section of Phila, yeah we did wound care)!

Last edited:

Ron Clark

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I never make friends on this subject but here is some cold hard truth about store kits.

Never ever ever ever, buy an off the shelf "first aid kit". Why do I use ""? Easy, those things are not first aid kits, they are booboo kits. And you pay WAY to much for them and they are a waste of space. I am an EMT as well as flight medic. I am also certified in Wilderness Medicine. The wife is also a nurse. We build our own kits and do so at a fraction of a pre-made kit. A $20 kit can be built for around $4, a $100 kit can be built for around $30.

This is the kit that lives in my rig. My cost for this was $3700. The closest kit I have seen is not from a manufacturer and still runs $9500 with half of what I have. Here is a hint, you will not find very many band aids in it. This is set up for stuff that will kill you. If anyone is interested in building their own true Trauma Kit, feel free to contact me and I can get you going in the right direction.

However, as has been said many times. No gear is worth anything without the training to effectively use what you have.

Not show in photos is a folding litter.

Attachments

Last edited:

digital_nomad42

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Waynesville, NC
Member #

First-Aid Kit Examples - What's some options for the overlander?

Here are a few kits I've come across that may fit the bill for most OB members. These are just suggestions, but they give you a place to start:

Chinook Home and Vehicle Kit
Chinook Adventurer Kit
Adventure Medical Kit - Marine 600 Kit (Waterproof)

Adventure Medical Kit - Sportsman
Adventure Medical Kit - Mountain Series Weekender
FYI: The Adventure Medical Kit links go to a 404. Looks like they changed their URL scheme.